UK govt to adopt feed-in tariffs (!!!!?)

  • Paul Gipe
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2008
      From Miguel Mendonca.

      If true this is a very significant development meaning the UK is following the example of Italy for micro generation.

      Paul
      ------------

      Government backflip on solar panel policy

      By Charles Clover, Environment Editor
      Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 03/03/2008

      Householders will be able to make money by fitting solar panels or
      mini wind turbines to their roofs, under proposals to be announced in
      the Budget next week.

      Those who generate their own renewable energy through the devices will
      be able to sell their surplus electricity to the National Grid, at a
      guaranteed price.

      Solar panels: Excess electricity generated by home devices will be
      sold back to the National Grid
      Solar panels: Excess electricity generated by home devices will be
      sold back to the National Grid

      The scheme, known as "feed in tariffs", gives long-term financial
      security to homeowners who instal the expensive electricity generation
      equipment.

      It has been highly successful in Germany but the Government is said to
      have held out against new rules for small-scale power generation since
      Labour was elected in 1997. There are more solar panels in the German
      city of Freiburg than in the whole of Britain.

      The Government has now decided to embrace feed-in tariffs.

      Malcolm Wickes, the energy minister, told an evidence session on the
      Energy Bill the Government is looking at new proposals to boost
      micro-generation - where homes and businesses produce their own
      electricity - including a feed-in tariff.

      The Conservatives said the Government decision to consider feed in
      tariffs represented a massive U-turn. They also claimed it was a new
      example of Gordon Brown's government "stealing" a Tory policy,
      following decisions to raise the threshold of inheritance tax and
      pinch Tory plans for taxing flights not passengers. David Cameron
      announced the Tories' support for feed in tariffs at Greenpeace's
      offices just before Christmas.

      Peter Ainsworth, the Tory front-bench environment spokesman, said:
      "This is a huge U-turn. I don't mind if the Government pinches our
      policies because it indicates that we are leading the debate on ideas
      for dealing with climate change.

      "It is a pity that the Government has done nothing for 10 years when
      it could have come up with our policies. If they mean what they say it
      will transform the market for electricity generation in this country.
      The question is are they serious? Or are they just saying things that
      we said because they know they are right and popular?"

      John Sauven, executive director of Greenpeace: said: "At last the
      Government is giving in to common sense. Feed-in tariffs have been
      proven the world over to be the most effective and economic way of
      creating a successful renewables sector.

      "This Government has clung to a complex mechanism that costs more than
      feed in tariffs and delivers less. If we are to meet our commitments
      on renewable energy we will need this kind of low cost and effective
      support for clean technologies to really take off."

      A spokesman for the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory
      Reform said the proposals to create feed in tariffs for
      micro-generation would not affect large renewables schemes, which
      would continue to be funded by the Renewables Obligation, which
      ministers still considered "fit for purpose".

      New EU targets state Britain must generate 15 per cent of its energy
      from renewable sources by 2020.

      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/03/03/easolar102.xml
      Paul Gipe
      208 S. Green St., #5
      Tehachapi CA 93561-1741 USA
      661 325 9590, 661 472 1657 mobile
      pgipe@...
      www.wind-works.org
      World Wind Energy Conference 2008: Community Power June 24-26, Kingston, Ontario