We're having an amazing time in Washington, DC

    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2006
      -- thanks to our supporters and fans. Yesterday we met dozens of
      staff members of environmental groups. At a House Science Committee
      hearing on PHEVs that could never have happened a year ago, about 10
      Representatives engaged in a conversation mostly about the relative
      priority of assigning resources in proposed legislation to R&D and
      demonstration fleets. CalCars was welcomed and introduced at the
      start of the hearing and the audience was invited to go see our cars
      afterrwards; I got to stand up and announce that I'd brought my own
      infrastructure with me -- the 18-inch long "dongle" cable that
      connects from the car to the extension cord.

      Outside, we were mobbed by journalists and staff members. Three
      groups of Representatives gave short statements, answered press
      questions and packed into a PHEV for rides. About a dozen
      Representatives came out and a number of Senate staffers, and between
      the morning and afternoon, we talked to over a half-dozen Senators.
      Several members said they'd try to ask auto-makers about PHEVs tomorrow.

      More details, photos, etc. to follow, including reports on some of
      the unexpected technical and logistical challenges.

      http://www.calcars.org/news-index.html
      http://www.hybridcars.com/blogs/power
      http://www.bettah.org