Stanford Women vs. LMU - Division I Volleyball Playoff RESULTS

  • volleyball ORG
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2000
      For those Stanford fans who were not able to see their team
      in the first round of the NCAA playoffs...

      ---
      Stanford def. Loyola Marymount 15-11, 15-6 and 15-9
      ---

      Santa Barbara, Calif., Thursday, Nov. 30 -
      Stanford jumped to a 5-0 lead over Loyola Marymount
      in game one of their first round NCAA Tournament match
      in Santa Barbara, Calif. on Thursday night,
      setting the tone for a match filled with scoring runs,
      but ultimately ending in a Cardinal sweep, 15-11, 15-6 and 15-9.

      The Lions bounced back in game one, going on a six
      point run of their own to claim a 6-5 lead. With the
      score tied a 7-7, it was the Cardinal which went on
      another run, giving them the lead for good at 11-7. LMU
      scored a pair to narrow the margin to 11-9, but Stanford
      outscored the Lions 4-2 the rest of the way to win game one
      15-11. The Cardinal scored the game-winner on a
      block by Sara Sandrik and Tara Conrad.

      In game two, LMU jumped out to a quick start, pushing
      its lead to 6-2 before Stanford called a timeout.
      Whatever was said in the timeout worked like a charm.
      The Cardinal ran off 13 consecutive points, paced by
      setter Lindsay Kagawa who served 11 straight points of her own, including
      the game-winner to cap a 15-6 victory.
      Stanford outblocked Loyola Marymount 9-3 in game two.
      The Cardinal opened game three with another streak. Taking advantage of Lion
      hitting errors, they jumped out to leads of 6-1 and 9-2. LMU pulled to
      within 9-6, but after a timeout Stanford scored a pair to make it 11-6. The
      Lions made one final rally, pulling to within 11-8, but Stanford outscored
      them 4-1 to close things out, 15-9.

      Stanford was led by sophomore outside hitter Logan Tom who had 16 kills and
      hit .419 in the win. As a team, the Cardinal hit .330 and limited the Lions
      to a miserable .089 hitting percentage. Perhaps most importantly, Stanford
      forced the nation's leader in kills per game, Sarah McFarland, into a
      negative hitting percentage at -.086. As a team, Stanford had 12 kills while
      LMU had only five.

      With the victory, the Cardinal improves to 19-11 and advances to the second
      round of the NCAA Tournament, taking on the winner of Thursday's second
      match between UC Santa Barbara and Texas-San Antonio. The Lions finish their
      season with a record of 19-11.

      UCSB def. Texas-San Antonio 15-5, 15-5, 15-11.
      Stanford takes on the Gauchos in the second round, Friday night
      at 7:30 p.m. in the Thunderdome.

      ---
      POSTGAME QUOTES:

      Stanford Head Coach Denise Corlett

      Opening Statement
      "We did a good job tonight. Our focus was to stop McFarland.
      We have several blockers who can take out a big hitter.
      We were able to do that tonight. When we pass well,
      its very hard to stop us. Detmer and Logan did a nice job."

      On Three Freshman
      "Our freshman were able to come in and do well. It was nice
      to get them some experience. In Game three, I
      decided to switch up the line up. Jenn Harvey came in
      and did a good job."

      On Potentially Meeting UCSB in the next round
      "The same old Santa Barbara, feisty and scrappy, just
      like their coach..."

      Sophomore Logan Tom

      "The whole team did a very good job. We have to learn how to finish.
      Tonight we were able to take advantage and finish off LMU."

      On Olympic experience vs. NCAA experience
      "Just like the Olympics, now is the time to perform. The two teams are
      similar in that both teams didn't have the best records. Yet both
      teams came out and played well. Its time to start all over.
      Everybody has a chance."

      Sara Sandrik

      On team's passing
      "We didn't start off very well. We needed to focus on our technique.
      When we slow down the offense and focus our technique is improved
      and our offense runs better."

      Jenn Detmer
      On Her Role
      "I am supposed to contribute whenever called upon.
      Tonight, I went out and did my job."

      On NCAA's
      "Maybe we do not have the best record, but everybody is starting over.
      And if we focus, we will perform."

      Loyola Marymount
      LMU Head Coach Steve Stratos

      Opening Statement
      "I am proud of our kids. This year we have had lots of physical
      problems and obstacles. I am especially proud of these two seniors
      (Brubacher and McFarland)."

      On Meeting Stanford in First Round
      "This match should not have been a first round match. Two Top-25 teams, its
      ridiculous."

      On Play of Stanford
      "Their block was very effective. Our only success was when we could
      go one-on-one. There was too many spurts where our passing was not able to
      get it done."