CNN-Dobbs today; Maryland Rep.; reminder Robert Kennedy; Green Car Journal

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2005
      4 unrelated items follow.
      If you respond to this or any other CalCars-News email, please change the
      subject line!
      See http://www.calcars.org/calcars-faq.html for a complete list of
      printable PDFs.

      1. CNN STORY: Today at 6PM Eastern/3PM Pacific, we hope to see CNN's
      delayed-broadcast Lou Dobbs news segment on energy independence, including
      interviews with former CIA Director James Woolsey and CalCars founder Felix
      Kramer.

      2. REMINDER: short interview with Robert F. Kennedy Jr airs this Sat and Sun.
      Ring of Fire <http://www.ringoffireradio.com> is hosted by Kennedy and Mike
      Papantonio. Hear it Saturday, Oct. 8 from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. EST and at the
      same time on Sunday Oct. 9 in most markets. You can find a listing of
      local Air America Radio affiliates at http://www.airamericaradio.com> --
      and listen to the show online at that site.

      3. ANOTHER MEMBER OF CONGRESS ENDORSES PHEVS
      <http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/10/52005h.asp>
      Agape Press - Tupelo, Mississippi
      "Reliable News from a Christian Source"
      Commentary & News Briefs
      October 5, 2005 Compiled by Jody Brown
      ...Even before President Bush called on Americans to cut down on their
      energy use, a Maryland congressman had taken an important step to save
      gasoline -- and he recommends others do the same thing. Republican Roscoe
      Bartlett has one of the shortest commutes on Capitol Hill: from his home
      district in Maryland to the nation's capital. The member of the House
      Science Committee says he has saved gas by purchasing a hybrid vehicle. The
      lawmaker claims to have purchased the first Toyota Prius in his state as
      well as in Congress. "We have 95,000 miles on it now, and we have been very
      satisfied with it," Bartlett shares. "It gets an honest 45 miles per
      gallon. The new one does even better than that." According to Bartlett, the
      new plug-in hybrid is expected to allow people to drive 40 miles on battery
      -- real handy for a 20-mile commute to work. "You can make electricity with
      things like coal [and nuclear energy] that you can't put in your car," he
      says, "so there are lots of advantages to going to hybrids, and even more
      advantages of going to the plug-in hybrid." Bartlett has been a strong
      proponent for conversion to renewable sources of energy. [Chad Groening]

      4 GREEN CAR JOURNAL FALL 2005 ISSUE:
      * We previously posted the text of our "Voices" column, "Adding an Electric
      Fuel Tank to a Hybrid"
      https://www.greencar.com/index.cfm?content=voices13
      http://www.calcars.org/green-car-jrnl-kramer-voices.pdf is the PDF version.

      Now you can read/download the other 2 pieces from the issue:
      * A Future of E-Hybrids, Not Fuel Cells, "Voices" by Joseph Romm
      http://www.calcars.org/green-car-jrnl-romm-voices.pdf
      * The Hybrid Connection, comprehensive 4-page article
      http://www.calcars.org/green-car-jrnl-schefter-phev.pdf

      * Or pick up all 3 Green Car Journal articles in one 7-page PDF
      http://www.calcars.org/green-car-jrnl-phevs6pages.pdf

      Finally, the GCJ includes a letter, "PLUGGED INTO HYBRIDS":
      Last spring, I learned about a non-profit organization called CalCars
      (www.calcars.orgf) that is modifying a Toyota Prius with additional
      batteries. This would allow it to run up to 40 miles on batteries before
      they need a recharge, either from the engine or by plugging into an AC
      source. Since a majority of trips are less than 40 miles, this could
      greatly decrease the demand for petroleum, freeing it for trucks, aircraft
      and other uses in an era of rapidly increasing world demand and peaking oil
      supplies. I suggest you check this out and publish an article about it in
      Green Car Journal....
      -- William J. Toensing, Nevada City, CA
      -- Editor replied: You'll note our article on plug-in hybrids in this
      issue, a reflection of the growing interest in these highly-efficient
      vehicles.