Tracking Car-Makers Comments on PHEVs

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3 2:05 PM
      This message, coming to CalCars News Subscribers by email, is also archived at:

      Have an opinion? You can voice it at my blog, Power, Plugs and People,
      where I've posted excerpts of this document:

      * Nick Cappa, manager of advanced technology communications: "It's just an
      idea program," (AUTOMOTIVE NEWS)
      * "a great opportunity to develop the vehicles we foresee in the future."
      * "This is part of a small program investigating these technologies." (NYTIMES
      * "In the end it should be viable and economic for our customers." Rolf
      Bartke, head of the Mercedes-Benz van division (TIME)

      * Gerhard Schmidt, VP of Research and Advanced Engineering: "We are looking
      at a range of potential alternative fuel solutions to address the issues
      around eliminating our dependence on fossil fuels and global warming - and
      it may include a plug-in hybrid. (CORRESPONDENCE TO AN INDIVIDUAL)
      * According to Nick Twork, powertrain and technology spokesperson: "Ford is
      studying plug-ins for the future solution, but currently there are
      technical problems." (carlist.com)

      Honda and Ford did not return calls for comment (TORONTO STAR)

      * Cindy Knight, Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A: "We're exploring every avenue"
      for reducing reliance on petroleum, she says. (AUTOMOTIVE NEWS)
      * David Hermance, Toyota's executive engineer for environmental
      engineering: "We keep looking at the concept, and at some point it might be
      feasible, but it isn't there yet," (BUSINESS WEEK)
      * "They say this is the next great thing, but it just isn't" ..."The
      electric utilities really want to sell electricity and they want to sell it
      to the transportation sector because that expands their market. They have
      an agenda." ...And Mr. Hermance of Toyota said that batteries today were
      not durable enough to handle the wide range of charging up and charging
      down that a plug-in hybrid would need, calling that the most damaging thing
      you can do to a battery .... Mr. Hermance said the feature [EV Button] was
      disabled in Priuses sold in the United States because of complications it
      would have created in emissions-testing rules. (NY TIMES)
      ------- MORE RECENTLY (as PHEVs, PRIUS+ and EDRIVE have gotten considerable
      * Ed LaRoque, National Manager for Advanced Technology Vehicles with Toyota
      Motor Sales, asked at sessions of the Clean Cities Conference (May 2005),
      "Will your hybrids be able to plug in to recharge for local
      travel?,"replied, "We're listening."
      * "Customers," says Ed LaRocque, "are not telling us plug-in hybrids are
      something they'd like to see at no cost, let alone what we estimate would
      be an additional $15,000." (TIME MAGAZINE)
      * ``The situation is evolving,'' said Cindy Knight, a Toyota spokeswoman in
      Southern California. ``We're studying the matter, and keeping a careful eye
      on the projects happening around California.''(SJ MERCURY NEWS)
      * Toyota spokeswoman Cindy Knight warned that EDrive's modifications will
      void the Prius' power train warranty, and said the company is "dubious"
      about a pluggable Prius. "Right now we don't see this as commercially
      viable," she said. "We think there need to be breakthroughs in battery
      technology to make it commercially viable." (WIRED)
      * Toyota spokeswoman Cindy Knight said, "We are watching [plug-in designs]
      with interest. It is probably within the range of solutions we would
      consider" eventually as an alternative power plant design. (LA TIMES)
      * Toyota spokeswoman Cindy Knight warned that EDrive's modifications will
      void the Prius' power train warranty, and said the company is "dubious"
      about a pluggable Prius. "Right now, we don't see this as commercially
      viable," she said. "We think there need to be breaktrhoughs in battery
      technology to make it commercially viable." (WIRED.COM)
      * "So you have a higher up-front cost, a heavier vehicle that gets less
      fuel economy with less performance, and the prospect of replacing the
      battery during [the car's] life," he says....Toyota's Hermance
      insists that, barring a spectacular breakthrough in battery
      chemistry, the cost of nickel-metal hydride batteries will remain around
      $1100/kWh for the foreseeable future. He concedes that the Prius's
      nickel-metal hydride battery packs have become significantly cheaper since
      Toyota began producing the car for the Japanese market in late
      1997--power densities have gone up, allowing the car to get the
      same acceleration with a smaller battery pack. But energy density hasn't
      really improved, so energy storage remains as expensive as ever. (IEEE
      * Hermance says that while the PHEV concept has merit, it won't work with
      the current generation of lithium-ion batteries, which, while powerful, are
      both too expensive and temperamental for use in mass-production cars.
      Depending on their chemistry, lithium-ion batteries tend to get really hot
      -- thermal runaway, it's called—and, as the military well knows, to ignite.
      "The betting line of developers is that a lithium-ion battery of sufficient
      cost, durability and safety is three to five years away."...The guerrilla
      interest in PHEVs puts Toyota in an unfamiliar posture: on the defensive.
      "We're getting a lot of pressure from the public," says Cindy Knight, a
      company spokesperson. "We've shown that we have the energy chops to do it,
      so people say, 'Why don't we do it?'" (LA TIMES)
      * "Almost 60 per cent of U.S. electricity is generated by burning coal — so
      (we're) not sure plugging in cars in the end offers very much environmental
      benefit," the company says, adding that it may be "trading one form of
      emissions for another." (TORONTO STAR)
      * But Toyota Motor Corp. officials who initially frowned on people altering
      their cars now say they may be able to learn from them. "They're like the
      hot rodders of yesterday who did everything to soup up their cars. It was
      all about horsepower and bling-bling, lots of chrome and accessories," said
      Cindy Knight, a Toyota spokeswoman. "Maybe the hot rodders of tomorrow are
      the people who want to get in there and see what they can do about
      increasing fuel economy." (ASSOCIATED PRESS)
      * Toyota, known as the pioneer hybrid car company, could look at replacing
      their Nickel Metal Hydride battery with a Lithium-Ion battery, according to
      Dave Hermance, Chief Engineer for Environmental Issues for Toyota. Hermance
      speculates that "At the battery conference held in June in Hawaii it was
      said that Lithium Ion is about 3-5 years away for hybrids and another 5-8
      years away to get to a rational price point." Laughing, Hermance adds, "of
      course, that’s not to say that we wouldn’t start at an irrational price
      point" Hermance also points out that the cost of Nickel has increased
      three-fold in the last five years, making the NiMH battery less attractive.

