Roundup: More Automakers on PHEV Bandwagon, Events, etc.

    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2010
      Over 20 more carmakers are falling into line with plans for PHEVs --
      and those that aren't are doing EVs. Below our list, you'll also find
      info on this weekend's Maker Faire, two big plug-in conferences,
      PHEVs in airplanes, Joe Romm's new book, and other media items,
      including our updated home page.

      We'll soon update our list at our Automakers Page
      http://www.calcars.org/carmakers.html . See also information roundups
      at http://www.greencarcongress.com/plugins/ and
      http://www.pluginamerica.org/vehicles/ . Some of these are showcased
      in a slide show at The New York Times website
      complete with links to additional information on the vehicles. Here
      are our updates, alphabetically:

      * AUDI: A1 Sportback or e-tron concept vehicles may be introduced
      first in Europe.
      * BMW: Vision PHEV concept of 2009 now headed for production in 2013.
      * BYD: F3DM may be introduced in US in 2011.
      * CHRYSLER: Following its integration with Fiat, proceeding with its
      Department of Energy-sponsored demonstration project with 140 Ram
      pickup truck PHEVs.
      * CITROEN: Revolte (concept).
      * DAIMLER: Mercedes Benz Blue Zero and S500 (concepts).
      * FISKER: Karma now scheduled for 2011.
      * FORD: Escape SUV now set for 2012; C-MAX compact multi-activity
      vehicle in Europe by 2013.
      * GM: Chevy Volt MPV5 (crossover concept).
      * HYUNDAI: Blue Will concept car aimed at 2012.
      * JAGUAR LAND ROVER: Range_e four-wheel drive diesel in 2013-2015 and
      a possible XJ PHEV (Tata owns JLR).
      * KIA: The Ray concept is part of its EcoDynamics project.
      * MITSUBISHI: The PX-MiEV aims for production in 2013,
      electrically-driven rear wheels giving four-wheel drive capability.
      * PEUGEOT: plug-in diesel hybrid in 2012.
      * PORSCHE: The 918Spyder (concept) adds a 16-mile all-electric range
      to a powerful sports car.
      * PROTON: Malaysian manufacturer shows multiple series PHEV concepts,
      with its subsidiary, Lotus.
      * SUZUKI: Swift concept now going to Japanese dealers for testing in fall 2010.
      * TOYOTA: Prius Plug-in around 2012.
      * VOLKSWAGEN: The Golf Blue-E-Motion moved from concept to a 2013
      date for sale in the U.S; TwinDrive (concept).
      * VOLVO: plans diesel series PHEVs in 2012.

      Heaven for do-it-yourselfers, benign hackers, and open-source
      acolytes, May 22-23 in San Mateo, CA http://www.makerfaire.com/ . The
      entire Maker Faire event is unique, indescribable and inspiring. You
      and your family will have no trouble spending a few hours or a whole
      day or two! For the fifth time, CalCars presents live hybrid
      conversions (since 2006 in California, plus 2007 in Houston). This
      year, Berkeley's 3ProngPower.com again runs the show: see
      http://makerfaire.com/pub/e/3457 . If you're a plug-in advocate, you
      can help educate the interested throngs, and see other plug-in
      projects at the Faire.

      PLUG-IN CONFERENCES: Sign up to exhibit at or attend the main North
      American events on plug-in vehicles:

      * PLUG IN 2010 July 26-29 in San Jose, CA, the third annual industry
      conference and expo, organized by The Electric Power Research
      Institute and Silicon Valley Leadership Group: See the preliminary
      agenda and register at http://www.plugin2010.com

      * EV 2010 VE September 13-16 in Vancouver, British Columbia,
      organized by Electric Mobility Canada/Mobilite electrique Canada. See
      the preliminary agenda and register at
      http://www.emc-mec.ca/ev2010ve/en/program.html .

      Up: America's Fiercest Climate Blogger Takes on the Status Quo Media,
      Politicians, and Clean Energy Solutions" is by Joseph Romm, physicist
      and former US Department of Energy official. His <Climate Progress
      www.climateprogress.org> is often described as the most influential
      blog on climate change policy. There he frequently cites
      transportation electrification, and this book includes almost 20
      pages on what he calls a "core solution." Order it via
      http://www.calcars.org/books.html .

      PHEVS IN AIRPLANES? YES! Most people assume it's impractical with
      today's technology. It turns out, as was the case with cars a few
      years ago, "today's technologies are good enough to get started."
      Some far-sighted people are getting ready to design prototypes.
      CalCars' Ron Gremban is adding his engineering/flying/battery
      experience. (By the way, if you're going to the Advanced Automotive
      Battery Conference Orlando, Florida, May 17-21, you can find him
      there via the CalCars contacts page). A column by aviation
      entrepreneur George Bye calls on the Federal Aviation Agency and
      others to start getting ready now for the next evolution of planes.
      That's at Beyond The Edge
      . This new organization also features CalCars' perspective on ICE
      conversions: http://www.beyondtheedge.org/automotive/the-4-cent-mile/.

      2003-2009. He wrote "Running on Empty," a cover magazine story about
      our Prius conversions in 2005
      http://www.calcars.org/calcars-news/85.html and
      http://www.calcars.org/runningonempty-latimes.pdf , spoke about
      plug-in cars at several events, famously called on GM management to
      resign, and won a Pulitzer Prize. He recently moved his Rumble Seat
      column to the weekend edition of the Wall Street Journal, where his
      first reviews, ranging from a high-end Rolls Royce, to a small Ford,
      with stops at Jaguar and Porsche, are lively masterpieces of
      entertaining journalism, chock-full of funnys, gonzo-style, and
      serious insights. Later this year, we think he'll have a blast when
      he gets behind the new plug-ins! Find his columns at
      http://online.wsj.com/public/page/news-autos-automotive.html .

      CALCARS HOME PAGE UPDATE: We've modified the three paragraphs on our
      opening page to reflect our new focus on "The Big Fix" (while we
      continue to work on ensuring successful PHEV commercialization).
      These eight sentences are our "elevator pitch." Please forward it to
      anyone who wants to know about PHEVs and why they should spread the
      word or donate to CalCars at http://www.calcars.org/sponsor.html :
      "Plug-In Hybrids Use Cleaner, Cheaper, Domestic Energy: CalCars is a
      non-profit startup of entrepreneurs, engineers, environmentalists and
      consumers. Since 2002, we've promoted plug-in hybrids (PHEVs) with
      large batteries. Local miles are powered partly or fully by
      electricity from standard plugs, and liquid fuel provides infinite
      range. PHEVs tackle energy security, jobs and global warming -- all
      at once. We built the world's first plug-in Prius using today's
      technologies and infrastructure. We helped spark a successful
      campaign to bring PHEVs to market and gain incentives. In 2009, we
      declared victory as mass production of PHEVs starts with the Chevy
      Volt. Now we promote safe, affordable, warrantied conversions of
      large gas-guzzlers to PHEVs and EVs. A new global industry can
      convert millions of vehicles long before we see large numbers of new plug-ins."