Denver Events -- and Help w/Contacts w/Gov. Granholm

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2008
      We've just heard about a Town Meeting at the Democratic National
      Convention in Denver on Tuesday night (report below). We hope some
      members of this list who are connected with Michigan's Governor
      Jennifer Granholm or who are attending the convention will be able to
      help ensure that the meeting includes a strong focus on plug-in cars.
      And we hope they can help connect this event with the "Electric
      Vehicle Rolling Showcase" happening outside the convention. Details
      of both are below -- followed by the results of our request for
      quotes about skepticism and inevitability.

      "Dems tap Granholm for alternative energy session," reported by Mark
      Hornbeck / Detroit News Lansing Bureau
      http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080823/POLITICS01/808230342

      LANSING -- Gov. Jennifer Granholm will play a role in the Democratic
      National Convention in Denver after all: She'll moderate a town hall
      meeting Tuesday night on alternative energy, one of her favorite topics.

      The governor was contacted late Thursday by the Barack Obama campaign
      about leading the energy discussion, and unveiled the plans at a news
      conference Friday.

      "Michigan was selected for that because we have been focused on
      alternative and renewable energy," said Granholm.

      Details of the energy session -- time, place, participants -- haven't
      been determined, the governor's office said.

      Granholm has been pushing an energy package that includes a mandate
      that 10 percent of the state's electricity be generated by renewable
      sources by 2015. But the legislation hasn't passed the Senate. She
      has said the location of alternative energy businesses here depends
      on passage of the bills.....She will remain in Lansing on Monday to
      take care of that business before leaving for Denver.

      Electric Vehicle Rolling Showcase to Demo Cars at the 2008 Democratic
      National Convention

      10 Cars, Including the Tesla Roadster and AC Propulsion eBox Will Be
      on Hand to Give Rides, Educate Lawmakers and Public

      CONTACT: Nate Vanderschaaf, 303-520-4518 natevanderschaaf@...
      Erin Pickard, 719-349-0160 epickard@...

      Colorado Democratic Delegate, Nathan Vanderschaaf, will kickoff the
      weeklong Electric Vehicle Rolling Showcase, an exhibit of some of the
      world's most impressive electric vehicles (EV's), on Sunday, Aug. 24
      at the 2008 Democratic National Convention at the New Energy Station
      near the intersection of Champa Street and Speer Boulevard in Denver.

      Ten electric vehicles, including the Tesla Roadster, Toyota RAV4 EV,
      AC Propulsion eBox and a plug-in Toyota Prius will be on hand, giving
      rides to policy makers and the public in order to emphasize the
      desire of electric cars for the average commuter and show that EVs
      are a very real solution to the current energy and climate crisis.

      "Most people are uninformed about the reality of where EV technology
      is today," said Vanderschaaf. "We have several cars and industry
      experts, like `Who Killed the Electric Car?' stars Colette Divine and
      Paul Scott, to dispel those myths and show people that EVs are a
      real, cost-saving, higher-performing alternative to gas powered
      vehicles. The reason is that electric motors are more efficient than
      gasoline engines, using drastically less energy. They also have only
      a few moving parts, whereas their gas-powered counterparts have
      hundreds - resulting in more maintenance expenses in addition to gas
      expenses over the long term."

      Interested parties are invited to come take a ride in an electric
      vehicle. If you'd like to get on the ride schedule, contact us at
      www.evshowcase.wordpress.com.

      About the Electric Vehicle Rolling Showcase: Organized by Colorado
      Democratic Delegate Nathan Vanderschaaf, the Electric Vehicle Rolling
      Showcase is the premier interactive exhibit of electric vehicles at
      the 2008 Democratic National Convention. Vanderschaaf is a passionate
      proponent of the electric lifestyle, getting involved with the
      political process in large part to influence policy makers' choices
      and opinions in regards to electric vehicles. The Electric Vehicle
      Rolling Showcase will be based at the New Energy Station, near the
      corner of Champa and Speer and will exhibit from Sunday, August 24
      through the end of the convention, Thursday, August 28. See
      www.evshowcase.wordpress.com for more information.

      UPDATE ON THAT QUOTE: We were inspired to ask for help again on the
      Denver event after the quick response to our request yesterday for
      help locating a quote like the one we cited from Christopher Reeve
      (see http://www.calcars.org/calcars-news/985.html ). Subscriber
      Andrew Burnette sent us to
      http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/weird/skepquot.html , a website that
      will inspire an entertain you for at least a half hour as you look at
      the quotes, including three that involve our theme. Here's the one we
      were looking for.

      "All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed;
      Second, it is violently opposed; and Third, it is accepted as
      self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

      But, though it's universally attributed to Schopenhauer online, it
      turns out he may not have said it, as we learned at the moment we
      also discovered Wikiquote --
      http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Arthur_Schopenhauer . We also like the
      other two (great minds think alike), below.

      "Theories have four stages of acceptance: i) this is worthless
      nonsense; ii) this is an interesting, but perverse, point of view;
      iii) this is true, but quite unimportant; iv) I always said so.
      -J.B.S. Haldane, 1963

      "When a thing is new, people say: 'It is not true.' Later, when its
      truth becomes obvious, they say: 'It is not important.' Finally, when
      its importance cannot be denied, they say: 'Anyway, it is not
      new.'" - William James, 1896

      PLUS TWO BONUS QUOTES:

      "Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are
      that good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." - Howard Aiken

      "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds
      new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it!) but 'That's
      funny...' " - Isaac Asimov