National Plug In Day This Weekend + Update on DrivingElectric.org

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2013
      With the plug-in hybrid increasingly successful as a vehicle type, we
      have refocused our attention to ensuring the broad success of plug-in
      cars. Here's some info about National Plug In Day, plus an update
      about DrtivingElectric -- to summarize, it's on hold. We will soon
      send around some news about what CalCars people are doing about
      larger issues: the transition to renewable energy and responding to
      climate change.

      Here's what we posted at DrivingElectric
      http://drivingelectric.org/blogs/felixkramer/drivingelectric-adoption-or-sponsorship

      DrivingElectric Up for Adoption or Sponsorship
      What's happened since we launched a year ago

      It's a year since we launched DrivingElectric.org. Now it's time for
      another National Plug In Day. Please join in! This time it's
      stretched over two days, September 28-29, in over 95 locations in the
      U.S. and abroad. It's co-sponsored by Plug In America, the Electric
      Auto Association, and the Sierra Club.

      To catch up on what happened with DrivingElectric in the first six
      months after last year's National Plug In Day, see "The Future of
      DrivingElectric"
      http://drivingelectric.org/blogs/felixkramer/future-drivingelectricorg
      from last March, with a June update in the comments below that posting.

      Getting "butts in seats" remains widely recognized as one of the best
      strategies to build awareness and demand for EVs. There's no
      substitute for the actual experience of driving a plug-in car. And
      many people have praised DrivingElectric as a great way to connect
      people curious about plug-ins with those who drive them daily and
      wear the EV grin.

      In 2012, we received our original funding mainly from The
      Electrification Coalition, the Electric Auto Association, and
      CalCars, and then got a second infusion from EC. Regrettably, we
      haven't gained the continuing financial support we need to operate
      and expand DrivingElectric -- and thereby demonstrate conclusively
      that plug-in drivers are helping to sell many cars.

      We are exploring whether an existing institution or service can
      "adopt" or sponsor DrivingElectric. Then we hope to reach a point
      where automakers and industry suppliers will recognize
      DrivingElectric as a vital supplement to their marketing efforts. At
      that point, we hope they can support the service with annual contributions.

      Meanwhile, we have closed off new signups because we don't have a
      staff to manage registrations and prevent spam. Our 800+ existing
      drivers remain available to answer questions and give test drives in
      many locations.

      Thank you for supporting the concept and spreading the word! Please
      keep telling people about plug-in cars and support our partners and
      sponsors, especially, Plug In America, the Electric Auto Association,
      and the Electrification Coalition!