Key US Officials Get V2G Demo: Report by John Wellinghoff

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2007
      Here's a report from Federal Energy Regulatory Commissioner Jon
      Wellinghoff, followed by the official agenda from the event and some
      more general comments about V2G. We hope soon to add a photo or two
      of the event at http://www.calcars.org/photos-leaders.html . This
      demonstration, for the first time involving a utilty transmission
      operator, expands on previous demonstrations of "running the meter
      backwards" by PG&E and Google.org.

      JON WELLINGHOFF
      We had a incredible day here at FERC with Dr. Willett Kempton of U.
      Delaware, Diarmuid O'Connell of Tesla, and David Sandalow [of the
      Brookings Institute, author of the new book, Freedom From Oil] and a
      Prius PHEV converted by A123. We put on a two hour seminar on V2G for
      the Chairman of FERC, Joseph Kelliher, and two other FERC
      Commissioners, Phil Moeller and Suedeen Kelly. Also attending were
      numerous FERC staffers as well as utility representatives and members
      of the press. Fox News had cameras here to cover the event.

      The purpose of the seminar was to first discuss and then actually
      demonstrate V2G capability with a converted vehicle to the regional
      transmission operator, PJM. Dr. Kempton brought an eBox (Scion
      converted to EV) by AC Propulsion that had been enhanced with the
      communication hardware that is currently used by a small power plant
      to communicate to PJM.

      We had the IT Director of PJM present. He had a laptop that was wired
      to the PJM control center via the Internet. From the laptop he was
      able to see the eBox vehicle and communicate with it just as if it
      were a generator and provide signals to it to supply grid support of
      frequency response. He indicated that the response time was literally
      milliseconds -- the fastest frequency response time he has ever seen
      from a grid asset like a generator. We were able to physically
      demonstrate, by running the electric meter connected to the vehicle
      both forwards and backward at the command of PJM, the feasibility of
      V2G ancillary services to the wholesale electric grid.

      This is the first time to my knowledge this has ever been publicly
      demonstrated. It was the most exciting and historic event I have ever
      witnessed in the electric industry in my 35 year career.

      PROGRAM
      The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission Presents:
      Automobile meets Grid
      The "Cash Back" in CashBack Hybrid
      Wednesday, October 24, 2007

      I. Welcome Remarks
      Chairman Joseph Kelliher

      II. Introduction of Keynote Speakers
      Commissioner Jon Wellinghoff

      III. Keynote Addresses
      - Willett Kempton PhD., University of Delaware, "Vehicle-to-Grid
      Power providing A/S Regulation" (Dr. Kempton will present on behalf
      of PEPCO and Delmarva)
      - Diarmuid O'Connell, Corporate Development, Tesla Motors Inc
      - David Sandalow, Author, Freedom From Oil, Senior Fellow, Foreign
      Policy Studies, The Brookings Institution

      ADJOURN TO CAR DISPLAY OUTSIDE BUILDING
      Vehicles:
      - eBox with Pepco Holdings meter and real-time AGC control signal
      - Tesla Roadster
      - Prius with plug-in modification

      FURTHER COMMENTS AND NOTES ABOUT V2G
      We've gotten some good feedback about our 10/22/07 posting, "World's
      First V2G Demo: Xcel/Hybrids Plus/V2Green/US Lab+Ford Escape Hybrids"
      http://www.calcars.org/calcars-news/861.html which included some
      cautions about not overstating the benefits or immediacy of V2G. The
      most helpful comment was a suggestion that we begin to separate out
      the many different aspects of what happens when you plug in cars:
      each of them has technologies, business cases, pros and cons and
      timetables. They break out first into three categories:

      Grid-To-Vehicle (G2V): for instance, when the power grid operator
      controls when it sends power to recharge fleet and personal vehicles.
      In contrast for instance to appliances that are in use, if the car is
      available to be charged all night, the grid could decide to charge
      for a few minutes, stop and then restart, with no negative
      consequences to the car but significant benefits to the grid.

      Vehicle-To-Home (V2H): when the car is integrated with the home
      network, with "smart appliances" and "smart meters" like those that
      are coming in the next few years across California. This can provide
      backup power to the house, for instance. Southern California Edison's
      project with Ford may focus on this.

      Vehicle-To-Grid (V2G): a fuller integration of the car with the power
      generation industry. It may require fewer cars than other
      applications, and it may require higher-power connections to permit
      rapid transfers of substantial amounts of energy.

      We are hoping, with other involved parties, to get the resources and
      help to be able at some point to provide a more systematic
      introduction to V2G for non-technical policy analysts, journalists,
      PHEV advocates, etc.