Toyota's Press Release & Partial Specifics for its PHEV

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2007
      We based our initial comments on news reports that the vehicles would
      be tested both in Japan and the U.S., but this official announcement
      says the company will start in Japan, with "plans to conduct public
      road tests in the U.S. and Europe." We'll get clarifications and, we
      hope, further technical details, over the next few days!

      Japan Certifies Toyota Plug-in Hybrid for Public-road Tests
      Japan Corporate Newswire
      http://www.japancorp.net/Article.Asp?Art_ID=14929

      Tokyo, Japan, July 25, 2007 - (JCN Newswire) - TOYOTA MOTOR
      CORPORATION (TMC) announced today that it has developed a plug-in
      hybrid vehicle and become the first manufacturer to have such a
      vehicle certified for use on public roads in Japan.

      The TOYOTA Plug-in HV-certified for public road-use by Japan's
      Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport-uses, like earlier
      TMC-developed hybrid vehicles, both a gasoline-powered internal
      combustion engine and an electric motor. But increased battery
      capacity gives it a longer electric-motor-only cruising range and a
      battery-charging device allows users to replenish the batteries using
      household electricity. These features enable the vehicle to run more
      often in gasoline-free, electric-only mode, such as on short trips in
      city driving. The resulting fuel efficiency improvements mean lower
      CO2 emissions and less fossil fuel consumption and, therefore, less
      pollution. Also, charging the battery with less-expensive nighttime
      electricity lowers total running costs, providing an economic benefit
      to owners.

      Although challenges still exist in the development of pure electric
      vehicles such as a limited cruising range and issues related to cost,
      TMC still views plug-in hybrid vehicles as a promising technology for
      allowing electricity to serve as a viable power source for
      automobiles and is committed to their continued development as a key
      environmental technology.

      TMC plans to conduct public-road tests in Japan with eight units of
      the TOYOTA Plug-in HV to verify electric-motor-only cruising ranges
      and optimal battery capacity. While doing so, it plans to provide the
      government with data for formulating testing methods for emissions
      and fuel efficiency and to consider TMC's measures for promoting
      plug-in hybrids and the use of electricity. There are also plans to
      conduct public-road tests of the TOYOTA Plug-in HV in the United
      States and in Europe.

      --- Main Specifications of Toyota Plug-in HV ------------
      Vehicle
      Name: TOYOTA Plug-in HV
      Length/Width/Height: 4,445/1,725/1,490mm
      Weight: 1,360kg
      Seating capacity: 5 persons
      Performance in electric vehicle mode
      Cruising range: 13km in the 10-15 Japanese test cycle
      Maximum vehicle speed: 100km/h
      Engine
      Displacement: 1,496cc
      Maximum output: 56kW(76PS)/5,000rpm
      Maximum torque: 110N-m (11.2kg-m)/4,000rpm
      Motor
      Type: AC synchronous motor
      Maximum output: 50kW(68PS)/1,200-1,540rpm
      Maximum torque: 400N-m(40.8kg-m)/0-1,200rpm
      Secondary battery
      Type: Nickel-metal hydride
      Capacity: 13Ah (6.5Ah x 2)
      Rated voltage: 202V
      Overall system
      Maximum output*: 100kW (136PS)
      Voltage: 202-500V
      Battery charging
      Power source: Household electrical power
      Charging time: 1-1.5hrs (200V), 3-4hrs (100V)

      Based on TMC calculations; output that the system can achieve using
      engine power and electric motor power (electric motor power is
      dependent on battery power)

      About Toyota Motor Corporation

      Toyota Motor Corporation (TSE: 7203; NYSE: TM), established in 1937,
      is one of the world's representative automobile manufacturers,
      producing vehicles in 26 countries and regions and marketing vehicles
      in more than 170 countries and regions. In fiscal 2006, Toyota
      provided nearly eight million vehicles on a consolidated basis to
      customers around the world under the Toyota, Lexus, Daihatsu and Hino
      brands. Toyota had more than 280,000 employees at the end of fiscal
      2006. The company is headquartered in Aichi, Japan. For more
      information, please visit www.toyota.co.jp/en/index.html .

      Contact:
      Toyota Motor Corporation
      Corporate Communications Department