A Party for Plug In America, and How We're Winning with Great Cars

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2010
      This Saturday is Plug In America's Fifth Anniversary Party in Los
      Angeles. CalCars.org' Founder Felix Kramer, Technology Lead Ron
      Gremban, and Webmaster Michael Bender can't be there for personal
      reasons, but we urge anyone who can to attend. It's the last shindig
      for advocates before many thousands of Americans will be plugging in.
      So show up to THANK the dedicated volunteers, to SUPPORT the
      organization and to find out how to JOIN in working on the
      all-important next steps. In his blog invitation, Paul Scott, PIA
      co-founder, has given us an entertaining look at PIA's history
      http://evsandenergy.blogspot.com/2010/10/from-protest-to-plug-ins-plug-in.html
      . That inspired us to chime in below with a congratulatory message to
      the event plus some thoughts about how we reached this moment -- and
      what it means for PIA, CalCars, and all of our readers.

      FIRST, THE SATURDAY EVENT: The fundraiser is at the beautiful
      eco-home http://www.marrakeshhouse.com in Culver City of Chris Paine,
      maker of "Who Killed the Electric Car?" and its Spring 2011
      successor, "Revenge of the Electric Car." Of course you'll see (and
      get shuttle rides in) plug-in cars, and you'll also be the first to
      see PIA's new "gas vs. electric" PSAs, inspired by the "I'm a Mac/I'm
      a PC" ads -- which we hear will take the online world by storm! At
      the signup page http://www.pluginamerica.org/2010 you'll see why the
      event is called " "From Protests to Plug-Ins" -- it includes carmakers' logos!

      OUR MESSAGE TO THE EVENT:
      "CalCars.org joins Plug In America in celebrating all the people and
      the creative strategies that have brought us to this moment. It's
      been a long road -- and for many of us, it's what we're most proud of
      having done in our lives. PIA has been about the end of business as
      usual -- focusing on solutions critical for our security, economy,
      environment, and quality of life. PIA has refused to take no for an
      answer, has never pulled its punches, and has responded to every
      slow-down warning by stepping harder on the accelerator."

      "Last October, CalCars declared victory when we were finally certain
      mass-produced plug-in hybrids were in sight. Some saw that as
      premature -- but we thought it was important to celebrate. And now we
      join with those at the party, saluting all those who joined together
      to spark the transformation of a giant global industry."

      "Next week PIA, CalCars, and the broad coalition around us will
      return to ensuring that THIS commercialization is successful. Now we
      get to replace theoretical pitches about benefits with the reality of
      mass-produced cars. We get to help customers figure out what models
      will work for them, and what to expect at showrooms. We get to
      encourage plug-in buyers to become evangelists. And we get to both
      applaud and criticize version 1.0 products so automakers can improve
      and refine them. It's going to be a great ride!"

      WHO'S BEEN WHO IN THE PLUG-IN CAMPAIGN? Paul Scott's posting
      describes how PIA emerged from the Don't Crush campaigns to save
      driveable EVs. We're often asked how the different organizations fit
      in and work together. We thought we'd take this opportunity to
      explain that and its implications for the future.

      The original advocacy organization promoting all types of plug-in
      vehicles (EVs, parallel PHEVs , series PHEVs/EREVs, with any number
      of wheels) is the Electric Auto Association
      http://www.electricauto.org, founded in 1967. PIA
      http://www.pluginamerica.org , founded in 2005, is an affiliated
      organization of the EAA. Both are growing membership organizations:
      EAA has members in dozens of chapters in the US and internationally;
      PIA has thousands of contributors and tens of thousands of subscribers.

      In the past five years, many others jumped into what former CIA
      Director Jim Woolsey with a straight face called a "coalition of tree
      huggers, do-gooders, sodbusters, cheap hawks, and evangelicals -- and
      Willie Nelson." From the national organizations listed at
      http://www.calcars.org/partners.html , we salute those that allocated
      significant staff resources and focused most on the opportunity,
      including, alphabetically, Friends of the Earth, Google.org, Natural
      Resources Defense Council, Plug-In Partners, Rainforest Alliance,
      Rocky Mountain Institute, Saving America's Future Energy, and Set America Free.