      * Like you, we at Toyota are very interested in this technology. It is
      something we are studying for the future as one avenue to adding diversity
      to the transportation energy mix. Plug-in hybrids can further reduce
      petroleum consumption, improve fuel economy, possibly ease our dependence
      on foreign oil and potentially lower greenhouse gas emissions.
      That said, we also recognize that there are limitations to plug-in hybrids.
      As you well know, the true environmental impact of a plug-in depends on the
      source of the electrical charge. Coal-burning power plants do not lessen
      the greenhouse gas production and criteria pollutants increase. Secondly,
      to create a vehicle that meets consumers' needs, a breakthrough in battery
      technology in regard to capacity, durability and cost, is necessary.
      Outside experts predict this isn't likely to happen this decade.... (IRV
      COMMUNICATION -- full text at

      * "I think at some point you'll even have a button you can pick, mileage
      versus performance, because you're managing the system" said Jim Press,
      president and COO of Toyota Motor Sales USA, to a conference of auto
      executives (while announcing the he expected a quarter of US auto sales to
      be hybrids within 10 years): (NY TIMES)
      * "We have a vision of the driver being able to hook up their laptop to a
      port to alter that profile and get the driving characteristics that they
      want," said Cindy Knight, spokesperson for Toyota in Torrance, California.
      "That's an idea for the future. Right now it takes a horde of technicians
      to do that." (NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC)
      * While hot rodders used to soup up their engines and pour on the chrome,
      they're now tinkering with computers to maximize their fuel mileage. It's
      a whole new passion for auto enthusiasts. We share that spirit of making
      the most cost-effective and most environmentally responsible vehicles
      possible. (IRV MILLER, ID ABOVE)

      (For CalCars' news on the state of readiness of batteries for PHEVs, see
      Tech Lead Ron Gremban's July 21 posting at the PRIUS+ Conversion Discussion

      And see HybridCars.com publisher Brad Berman's roundup of general hybrid
      industry trends in the HybridCars Newsletter #19,