Carbon Pricing Analysis: Part 3 - Other Key Market Failures - Infrastructure and Scientific Research

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2009
      In part 3 of the carbon pricing mega-post, I have continued the list of questionable assumptions in carbon pricing policy with one final flaw related to infrastructure, the choice of infrastructures between lower and zero net carbon emissions potential.  I point out that infrastructure and scientific research are two persistent market failures which require substantial support from governments to deliver value to market participants and the citizenry in general.  I contend that the monocular focus on carbon pricing has "balled up" (miscategorized, "vermengt") these two persistent market failures into the failure of markets to account for carbon emissions.  A break with the idealization of markets, enables us to acknowledge the distinctness of these market failures.

      Part 3 can be found here:

      http://terraverde.wordpress.com/2009/02/11/carbonpolicy3/

      Comments and questions welcome and encouraged!

      Michael

      Blog:  www.greenthoughts.us