Response to the Oil Spill: An Oil-Independence Plan for the US

    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2010
      Friends and Colleagues,
      The politics of energy in Washington nowadays is a little like the world "behind the looking glass", especially as regards the oil dependence of the US.  In an effort to create some clarity, the latest post on my blog offers a way out of that looking glass world.

      The latest post, called "The Deepwater Oil Spill Exposes a Persistent Failure to Plan and Failure to Lead" is available in blog format with the ability to comment here:

      Or as a PDF here:

      In this long piece, I try to hold the 16 month old Obama Administration as responsible as is reasonable for our long-standing problems in the area of climate, energy and oil independence. The Administration's immersion in the reality of Washington has seemingly led it/President Obama to lose sight of the broader impacts of policy and the economy as well as the geophysical reality of climate change and oil depletion. The Deepwater Horizon disaster is not simply a matter of corporate malfeasance and greed but an outgrowth of our own short-sightedness in the area of energy.

      I believe the central "diagnosis" is that of an almost 40 year failure to plan for the end of the oil and the failure of leaders to "grasp the nettle" of our oil addiction.

      I offer an oil independence plan with two components:
      1) More Efficient Use of Oil
      2) Oil-Independent Infrastructure and Vehicles

      As these are ambitious, necessary but absolutely achievable goals, I also enumerate and offer suggestions about overcoming the obvious hurdles for our leadership to overcome to implement this or a similarly aggressive effort to insulate our economy from oil depletion and reduce climate impacts.

      I identify 6 hurdles:
      1) Market Idealization (Market Fundamentalism) vs. Planning
      2) Deficit Worries and Hysteria
      3) Balancing the Interest of Stakeholders; Mix of Public and Private Enterprise
      4) Some Americans' Love of Expansive Resource Use (and Disregarding the Consequences)
      5) The Biofuels Distraction
      6) Corporate Funding of and Influence in American Politics

      Please share your thoughts and comments!

      All the best,

      Michael

      Blog:  www.greenthoughts.us