      CALCARS.ORG, founded in 2002, is unlike these groups. We're an
      informal network of entrepreneurs, engineers, environmentalists, and
      consumers. Though not a membership organization, we've asked
      supporters to sponsor our organization with donations. (ADVT: Still
      needed -- at http://www.calcars.org/sponsor.html .) We've ranged from
      2-5 full-timers, most of the time unpaid, supplemented by dozens of
      advisers and over 7,000 subscribers. You can see our early history
      and ambitions in our report for 2005-07
      http://www.calcars.org/2007.html , in 1,121 postings at our News
      Archive http:/www.calcars.org/news-archive.html , and in PIA
      co-founder Sherry Boschert's book, "Plug-In Hybrids: The Cars that
      will Recharge America" http://www.calcars.org/books.html .

      Most importantly, though also affiliated with EAA, we've always
      focused mainly on plug-in hybrids. We're proud of our catalytic role
      in putting PHEVs on the map, helping to move them from Andy Frank's
      UC Davis Hybrid Center, first to the open source PRIUS+ conversions
      of 2004-05 with attention-getting 100+MPG signs, and then helping
      aftermarket companies provide the emerging coalition with real PHEVs
      to prove their feasibility and benefits. Our informal virtual
      structure has allowed us to move very quickly. On the downside, we
      regret we couldn't build or spark a more formal organization to
      promote PHEVs globally, clarify misconceptions and misinformation,
      and ensure that government regulations and programs helped PHEVs develop.

      IS THERE A COMPETITION BETWEEN EVS AND PHEVS? We've often been asked,
      "Will EVs or PHEVs win?" Until recently, our answer has been: EITHER
      sets us on a new path to displace fossil fuel with cleaner, cheaper,
      domestic energy from electricity. We think for multiple reasons we'll
      see many PHEVs in the mix. But if we're wrong, since EVs use no
      petroleum, we'll win even more!

      Last year, CalCars added a second response with our "Big Fix"
      Campaign to convert existing gas-guzzlers to run partly or entirely
      on electricity. Nnow, CalCars equally promotes both EV and PHEV
      retrofits -- the choice depends on technical, drive cycle and
      business criteria.

      Our early hybrid conversions were strategic and largely symbolic,
      intended mainly to build awareness and support. Six years later, we
      propose validated, safe retrofits joining new plug-in cars in high
      volumes, to accelerate transportation electrification, expand supply
      chains and reduce component costs, and create green local jobs.

      Unlike last time, the Big Fix will take off, not mainly through
      efforts by advocates, but as emerging companies launch a giant new
      industry. We invite PIA (signers of the endorsement form at the top
      of http://www.calcars.org/ice-conversions.html ), and other
      organizations, to join us as cheerleaders. They can help analyze and
      quantify the opportunities, support government loans to companies and
      incentives to buyers, and ultimately enlist automakers as partners,
      so their products can be upgraded and warrantied.

      SO WHAT KIND OF PLUG-INS WIN MATTERS LESS THAN HOW MANY: Some
      industry analysts and insiders project that the demand for plug-in
      cars won't extend beyond early adopters and those attracted by
      incentives. We join with PIA and others to prove them wrong. Our
      challenge is to wake people up to the true meaning of conservatism:
      to value what we are now destroying. A practical and realistic
      analysis concludes we can no longer afford internal combustion
      vehicles: we can't keep paying and bleeding for oil, we can't drill
      in ever-more risky areas, and humans and our atmosphere can't
      tolerate the emissions. If the naysayers are right and plug-ins
      remain a niche market, they will have only a symbolic impact on our
      addiction to fossil fuels. What matters most is that we:

      * Do everything we can to help plug-in vehicles succeed in the
      marketplace, trumpeting their benefits and necessity.
      * Move ASAP to a low-carbon grid where batteries in parked cars help
      intermittent renewable energy sources become reliable 24/7.
      * Recruit those who are excited about the new cars to support fixing
      as many as possible of our legacy vehicles.

      Thank you all for everything you've done to bring us to this day!