NYS Offers $10M PHEV Conversion Contract

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17 10:33 PM
      Perhaps half of the email inquiries that we get boil down to a simple
      question:
      "How can I get a PHEV." We get other requests along the lines of
      "When can I convert my fleet of 10 or 100 vehicles."
      And since that time two years ago when Austin's City Council set
      aside $1 million in subsidies for the first available PHEVs, Plug-In
      Partners has accumulated many thousands of "soft" fleet orders. And
      Tesla Motors selling out its first 100 cars in only 3 weeks - at
      $100K each -- sends an important market signal too.

      Now New York State has upped the ante with a $10 million purse for
      after-market conversions, described below. And we hope the US
      Department of Energy will go even larger-scale at some point to get
      demonstration fleets on the nation's roads. This may all inspire an
      auto-maker to consider turning their hybrids into PHEVs or bringing a
      new PHEV to market. (We've all heard that things are in the works at
      auto-makers, but it's all still intentions or rumors.)

      The aftermarket conversion companies listed at
      http://www.calcars.org/howtoget.html are accumulating long lists of
      interested customers, but are still in the development/prototype
      stage. Motivated by the funding offered, we cold see more companies
      enter the arena!

      Announcement for: Program Opportunity Notice (PON) No. 1088

      "New York State Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) Technology Initiative"
      $10,000,000 Available Funding

      Multiple $100,000 Awards Anticipated for Stage 1 Projects with the
      Balance Available for Stage 2 Awards

      Proposal Due Date: September 18, 2006

      Program Summary: New York State Energy Research and Development
      Authority (NYSERDA) Program Opportunity Notice (PON) 1088 seeks
      proposals for the New York State Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle
      (PHEV) Technology Initiative, aimed at accelerating the adoption and
      use of plug-in hybrid electric passenger vehicles in the State. The
      program will provide funding for businesses to develop, test,
      demonstrate, and ultimately supply to selected NYS government fleets
      the hardware and services necessary to convert existing State-owned
      hybrid electric passenger cars and light trucks to plug-in hybrid operation.

      Proposals may be submitted by individual companies or teams.
      Proposals must include a description of two stages of a
      project. Stage 1 will encompass work to develop and deliver a
      "first-article" prototype for demonstration and test. Stage 2 will
      encompass the conversion of all or a segment of a selected NYS
      government fleet of existing hybrid electric vehicles.

      NYSERDA will evaluate projects in two steps. The first evaluation
      will select companies or teams for funding under Stage 1. Multiple
      awards are anticipated. This evaluation will be conducted upon
      receipt of the Stage 1 proposals. Stage 1 proposals are required to
      fully describe the proposed technologies, services, and steps
      required to provide and validate the performance of the first-article
      prototypes. Stage 1 proposals must also include a preliminary
      outline and discussion of the anticipated fleet conversion phase,
      including initial budgetary cost estimates, that will comprise Stage
      2. After successful proposers have been awarded the Stage 1 funding,
      and have qualified for Stage 2 participation through successful
      performance in Stage 1 they will be invited to submit a revised, full
      proposal for Stage 2 funding. Only proposers that have been awarded
      Stage 1 funding and are successful in meeting Stage 1 program
      objectives are eligible to compete for Stage 2 funding.

      It is anticipated that NYSERDA will fund up to $100,000 per Stage 1
      project. One or more awards are anticipated for Stage 2. For the
      Stage 1 project(s) selected for a Stage 2 award, NYSERDA funding per
      project will depend on the number of vehicles retrofit by the Stage 2
      Contractors, cost and performance per vehicle, availability of funds,
      and other program factors. Cost sharing, while not required, will be
      considered in the evaluation criteria. Proposer(s) must present an
      effective strategy to commercialize the technology and deploy the
      product in New York State.

      This announcement is not a solicitation for proposals. The full
      solicitation, including technical requirements, programmatic
      requirements, and instructions for preparing a proposal, can be
      obtained from the NYSERDA web site [49 pages at the bottom of]
      <www.nyserda.org/funding/funding.asp?i=2>.

      Technical questions may be directed to:
      Joe Wagner (518-862-1090, ext. 3228; jrw@...)
      Frank Ralbovsky (518-862-1090, ext. 3260; fsr@...)