Bush's Energy Initiative specifically includes plug-in hybrids

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2006
      The President's speech represents a major step
      forward, He specifically singled out not just
      hybrids but also electric vehicles, and not just
      ethanol but cellulosic ethanol. The accompanying
      description of the Advanced Enrgy Initiative.
      specifically points to plug-in hybrids. Both are
      earmarked for "further research" -- with longer
      goals for commercialization than we believe are necessary.

      All in all, this breakthrough shows that people
      at the top levels of government are hearing the
      urgent calls of so many organizations, coalitions
      and opinion-makers to chart a new direction in energy and transportation.

      FROM THE SPEECH:
      Keeping America competitive requires affordable
      energy. Here we have a serious problem: America
      is addicted to oil, which is often imported from unstable parts of the world.

      The best way to break this addiction is through
      technology. Since 2001, we have spent nearly $10
      billion to develop cleaner, cheaper, more
      reliable alternative energy sources -- and we are
      on the threshold of incredible advances. So
      tonight, I announce the Advanced Energy
      Initiative -- a 22 percent increase in
      clean-energy research at the Department of
      Energy, to push for breakthroughs in two vital
      areas. To change how we power our homes and
      offices, we will invest more in zero-emission
      coal-fired plants; revolutionary solar and wind
      technologies; and clean, safe nuclear energy.

      We must also change how we power our automobiles.
      We will increase our research in better batteries
      for hybrid and electric cars, and in
      pollution-free cars that run on hydrogen. We will
      also fund additional research in cutting-edge
      methods of producing ethanol, not just from corn
      but from wood chips, stalks, or switch grass. Our
      goal is to make this new kind of ethanol
      practical and competitive within six years.
      Breakthroughs on this and other new technologies
      will help us reach another great goal: to replace
      more than 75 percent of our oil imports from the
      Middle East by 2025. By applying the talent and
      technology of America, this country can
      dramatically improve our environment ... move
      beyond a petroleum-based economy ... and make our
      dependence on Middle Eastern oil a thing of the past.

      FROM THE DESCRIPTION:
      Developing More Efficient Vehicles. Current
      hybrids on the road run on a battery developed at
      the DOE. The President's plan would accelerate
      research in the next generation of battery
      technology for hybrid vehicles and "plug-in
      hybrids." Current hybrids can only use the
      gasoline engine to charge the on-board battery. A
      "plug-in" hybrid can run either on electricity or
      on gasoline and can be plugged into the wall at
      night to recharge its batteries. These vehicles
      will enable drivers to meet most of their urban
      commuting needs with virtually no gasoline use.
      Advanced battery technologies offer the potential
      to significantly reduce oil consumption in the
      near-term. The 2007 Budget includes $30 million –
      a $6.7 million increase over FY06 – to speed up
      the development of this battery technology and
      extend the range of these vehicles.

      http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/01/20060131-6.html

      For Immediate Release
      Office of the Press Secretary
      January 31, 2006

      State of the Union: The Advanced Energy Initiative

      In His State Of The Union Address, President Bush
      Outlined The Advanced Energy Initiative To Help
      Break America's Dependence On Foreign Sources Of
      Energy. The President has set a national goal of
      replacing more than 75% of our oil imports from
      the Middle East by 2025. With America on the
      verge of breakthroughs in advanced energy
      technologies, the best way to break the addiction
      to foreign oil is through new technology. Since
      2001, we have spent nearly $10 billion to develop
      cleaner, cheaper, and more reliable alternative
      energy sources. Tonight, the President announced
      the Advanced Energy Initiative, which provides
      for a 22% increase in clean-energy research at
      the Department of Energy (DOE). The Initiative
      will accelerate our breakthroughs in two vital
      areas; how we power our homes and businesses; and how we power our automobiles.

      Changing The Way We Power Our Homes And Businesses

      The Administration Will Work To Diversify Energy
      Sources For American Homes And Businesses.
      Accelerating research in clean coal technologies,
      clean and safe nuclear energy, and revolutionary
      solar and wind technologies will reduce overall
      demand for natural gas and lead to lower energy
      costs. The President's Advanced Energy Initiative
      proposes speeding up research in three promising areas:

      * The President's Coal Research Initiative.
      Coal provides more than half of the Nation's
      electricity supply, and America has enough coal
      to last more than 200 years. As part of the
      National Energy Policy, the President committed
      $2 billion over 10 years to speed up research in
      the use of clean coal technologies to generate
      electricity while meeting environmental
      regulations at low cost. To tap the potential of
      America's enormous coal reserves, the President's
      2007 Budget includes $281 million for development
      of clean coal technologies, nearly completing the
      President's commitment 4 years ahead of schedule.

      o The President's 2007 Budget Includes
      $54 Million For The FutureGen Initiative. The
      FutureGen initiative is a partnership between
      government and the private sector to develop
      innovative technologies for an emissions-free
      coal plant that captures the carbon dioxide it
      produces and stores it in deep geologic formations.

