Proposed wind ordinance.

  • George M Coladonato
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2011
      Greetings,
      The County’s Draft Wind Ordinance is out for Public Review. Please find it at the following web page.

      Public opinion is requested. Wind is a proven cost effective renewable energy resource. This proposal is a step in the right direction however there are issues that will limit  development. Using the same standards that are working in other counties in the state would be a good starting point.
      Please read the proposal, circulate to all interested parties and let your voice be heard.   Considering the energy independence mandate, economic strain, and climate imperative that we all face, it is critical that we achieve the ability to develop all available forms of clean, safe and renewable energy. By modifying the current wind ordinance toward a more equal footing with solar, you will be helping our region meet demand, protect and strengthen our local economies, and maintain the viability of our environment.
      Gov. Brown is a strong advocate of Distributed Generation (DG) for its many benefits. Developing sufficient DG will be made more achievable through the elimination of any 50kW cap on wind. Where there are proven wind resources, the local economic benefits of energy independence are furthered for all communities through ample wind supply, and our nation's unfortunate dependence on foreign, polluting, and inefficient energy sources will be reduced.

      To further enable regional development and benefits of renewable development including geographically appropriate wind assets, the public-private market model of Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) is a proven concept. Up and running since 1998 in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and then Ohio, CCA finally came to California in the successful form of the Marin Energy Authority in 2010. Now proving economically viable, MEA is a model to be tailored to suit the very specific regional values and assets of our county. We can be our own market and supply for a resilient, cost-competitive energy portfolio, just by voting this model in.

      LEAN, or the Local Energy Aggregation Network, is available for public presentations, webinars, and personal meetings. A non-profit committed to the expansion and market success of new CCA clean energy agencies, LEAN is working with communities in New York, Illinois and California, with outreach and allies in Massachusetts, Ohio, Rhode Island, Colorado and New Jersey. From LEAN's materials: “Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) offers local governments and their constituents a tremendous opportunity to band together to access the benefits of the US energy market. By pooling (or aggregating) the electrical load of one or more communities, CCA enables energy rate savings, cleaner energy supply, local investment and economic development, and the integration of energy programs tailored to local goals. As a public business model that doesn’t rely on taxpayer support or Federal subsidies, Community Choice Aggregation is exploding in popularity across the country. Successful CCA programs are operational in Massachusetts, Ohio, California, Illinois and Rhode Island, with numerous others underway.” To my thinking, CCA could and should be implemented in San Diego County.

      Following are some timely facts from others:
      Wind, geothermal and biomass are already less expensive than any fossil fuel energy source, when factoring in federal incentives for all three sources.
      Solar PV is the most expensive, but has strong prospects for lower price. Already, the average cost for German solar PV (10 to 100 kilowatt (kW) systems) has fallen to $3.70 per Watt, 10 and some 1 MW solar PV systems in the U.S. are being installed at $3.50 per Watt, pushing the lower bound of the prices in the chart. A design charette aimed at reducing balance of system costs found that best practices could reduce solar PV installed costs by nearly 60 percent within five years, not counting further cost reductions in solar modules.11 at these prices, renewable energy competes very favorably against most new fossil fuel generation.

      Federal incentives cause a significant reduction in the levelized cost of renewable energy, in the form of upfront tax credits as well as ongoing production-based tax credits.
      Solar and wind have no fuel cost, so they can always outbid fossil fuel power on the spot market. Instead of matching demand by stacking intermediate and peaking plants on top of base load power plants, the new grid will take all available renewables first and then use demand management, storage, and intermediate/peaking fossil fuel power plants to match supply with demand.

      While I applaud the proposal as a big step in the right direction I feel that the proposed wind ordinance does not place wind development with solar.
      Please consider increasing modification to the wind ordinance to allow property owners generate ALL of their energy needs for DG not limit it to 50kw.
      With the improvements in Vertical Axis Turbines (VAT)and shorter Horizontal Axis Turbines also please consider raising the height limit to that approved for MET’s. They will be under the flight limit and take advantage of the richer wind resources at that elevation. The VATS though not as efficient or productive have a proven safety record for the bird population.

      Thank you and Be well
      George M Coladonato