New Post: Evaluating Climate and Energy Bills Under Two Conditions: High and Low Voter Concern

    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2010
      Friends and Colleagues,
      I've just posted some reflections on the political landscape surrounding the just-released Kerry Lieberman climate and energy bill.  This is not a detailed analysis of a bill that may not go very far but the presentation of a more general framework to think about the politics surround any piece of legislation of this nature.  I am suggesting that policy proposals look very different if the public is actively engaged in the discussion or is essentially detached from it, especially in a Washington that is largely run by special interests.

      The post can be found here:

      I am ambivalent about this largely toothless bill and I hope this exploration will be a help to you in your thinking about the politics of global warming.  The bill, as does the Obama administration in general falls down badly in the areas of renewable energy, oil independence and energy efficiency.  However the writers of the bill have recognized some of the more disastrous aspects of cap and trade and amended it via a cap and dividend bill with a price collar.  Therefore it will not install as many powerful and extraneous stakeholders as cap and trade, which would resist the turn toward a a more serious policy whenever the public and/or political leaders are ready for it.

      I've prepared a longer piece on what I think should be done in response to the Deepwater Horizon spill but the announcement of Kerry Lieberman yesterday is more topical.  That piece should be up shortly as well.

      Please share your comments and thoughts!

      All the best,

      Michael

      Blog:  www.greenthoughts.us