GM Continues Series vs. Parallel Hybrid Debate

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2008
      GM in promoting the Volt, which it calls an "Extended Range Electric
      Vehicle" (E-REV), and most observers describe as a series PHEV, is
      continuing to make the strong case that this architecture is superior
      to parallel hybrids. In a presentation at the Society of Automotive
      Engineers Hybrid Conference in San Diego, GM's Peter Savagian, Hybrid
      Powertrain Engineering Director, compares the benefits of the
      different alternatives, especially in fuel used and cold starts to
      parallel hybrids and to today's aftermarket conversions of Priuses.
      (GM is also working on the Saturn Vue, a "blended" parallel PHEV.)

      The quick explanation: series PHEVs are easier to design and build;
      advocates of full parallel systems say they can be better optimized.
      Our Technology Lead, Ron Gremban, may have comments in a few days, on
      returning from the conference; meanwhile, here's Savagian's posting
      to GM's Fastlane blog and a link to a PDF of his 35-slide
      presentation. You can also read a report and comments at GreenCar
      Congress http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/02/gm-study-shows.html
      . If you pick and choose among the many comments and look for the
      serious ones that are on-topic and not sarcastic, you'll note that
      what jumps out for several posters is that the comparisons seem to be
      between a Volt with more than twice as much energy storage as the
      other two vehicles.

      Driving the Volt
      By Pete Savagian, Engineering Director, GM Hybrid Powertrain Engineering
      http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2008/02/driving_the_vol.html

      The public's appetite for information on the Volt never ceases to
      amaze me. The concept obviously struck a chord, although I probably
      shouldn't be surprised; I was one of the chief engineers for our last
      battery electric vehicle -- the EV1. The public's reaction to the
      Volt is somewhat similar, although on an even larger scale, to the
      reaction we received when we built the EV1 -- the first modern
      electric vehicle.

      The EV1 was one of the most technologically advanced vehicles for its
      time with a passionate, loyal group of customers. We learned an awful
      lot from the EV1 program, knowledge that's being put to use right now
      on the development of the Chevy Volt. The fact is, reducing our
      dependence on petroleum requires vehicles that provide the
      petroleum-free benefits we know electric vehicle drivers are
      passionate about, but we also need to offer the flexibility to be
      able to drive hundreds of miles at a time between fill-ups. People
      expect that type of freedom every time they take the wheel.

      We believe an Extended-Range Electric Vehicle (E-REV) like the Volt
      is that kind of vehicle. E-REVs are electric vehicles that provide
      full performance on electric power alone and only engage energy from
      the gas in the tank after the battery is discharged. Based on our
      studies, a vehicle like this offers tremendous potential to reduce
      petroleum use and emissions.

      Earlier today at the Hybrid Vehicle Technologies 2008 Symposium in
      San Diego, Calif., I shared some results from our analysis of what an
      E-REV could do in the hands of regular drivers. We used real world
      data from the Regional Travel Survey conducted by the Southern
      California Association of Governments over the past few years. The
      survey measured the daily driving habits of over 600 commuters in the
      Los Angeles area, one of the world's busiest, most congested driving regions.

      What we learned was pretty telling. If everyone in this study drove a
      vehicle like the Volt:

      * Sixty-four percent of the drivers in this study would never use a
      single drop of gas during their daily travels.
      * On average, Volt drivers commuting less than 75 miles a day would
      use 1/5th the fuel compared to drivers using a conventionally-powered vehicle.
      * Drivers of the Volt would have 70 percent fewer initial engine
      starts than conventionally-powered vehicles. Initial engine starts
      are a large factor in the total emissions produced.

      Please take a look at the presentation, "Driving the Volt."
      http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/PDF/presentation-sm.pdf I think you'll
      agree, the potential of the E-Flex technology to improve every day
      driving is real and something we can all get excited about. I'm
      excited about this and it is this potential that "drives the Volt"
      team each and every day.

      Thanks, Pete