Re: [calfit] FITs or RECs, which is best? asks the IREC

  • Paul Gipe
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2009
      Bob,

      Kudos for doing this. IREC has been problematic in the past. They push tradition programs such as net metering. We need to move them in our direction.

      Paul
      At 11:24 AM 6/10/2009, you wrote:

      Hi everyone -

      I'm sure everyone knows about this group: Interstate Renewable Energy Council < http://www.irecusa.org>.

      They occasionally send out an email newsletter. In the latest issue the editor, Laurel Varnado, asks:

      "Which policy, or mix of policies, best incentivizes renewable energy additionality, and which merely provides financial gain for projects that would have otherwise existed on their own? This remains one of the most interesting of unanswered questions regarding state policies and REC ownership. If you have any theories, we’d love to hear them."

      So I replied (ranted perhaps):

      That's too easy: Feed-in tariffs are proven the single most effective incentive that equitably accelerates deployment of renewable energy generation capacity while inspiring investor confidence through policy stability.

      Quota systems (RPS), tax incentives, government and utility subsidies as well as renewable energy credits (RECs) are clearly the most ineffective, inequitable, and unstable polices that strangle attempts to deploy RE capacity. In particular, RECs create markets and players who have little to do with increasing RE capacity. For every dollar that lands in a market-troll's pocket is one that did not manufacture or install renewable energy generating equipment.

      Feel free to enlighten Laurel yourself. You may weigh in by sending an email to: Laurel Varnado, lavarnad@....

      Be well,
      Bob Tregilus
      Co-chair -
      Alternative Transportation Club &
      Electric Auto Association of Northern Nevada
      http://ElectricNevada.org
      775 826-4514

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional