PHEVs Highlight 2nd Hybridfest in Madison Wisconsin July 22

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2007
      Hybridfest is a gathering that expresses the
      intense energy of hybrid owners who became
      organized in the tens of thousands through online
      venues like Yahoo Groups, PriusChat,
      HybridCars.com and EVWorld. These communities are
      where the famous "EV Button" was first discussed,
      and where future Hypermilers first compared notes
      about "pulse and glide" techniques.

      Last year, the first Hybridfest showed that
      drivers were willing to drive across the country
      to come and talk about their passion. Those who
      came to the event were able to see a PHEV for the
      first time -- a car from Hymotion.

      In the second annual Hybridfest, coming up in
      three weeks, PHEVs and their owners will be
      center stage. It will be one of the largest
      gatherings of PHEVs to date. And it may include
      an on-the-spot conversion. It's a great
      opportunity for Midwesterners who haven't gotten
      to our events to experience PHEVs!

      We wish we could be there -- but many of those we
      work with will be, including Sherry Boschert,
      talking about her book both days, and Ted Bohn
      from Argonne National Lab. A representative from
      A123Systems, which acquired Hymotion, will be
      there, as will Nick Rothman, a key player in our
      Maker Faire and other conversions, and Pat Cadam,
      of Pat's Garage in San Francisco. (Nick and Pat
      have been involved in many West Coast Hymotion installations.)

      Here's the list of PHEVs expected to be there,
      followed by details and a local newspaper story.
      We hope top sponsors Toyota, GM and Ford will be paying attention!

      1. Prius PHEV - Todd Dore and Fox Valley
      Electric Auto Association, "GrayPearl,"
      EAA-PHEV/Manzanita Micro-style (#21 on our list
      <http://www.calcars.org/where-phevs-are.html>)

      2. Prius PHEV - Horacio Calvento, "Dual-PWR,"
      EAA-PHEV/Manzanita Micro-style, Long Island Prius
      Owners Group. (#26 on our list)

      3. Prius PHEV - Wisconsin Public Power Inc.
      (WPPI) by Hymotion (#43 on our list)

      4. Saturn VUE Green Line PHEV - Argonne
      Labs. Through The Road Parallel Hybrid. Research platform.

      5. G-Volt PHEV - Argonne Labs. Series hybrid
      with 10w hour battery . Chevy Volt hybrid specs
      on Geo research platform. Vehicle to Grid capable.

      6. In addition, WPPI is scheduled to have another
      one of its stock Priuses converted to a PHEV by
      Hymotion on-site on Sunday afternoon.

      Learn more at <http://www.hybridfest.com> It's at
      the Dane County Fair at the Alliant Energy Center
      in Madison, WI Saturday, July 21 - Sunday, July
      22, 2007. Admission to the Dane County Fair also
      gets you admission to Hybridfest: Free for
      children 5 and under, $3 for age 6-11, and $6 for
      everyone 12+. Parking is free!

      Hybridfest 2007 will include:
      *Hybrid Owners Car Showcase - This year's goal: 200 Hybrids on site!
      *Hybrid car test drives.
      *Exciting and interesting exhibitors.
      *Door prizes.
      *Hybrid and environmental speakers.
      *Hybridfest All-Hybrid Car Display Awards.
      *Hybridfest People's Choice Awards.
      *Hybridfest MPG Challenge (for Members).
      *Lots of time for hybrid car owner camaraderie

      A fuel savers' dream: Hybridfest plugged in with county fair
      Madison County Times, Jeff Richgels — 6/28/2007
      http://www.madison.com/tct/business/199294

      Plug-in electric hybrid vehicles will be the
      focus of the second annual Hybridfest, which
      again is being held in conjunction with the Dane County Fair.

      Thanks to their extra batteries, plug-ins can
      travel up to about 40 miles per day solely on
      electric power, enabling those who don't drive
      much to all but forget filling up their gas tank.
      (Non plug-in hybrids charge while the car is decelerating and at a stop.)

      Plug-ins do draw power from power plants, but
      that results in less greenhouse gas emissions
      than from direct burning of gasoline. And since
      the charging typically is done at night when
      power demand is well below day-time peaks, a big
      jump in plug-in use wouldn't mean a need for new power plants.

      Eric Powers, founder of the Madison Hybrid Group
      and an organizer of Hybridfest, sees plug-in
      hybrids as a bridge to the future of all electric or hydrogen vehicles.

      "I think it really is the next progression" in
      vehicle technology, Powers said. "In my opinion,
      people will think, Gosh, I'm driving so much on
      the electric, why am I also lugging around this gasoline engine?' "

      Companies sell conversion kits to turn regular
      hybrids into plug-ins, and Toyota and General
      Motors are embracing the technology. However,
      conversions are costly, and automakers need to
      improve the technology before it can come close to being mainstream.

      Hybridfest, which will be two days (July 21-22)
      this year after just one day last year, is
      expected to feature the largest gathering of plug-in hybrids ever, Powers said.

      He said he has received tentative confirmation
      that Wisconsin Public Power Inc. will convert one
      of its Priuses into a plug-in at Hybridfest on July 22.

      Located last year outside the fairgrounds in the
      south parking lot by the Rusk Street entrance,
      Hybridfest this year is moving into the Alliant
      Energy Center Exhibition Hall on the fairgrounds.

      That means it no longer will be free -- admission
      is $6 for adults -- but there are added benefits.

      "It makes a lot of sense," Powers said. "Where we
      were located last year, although it was nice, we
      still were kind of off the beaten path. There may
      have been people going to the fair who walked
      right by it not realizing what was going on. And
      the reality is, sponsors want to bring in big
      items and they want power. We couldn't get power out there last year."

      In addition to more hybrids, Hybridfest also will
      feature biodiesel vehicles, electric bikes and
      neighborhood electric vehicles, as well as free
      hybrid test drives, Powers said.

      All seminars are open to the public and there
      will be larger displays. Details are available at www.hybridfest.com.

      And Toyota will be sending its "Highway to the
      Future," which Powers calls a "semi that's really
      a traveling museum" of hybrid technology,
      alternative fuels and the environment. For
      details, go to www.highwaytothefuture.com.

      With the move to the fairgrounds and increased
      interest in hybrids as gasoline costs remain
      high, Powers expects Hybridfest attendance to dwarf last year's.

      "I think hybrid interest has only grown," he
      said, "and we still year after year answer the
      same questions: Do you have to plug-in regular
      hybrids? Are they underpowered? Can I go 55 in
      them? How often do you have to replace the
      battery? And that's really the point of the show:
      Come and learn more about it so that we can get rid of those myths."

      People who pay $30 to become Hybridfest members
      -- there is a link on the Hybridfest Web site --
      can attend a half-day of activities just for members.

      And there will be a "Hot Rods and Hybrids" event
      open to the public on July 20 from 5-9 p.m. at
      Quaker Steak and Lube in Middleton.