Key Board Member Proposes "Plug-In California Initiative"

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2006
      Last Thursday, after the three-day California Air Resources Board ZEV
      Technology hearings, at an ARB meeting, Board Member Ronald O.
      Loveridge called for a statewide PHEV initiative. We have been told
      his proposal was followed by positive statements about PHEVs from
      Members Barbara Riordan and Dorene D'Adamo (we don't have a
      transcript), and a comment by Board Chairman Sawyer, "It is clear
      from [yesterday's] ZEV Symposium that battery technology is advancing."

      The ARB has 11 members; Riverside Mayor Ronald O. Loveridge was
      appointed to the in 2004: his bio is at
      <http://www.arb.ca.gov/board/bio/loveridge.htm>. Following is the
      text of the proposal he announced at the "Public Hearing to Consider
      Technical Status and Proposed Revisions to Malfunction and Diagnostic
      System Requirements and Associated Enforcement Provisions for
      Passenger Cars, Light-Duty Trucks, and Medium-Duty Vehicles and
      Engines On-Board Diagnostic (OBD II) and Emission Warranty Regulation."

      "PLUG-IN CALIFORNIA" INITIATIVE

      Mayor Ronald Loveridge
      CARB Board Meeting, September 28, 2006

      Plug-in hybrid electric vehicles are an exciting emerging technology
      because they offer the potential for zero-emission miles, reduced
      greenhouse gas emissions, and improved energy diversity.

      There has been tremendous support for Plug-in hybrids recently:

      * Three major automakers (GM, Toyota, and DaimlerChrysler) are
      actively pursuing the commercialization of plug-in hybrid electric technology.
      * President Bush has directed specific activities to speed up plug-in
      hybrid research.
      * Austin Energy Plug-in Partners National Campaign is gaining more
      and more participants and national attention.
      * The State of New York has announced a $10 million program to
      convert all state vehicles to plug-ins; and
      * The South Coast AQMD has hosted two meetings, one on June 22 to
      educate our local governments and utilities, and the second on July
      12 to get expert technical input on the technical hurdles still before us.

      All of these activities have drawn considerable interest and media
      attention. It is clear that people want these vehicles. But to
      really drive this technology and the battery improvements that are
      required, we need a concerted effort rather than these small pockets
      of activity. And I suggest that this effort be at the state-level so
      we can put the weight of all the state agencies behind it.

      I would like to request that CARB staff work with the appropriate
      stakeholders, including the Governor's Office, state legislature,
      auto manufacturers, battery technology entities, state agencies such
      as the CPUC, CEC, and DGS [California Public Utilities Commission,
      California Energy Commission, Department of General Services],
      Plug-in Partners, the electric utilities, environmental groups, and
      the CAPCOA [California Air Pollution Control Officers Association]
      members to establish a "Plug-in California" Initiative that will do
      the following.

      1. Establish a state commitment to purchase plug-in hybrid electric
      vehicles when they are commercially available for all of the state
      agencies fleets.

      2. Establish reduced electric rates to charge these vehicles.

      3. Establish incentive mechanisms for the automobiles manufacturers
      by providing either additional ZEV credits or reduced greenhouse gas
      credits for the number of plug-in hybrids they produce.

      4. Provide consumer incentives to buydown the vehicle's initial
      higher cost as well as giving HOV lane access to high fuel economy
      and higher electric range plug-ins.

      5. Establish a favorable environment for plug-in hybrid associated
      businesses here in California; this should include battery technology
      companies as well as small volume vehicle manufacturers.

      6. Dedicate at lest $5 million of the $25 million CARB received
      through AB 1811 toward the Research, Development, and Demonstration
      of plug-in hybrids, and leverage these funds to the extent possible
      with the other activities being conducted by the U.S. Department of
      Energy, the automobile manufacturers, battery technology firms,
      Plug-in Partners, and the South Coast AQMD.

      http://www.calcars.org/news-index.html
      http://www.hybridcars.com/blogs/power
      http://www.bettah.org