EVWorld Calls 2006 "Year of the Plug-In Hybrid"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2007
      I just paid my annual $29 to re-subscribe to this invaluable
      resource. CalCars-News readers who also support EVWorld can benefit
      from a broad range of news and opinion. Just go to
      <http://www.evworld.com/subscribe.cfm>. EVWorld.com has been
      faithfully chronicling the growth of interest and support for PHEVs,
      including an entire section of its website devoted to what it calls
      "E-Hybrids" <http://www.evworld.com/electrichybrid.cfm>.

      This week, James Woolsey's Wall Street Journal Op-Ed is the cover
      story, along with a photo of him and Andy Frank with our car. And in
      his weekly editorial, Editor/Publisher Bill Moore concludes that
      PHEVs were the story of the year in '06.

      INSIDER COMMENTARY
      As a Premium subscriber you have access to the most current archived
      edition of Insider Commentary. Non-subscriber access is restricted to
      editions at least 30 days old.
      Published: Tuesday, 02 Jan 2007
      http://www.evworld.com/general.cfm?page=insider&title=INSIDER%20COMMENTARIES

      2006: The Year of the Plug-In Hybrid

      Here we are. It's 2007 and things are pretty quiet -- for the moment
      -- in our EV world. It's almost as if the industry has collectively
      exhaled, relaxing briefly from an amazing year of transformation,
      especially in attitudes and perspectives, starting with George Bush's
      amazing 2006 State of the Union address in which he talked about
      America's oil "addiction." It's almost as if he gave the nation
      collective permission to start considering alternatives, though those
      of us in our EV world have long been advocates for many of the
      technologies that now have become the center piece of numerous
      presidential stump speeches.

      Perhaps the biggest change was the acceptance of the concept of
      plug-in hybrids through the efforts of organizations like Plug-In
      Partners, CalCars, the Institute for the Analysis of Global Security
      and many individuals from Felix Kramer to Jim Woolsey to Thomas
      Friedman. If you want a visual illustration of how the concept has
      grown from a handful of visionary pioneers to national consciousness,
      visit the CalCars.org web site and take a look at their People,
      Places and Plug-In Hybrids page
      <http://calcars.org/photos-people.html>. Start at the bottom of the
      page with the photo I took of Greg Hanssen, Seth Seaberg and Felix
      Kramer in the Spring of 2005 outside the convention center in Palm
      Springs. Note as you scroll UP, the individuals from rising levels of
      government and business inspecting and/or driving the first plug-in
      Priuses. It's a pretty amazing album.

      Now all we need are the batteries to make it happen and 2007 could be
      that year. I am keeping my fingers crossed.