New Post: How Deficit Hawks Use a Distorted Moral System ("Smart for One, Dumb for All") to Stampede Lawmakers and the Public

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31 2:13 PM
      Friends and Colleagues,

      My alarm about the course of the debate about the economy and budget deficits in Washington continues.  As previously noted, lawmakers are facing monumental decisions that will have long-lasting consequences for our societies.   Via bad economics, we are being "stampeded" into making very poor decisions about a whole host of issues.

      I have located an area where we can in a systematic way understand how the argument has been derailed.  This involves a look at the ethical frameworks that underlie individual preferences for different models of how the economy works.  In any case, the first post in what will be a series, uses the concept of "Smart for One, Dumb for All" to describe a fundamental divide in how individuals approach the most important decisions they make including in economics:

      To give you a sense of the flow of the argument here are the sub-headings for this post:

      1)  Public Deficit Debate Summarized
      2) A Political Advantage Despite Disconnection from Reality
      3) The Deficit Hawk Moral and Emotional Narrative:  Punishment for Excess
      4) Fooled by "Smart for One, Dumb for All" Morality
      5) The Fundamental Cognitive Error
      6) Political Leadership, Economics, and Reality Require More than "Smart for One, Dumb for All"

      Comments, thoughts are welcome!

      All the best,

      Michael

      Blog:  www.greenthoughts.us