      * The President's Solar America Initiative.
      The 2007 Budget will propose a new $148 million
      Solar America Initiative – an increase of $65
      million over FY06 – to accelerate the development
      of semiconductor materials that convert sunlight
      directly to electricity. These solar photovoltaic
      "PV" cells can be used to deliver energy services
      to rural areas and can be incorporated directly
      into building materials, so that there can be
      future "zero energy" homes that produce more energy than they consume.

      * Expanding Clean Energy from Wind. The 2007
      Budget includes $44 million for wind energy
      research – a $5 million increase over FY06
      levels. This will help improve the efficiency and
      lower the costs of new wind technologies for use
      in low-speed wind environments. Combined with
      ongoing efforts to expand access to Federal lands
      for wind energy development, this new funding
      will help dramatically increase the use of wind energy in the United States.

      Changing The Way We Power Our Automobiles

      * We Are On The Verge Of Dramatic
      Improvements In How We Power Our Automobiles, And
      The President's Initiative Will Bring Those
      Improvements To The Forefront. The United States
      must move beyond a petroleum-based economy and
      develop new ways to power automobiles. The
      President wants to accelerate the development of
      domestic, renewable alternatives to gasoline and
      diesel fuels. The Administration will accelerate
      research in cutting-edge methods of producing
      "cellulosic ethanol" with the goal of making the
      use of such ethanol practical and competitive
      within 6 years. The Administration will also step
      up the Nation's research in better batteries for
      use in hybrid and electric cars and in
      pollution-free cars that run on hydrogen.

      * The Biorefinery Initiative. To achieve
      greater use of "homegrown" renewable fuels in the
      United States, advanced technologies need to be
      perfected to make fuel ethanol from cellulosic
      (plant fiber) biomass, which is now discarded as
      waste. The President's 2007 Budget will include
      $150 million – a $59 million increase over FY06 –
      to help develop bio-based transportation fuels
      from agricultural waste products, such as wood
      chips, stalks, or switch grass. Research
      scientists say that accelerating research into
      "cellulosic ethanol" can make it cost-competitive
      by 2012, offering the potential to displace up to
      30% of the Nation's current fuel use.

      * Developing More Efficient Vehicles.
      Current hybrids on the road run on a battery
      developed at the DOE. The President's plan would
      accelerate research in the next generation of
      battery technology for hybrid vehicles and
      "plug-in hybrids." Current hybrids can only use
      the gasoline engine to charge the on-board
      battery. A "plug-in" hybrid can run either on
      electricity or on gasoline and can be plugged
      into the wall at night to recharge its batteries.
      These vehicles will enable drivers to meet most
      of their urban commuting needs with virtually no
      gasoline use. Advanced battery technologies offer
      the potential to significantly reduce oil
      consumption in the near-term. The 2007 Budget
      includes $30 million – a $6.7 million increase
      over FY06 – to speed up the development of this
      battery technology and extend the range of these vehicles.

      * The Hydrogen Fuel Initiative. In his 2003
      State of the Union address, President Bush
      announced a $1.2 billion Hydrogen Fuel Initiative
      to develop technology for commercially viable
      hydrogen-powered fuel cells, which would power
      cars, trucks, homes, and businesses with no
      pollution or greenhouse gases. Through
      private-sector partnerships, the Initiative and
      related FreedomCAR programs will make it
      practical and cost-effective for Americans to use
      clean, hydrogen fuel cell vehicles by 2020. The
      President's 2007 Budget will provide $289 million
      – an increase of $53 million over FY06 – to
      accelerate the development of hydrogen fuel cells
      and affordable hydrogen-powered cars. Through the
      President's program, the cost of a hydrogen fuel
      cell has been cut by more than 50% in just four years.

      * America Must Act Now To Reduce Dependence
      On Foreign Sources Of Energy. There are an
      estimated 250 million vehicles on America's
      highways, and Americans will purchase more than
      17 million vehicles this year. It will take
      approximately 15 years to switch America's
      automobiles over to more fuel efficient
      technologies. The sooner breakthroughs are achieved, the better for America.

      The President's Advanced Energy Initiative Will
      Build On The Progress Made Since 2001

      Since 2001, The Administration Has Worked To
      Ensure Affordable, Reliable, Secure, And Clean
      Sources Of Energy. In 2001, the President put
      forward his National Energy Policy, which
      included over 100 recommendations to increase
      domestic energy supplies, encourage efficiency
      and conservation, invest in energy-related
      infrastructure, and develop alternative and
      renewable sources of energy. Over the past four
      years, the Administration has worked to implement
      these recommendations and improve the Nation's energy outlook.

      Last Summer, The President Signed The First
      Comprehensive Energy Legislation In Over A
      Decade. The Energy Policy Act of 2005 is
      strengthening America's electrical
      infrastructure, reducing the country's dependence
      on foreign sources of energy, increasing
      conservation, and expanding the use of clean renewable energy.

      # # #

      http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/EAA-PHEV