Plug-In Prius Debuts; ALTe Funded for Truck Conversions; Where Are 4WD EVs?

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2011
      Though we're no longer trying togive you all the PHEV news, but we
      have lots to report you may not hear elsewhere: a few notes on
      Toyota's fnally-unveiled Plug-in Prius. Will ALTe be the first big
      gas-guzzler conversion company? The first plug-in four-wheel drive
      cars appear. Get ready for October 14, "National Plug-In Day." News
      stories on CalCars and a new presentation.

      TOYOTA PLUG-IN PRIUS ON VIEW: Toyota showed the production version of
      its Plug-in Prius at the Green Drive Expo in Richmond. It has a
      15-mile EV range (up to 62MPH), recharges in 180 minutes at 120 volts
      and 90 at 240. It's priced at $32-$39.5K, minus a $2,500 federal tax
      credit (less than the $7,500 maximum because it has a smaller
      battery). See Wikipedia and Plug In America for info on other
      credits, HOV access, etc. See
      http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota+introduces+2012+prius+plug-in+hybrid.htm
      and the FAQ at http://www.toyota.com/prius-plug-in/ . If you're not
      already registered, you can sign up next month to get on the list in
      the initial 14 states. (They also offer buyers a lowest-yet deal for
      Level 2 charging: $995 includes an evaluation visit, a Leviton
      EVSE, and installation.)

      Soon we'll see how well the Plug-in Prius will compete against the
      more expensive Volt, which has a 35-40-mile all-speed EV range, but
      lower MPG when it's driving like a non-pluggable hybrid. Many of the
      million-plus happy Prius owners will consider switching. And with
      Toyota's blessing the idea of spending extra to be able to plug in,
      some may explore aftermarket companies to retrofit their old Priuses,
      especially if they can gain government certifications and get their
      prices down. http://www.calcars.org/howtoget.html .

      A SWEET MOMENT FOR CALCARS! Many have noted that March 2012 will be
      7.5 years since we converted the first Prius. If we hadn't done so,
      and helped inspire and organize a broad campaign, would we be seeing
      Toyota and GM PHEVs even now? Two iconic images: the sixth photo at
      "Scenic Photos of Plug-In Hybrids"
      http://www.calcars.org/photos-scenic.html , shows a late-version
      test-fleet PHEV Prius in 2010, driving right by Felix Kramer's
      converted 2004 Prius. And at the fifth photo at "New Plug-Ins
      Arrive" http://www.calcars.org/photos-plugins-arrive.html , Felix
      stands in front of the real PHEV Prius holding a new "J-plug" along
      with the old-style "dongle" plug for conversions that has symbolized
      the opportunity and benefits of plugging in.

      ALTe FINALLY OUT OF STARTING GATE: The Michigan gas-guzzler
      conversion company we've long been touting now gets a chance to
      demonstrate a technical sollution and a business case for gas-guzzler
      conversions. The long-hoped-for news: after waiting since 2009 for a
      federal loan guarantee, it's privately raised $100M so it can get
      started. Its advisory board has giant fleet owners that could become
      customers, including Cox Communications, DIRECTV, FritoLay, Service
      Master and Waste Management. (NOTE: Felix Kramer is a board member.)
      Its first partner for a retrofit trial next spring is Pacific Gas &
      Electric, and it's signed agreements with A123 Systems for batteries
      and Remy for motors. More about the renamed ALTe Powertrain
      Technologies at its new URL: http://altept.com .

      WANTED: WINTER-WEATHER PHEV: In addition to the MPG results we
      reported on recently for Felix, Ron, and Andy Frank at
      http://www.calcars.org/calcars-news/1142.html , Felix has documented
      the performance of his Volt as the first plug-in car that could drive
      without refueling from the San Francisco Bay Area to Lake Tahoe. With
      a full battery starting on each 225-mile leg, including 8,000 feet of
      elevation: 35.8 MPG up, 50.8 MPG down -- plus all-electric drives in
      the Sierras. What's missing? No four-wheel or all-wheel drive, so
      it's either avoid snowy/icy roads or put up with the inconvenience of
      chains (actually low-profile cables). Felix and millions of others
      are an unrecognized new market for any plug-in hybrid sedan/SUV with
      4WD/AWD. For more, see
      http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/09/22/325476/how-the-snow-sports-community-is-pushing-the-limits-of-filmmaking-and-climate-education/
      (including Felix's comment #4).

