Three More Chevy Volts On The Road & Other Gifts

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2010
      Ron and I both are feeling this amazing moment -- and comparing
      notes, we agree it feels unreal that we are actually driving real
      production plug-in vehicles. Ron feels it's the most advanced vehicle
      he's ever seen. Even without signs on the cars, people notice them
      and are giving us thumbs up on the highways (as happened when there
      were only a handful of hybrids on the road) Our son was trailed by a
      highway patrolman who wanted to talk about the car. Andy Frank says
      it's "exactly as I had anticipated it would operate. It's like
      driving my dream." See below for links to media and photos of our
      celebration; amazing uptake on our Victory essay, and some new good
      news from GM. Enjoy your holidays!

      A local report about our fun
      event http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_16923309 (with such short
      notice, we didn't get any national media), but ace cinematographer
      Chris Baldwin will be putting together some video).

      A few photos including one with Dave Barthmuss of GM
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/56727147@N00/sets/72157625656383506

      Felix's long piece about it putting plug-in cars in the context of
      the large challenges we face. It ran at GM-Volt.com
      http://gm-volt.com/2010/12/22/calcars-plug-in-campaign-victory-after-8-years
      and garnered thousands of page views and over 140 comments in a day, including:

      57. jpk Says Dec 22nd, 2010 (11:44 am) : I first learned about PHEV's
      from CalCars.org, and I've been working on getting my hands on one
      ever since. It's amazing to think that my family is just weeks away
      from the delivery of our Volt. Thank you, thank you, thank you to
      Felix Kramer and everyone at CalCars.org for your tireless work in
      advocating PHEV's all these years. We'll be leaving behind a better
      world for our kids thanks to all that you've done! jpk(Quote) (Reply)

      The piece was picked up at Climate Progress
      http://climateprogress.org/2010/12/22/calcars-plug-in-hybrid-electric-car-phev/
      . At that page, Bill McKibben, author of numerous influential books
      on the environment and climate, from "The ENd of Nature" to Hope,
      Human and Wild," and most recently, "Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough
      New Planet," and founder of 350.org, said, "If there was a Nobel
      Prize for Persistence (and there probably should be), it would go to Felix!"

      The piece is currently on the home page of 350.org, the organization
      McKibben co-founded, and will soon be at
      http://www.350.org/en/about/blogs/after-years-persistent-activism-electric-victory
      . "After years of persistent activism, an electric victory" begins:

      One of the very first allies we made when we began this work was
      Felix Kramer, in the American state of California. He was pressing
      for what once seemed like a science-fiction daydream: that we'd have
      plug-in hybrid vehicles. He started converting cars in a garage, got
      together a bunch of like-minded auto buffs for parades and
      demonstrations--and in the end he won. GM, America's biggest car
      company, is now producing plug-in hybrids for sale; here's Felix's
      account of the day he took his home from the dealer!

      At Plug In America's blog, Sherry Boschert, author of "Plug-In
      Hybrids: the Cars That Will Recharge
      America,"
      http://www.pluginamerica.org/drivers-seat/historic-calcars-prof-frank-get-plug-hybrid-chevy-volt,
      ended a posting,

      The point is that Prof. Frank, Kramer, and Gremban helped propel a
      huge change in the auto industry that will benefit our national
      security, the environment, and consumer pocketbooks. Our work isn't
      finished -- Plug In America and CalCars and our other allies have got
      a lot of educating of the public left to do, and working for plug-in
      friendly policies, and more. But as these three pioneers take the
      keys to their new Volts, it's a moment to celebrate.

      Finally, great news from GM's CEO Dan Akerson: GM Planning to Triple
      or Quadruple Electric Car Volumes by 2015, LG Chem Says Batteries Not
      a Constraint"
      http://gm-volt.com/2010/12/23/gm-planning-to-triple-or-quadruple-electric-car-volumes-by-2015-lg-chem-says-batteries-not-a-constraint/