A Monumental Choice: Social Solidarity (and Deficit Spending) or Social Fragmentation (and Chaos)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2011
      Friends and Colleagues,

      On my politics blog this weekend, I've posted a piece on a fundamental choice facing Americans and American politicians.  As unsavory a notion as "deficit spending" underlies a commitment to social solidarity in our current state.  Ideally, we in the US would have "saved for a rainy day" by collecting more in taxes when times were better.  But right now we are not choosing between the ideal and the not-ideal.

      In this post, I think I move the "ball down the field" with regard to how to characterize the efforts of the radical Republican Right to derail real discussions regarding America's future.  Continuing the theme in my earlier post on "termites", I point out that Republicans have no clue how to lead a complex civilization and the triumph of their efforts will lead to social fragmentation.

      While this post doesn't deal specifically with our climate and energy concerns, I am of the belief that a government that rules out deficit spending will be "dead in the water" in dealing with fundamental change in our energy and transport infrastructures.

      Please comment if the spirit moves you!

      All the best,

      Michael

      Blog:  www.greenthoughts.us