First PHEV Book: Pre-Order Now/Nov 12 in SF Buy/Hear Author Sherry Boschert

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2006
      Plug-in Hybrids: The Cars that Will Recharge
      America, by Sherry Boschert (New Society
      Publishers) will be published November 9. CalCars
      is featured prominently in the book, along with
      many of the groups we list at
      <http://www.calcars.org/partners.html>. (We're
      looking forward to seeing it as much as all of you are!)

      The book will be on sale for the first time
      November 10-12 at the San Francisco Green
      Festival
      <http://www.greenfestivals.org/content/view/7/29>,
      the world's largest environmental expo, San
      Francisco Concourse Exhibition Center, 635 8th St (at Brannan St)

      PRE-ORDERING:
      The book will be on sale in independent
      bookstores around December 1 and in chain
      bookstores around December 11. You can pre-order
      the book in the following ways:
      * It's $15 at
      <http://www.pluginamerica.com/wktec.shtml>. Or
      you can donate $75 to Plug In America and get an
      autographed copy with your Plug In America
      membership. (See that URL for other combinations
      that include the book and an autographed copy of
      the forthcoming DVD "Who Killed the Electric Car?")

      * At the author's website
      <http://www.sherryboschert.com/>, until Nov. 9,
      it's $11.53 + shipping and handling, and tax if you live in California.

      * Or come to one of the events where Sherry will
      be speaking and/or signing the book.

      AUTHOR EVENTS:
      Sherry will speak at the SF Green Festival on
      Sunday, Nov. 12 at 4 p.m. and sign copies of the
      book.
      <http://www.greenfestivals.org/content/blogcategory/44/107>.
      (People from CalCars and others will be there as
      well.) Friday-Sunday, come to the SF Electric
      Vehicle Assocation booth <http://www.sfeva.org/>.

      She will be selling and signing books Saturday,
      November 18 at a day-long workshop on electric
      vehicles being organized by San Francisco City College.

      On Sunday, November 26 she will speak about
      plug-in vehicles at the 2006 San Francisco Mensa
      Regional Gathering, where the book will be on sale.

      In Southern California, the book also will be
      sold at the world's largest (and free!)
      Alternative Car and Transportation Expo in Santa
      Monica, Saturday-Sunday December 9-10, 2006
      <http://www.altcarexpo.com>. Look for the author
      and her book at the Plug In America booth.

      You can help spread the word about plug-in
      hybrids by asking local organizations and
      bookstores to host a reading by the author,
      linking your website to
      <http://www.sherryboschert.com/>, or inviting
      reviewers to read Plug-in Hybrids: The Cars that
      Will Recharge America. To coordinate appearances,
      contact the author at info@....

      ABOUT THE BOOK AND THE AUTHOR:
      Here's the publisher's write-up at for Plug-in
      Hybrids: The Cars that Will Recharge America
      <http://www.newsociety.com/bookid/3934>:

      A politically polarized America is coming
      together over a new kind of car -- the plug-in
      hybrid that will save drivers money, reduce
      pollution, and increase U.S. security by reducing dependence on imported oil.

      Plug-in Hybrids points out that, whereas hydrogen
      fuel-cell cars won't be ready for decades, the
      technology for plug-in hybrids exists today.
      Unlike conventional hybrid cars which can't run
      without gasoline, plug-in hybrids use gasoline or
      cheaper, cleaner, domestic electricity - or both.
      Although not yet for sale, demand for plug-in
      hybrids is widespread, coming from characters
      across the political spectrum, such as:

      * Chelsea Sexton, the automotive insider: working
      for General Motors, Sexton fought attempts to
      destroy the all-electric EV1 car and describes
      how car companies are resisting plug-in hybrids
      -- and why they'll make them anyway.
      * Felix Kramer and the tech squad: Kramer started
      a non-profit organization using the Internet to
      tap into a small army of engineers who built the first plug-in Prius hybrids.
      * R. James Woolsey, former CIA director and
      national security hawk: seeing the end of oil
      supplies looming, Woolsey is demanding plug-in
      hybrids to wean us from petroleum.

      Cautioning that the oil and auto companies know
      how to undermine the success of plug-in car
      programs to protect their interests, the book
      gives readers tools to ensure that plug-in
      hybrids get to market -- and stay here.

      SHERRY BOSCHERT has been an award-winning medical
      news reporter in the San Francisco bureau of
      International Medical News Group, a division of
      Elsevier, since 1991. A committed
      environmentalist, the addition of solar panels to
      her roof led her to buy an electric car and to
      co-founding the San Francisco Electric Vehicle
      Association, of which she is President.

      ADVANCE PRAISE:
      "This is an important book. As a historian I was
      intrigued by the history; as a reader I was
      charmed by the writing; as a citizen I was
      outraged by the auto industry's duplicity. If you
      think your car should get a few more MPG (like 30
      more!), plug into Plug-in Hybrids. It will recharge your political batteries."
      - Martin J. Sherwin, Pulitzer Prize-winning
      co-author of American Prometheus: The Triumph and
      Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer, and professor of history at Tufts University.

      "Sherry Boschert does a great job of showing how
      shifting to hybrid plug-in cars can sharply
      reduce gasoline use, dependence on imported oil,
      and carbon emissions. If we simultaneously build
      thousands of wind farms across the country,
      feeding cheap electricity into the grid, we can
      then run our cars on wind energy ­ and at a
      gasoline equivalent price of less than $1 per
      gallon. What are we waiting for?"
      ­ Lester R. Brown, President, Earth Policy
      Institute, and author of Plan B 2.0: Rescuing a
      Planet Under Stress and a Civilization in Trouble.

      "An informative, provocative, engaging book about
      a vital topic, Plug-in Hybrids is an important book for the 21st century."
      - Ocean Robbins, founder and director, Youth for Environmental Sanity (YES).

      "Plug-in Hybrids: The Cars that Will Recharge
      America is a must-read. If you are concerned
      about the environment, national security, or high
      gas prices, there is a solution and it's
      contained in this book. But this isn't simply a
      book about cars, it's a book about our future.
      And our future started to look brighter with
      every page I turned. I was riveted."
      - Alexandra Paul, electric vehicle driver and actress.

      http://www.calcars.org/news-index.html