New Green Thoughts Post -- Natural Gas: "False Friend" of Energy Consumers, Policymakers, and the Environment

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5 9:42 PM
      Friends and Colleagues,

      The aspect of natural gas is changing as information continues to pile up in the wake of the release of the movie Gasland, about the differences between conventional natural gas and its supposed cleanliness and the reality of natural gas today.  For the sake of our hesitating political leaders, I had hoped that natural gas would provide us with a fossil fuel "crutch" that would tide us over to the post-carbon future.  However upon viewing materials from Gasland and the increasing reliance on unconventional "tight" gas, it appears to me that assumptions by regulators, policymakers and advocates that natural gas is twice as clean as coal and 33% cleaner than gasoline may be based on outdated analyses.

      My latest post uses the metaphor of a "false friend" to try to un-pack the complex relationship that we have with natural gas:

      It helps that I have family connections to "Gasland" in Pennsylvania.

      I offer in this post a series of technological and policy suggestions for how to address our natural gas dependence.  Luckily, some of these suggestions overlap with what I would hope would be best practices in reducing oil and coal dependence as well.  Still the cumulative effect of thinking this through has reinforced for me the urgency of starting to build the renewable energy future right now rather than wait for serendipity or technological breakthroughs to pave the way.

      Please post or send your comments!

      All the Best,

      Michael

      Blog:  www.greenthoughts.us