      TWO UNAVAILBLE 4WD/AWD PHEVs: Though models are on the horizon, they
      could be years away. Two are closest: The Mitsubishhi Outlander Sport
      SUV is variously reported as being available in late 2012-early 2013.
      http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/reviews/hybrid-electric/2012-mitsubishi-i-test-drive
      . We think Mitsubishi will miss a giant opportunity if it follows its
      announced plans to bring this car first to Japan, rather than to
      those in the U.S. eager for such a car. And at the Frankfort Auto
      Show, Peugeot unveiled its 508RXH, a diesel PHEV crossover/station
      wagon. (Also exciting to biodiesel advocates.) It's slated for sale
      in Europe in spring 2012. Unfortunately, Peugeot doesn't sell cars in
      the U.S.
      http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/15/peugeot-508-rxh-hybrid-crossover-sips-down-diesel-gets-56-mpg/
      (click to see press release). We can also hope (and let them know) we
      want them from Subaru and Ford.

      HELP EXPAND NATIONAL PLUG IN DAY: Organized by Plug In America, the
      Sierra Club, and the Electric Auto Association, over 10 cities are
      already planning events. See http://www.pluginamerica.org/pluginday for more.

      CHEVY VOLT'S TAG LINES: We and others have never cared for "more car
      than electric." GM has picked up another message from its pool of
      marketing copy, which we think is closer to a succinct and positive
      benefits statement: "Electric when you want it. Gas when you need
      it." You'll find it in magazines and as part of two amusing 30-second
      ads airing on popular mainstream TV shows.
      http://www.chevroletvoltage.com/index.php/volt-blog/18-volt/2498-sneak-peek-new-chevrolet-volt-commercials.html
      -- and see thoughtful comments afterwards.

      CALCARS IN THE MEDIA: When Felix had a catch-up lunch with Bill
      Moore, editor of EVWorld, at a quirky and entertaining Silicon Valley
      landmark, he didn't expect it would turn into the entertaining and
      complimentary tale, "Lunch at Buck's." Weaving together the histories
      of CalCars and Tesla, it's a bit of a big fish story, resembling the
      20-foot sculpture in the hangout's parking lot.
      http://evworld.com/currents.cfm?jid=209 . And conversions of internal
      combustion vehicles, with a link to Felix and CalCars, shows upin the
      New York Times DotEarth blog by Andy Revkin, thanks to journalist and
      author Jim Motavalli.
      http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/16/electric-cars-the-do-it-yourself-way/

      GREEN DRIVE EXPO: Following in the footsteps of Ron Gremban, who
      spoke last year, Felix was set to talk on "U.S. Plug-in Car Movement:
      Where Do We Go from Here?"
      http://greendriveexpo.com/speakers-bay-area A large potential crowd
      of people was talking to vendors, looking at dealer Volts and Leafs,
      the Toyota lineup of Priuses and the electric RAV4, and the Owners'
      Showcase of 1990s and converted EVs plus nearly-new Leafs and Volts.
      Unfortnately at noon, the seats were almost empty. Felix had no
      alternative but to inspire the crowd, reminding them how different
      things are now that we have production plug-ins -- how far we've come
      and how much we have to clap and cheer about. The noise brought in
      the crowd! And the cheerleading revved Felix up enough to give what
      those who've heard him called his most energetic talk. See Sebastian
      Blanco's report at
      http://green.autoblog.com/2011/09/19/green-drive-expo-calcars-felix-kramer-ready-to-go-beyond-cars/,
      listen to the audio at
      http://www.calcars.org/calcars-greendriveexpo-felix-20110917.mp3 (33
      minutes + 12 minutes questions), and see our completely revamped
      slideshow at http://www.calcars.org/downloads.html .

      Felix was followed by the compelling Lisa Margonelli, author of "Oil
      on the Brain," talking on "Can Your Car Change the World?" One
      provocative point: how fiercely the public believes gasoline's
      "right" price is $2/gallon -- and is certain that sooner or later it
      will always return there. Flind Blanco's report and an audio link at
      http://green.autoblog.com/2011/09/19/green-drive-expo-lisa-margonelli-plug-in-car/