Roundup/update: what the auto industry says about plug-in hybrids

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2005
      This message, coming to CalCars News Subscribers by email, is also archived at:

      We update this compendium periodically, as industry representatives are
      quoted in news stories, etc. The comments for each OEM (Original Equipment
      Manufacturer) are sequential: earliest first. So far, of course, it's still
      mostly Toyota, but that will change....

      2. RECENT MEDIA COMMENTS BY OEMS ON PHEVS HAVE BEEN CONTRADICTORY, AND
      THEY'VE MODIFIED THEIR COMMENTS AS OUR EFFORTS EXPAND AND AS THEY GET MORE
      POINTED QUESTIONS

      DAIMLERCHRYSLER:
      * Nick Cappa, manager of advanced technology communications: "It's just an
      idea program," (AUTOMOTIVE NEWS-
      * "a great opportunity to develop the vehicles we foresee in the future."
      (BUSINESS WEEK)
      * "This is part of a small program investigating these technologies." (NYTIMES
      * "In the end it should be viable and economic for our customers." Rolf
      Bartke, head of the Mercedes-Benz van division (TIME)

      FORD:
      * Gerhard Schmidt, VP of Research and Advanced Engineering: "We are looking
      at a range of potential alternative fuel solutions to address the issues
      around eliminating our dependence on fossil fuels and global warming - and
      it may include a plug-in hybrid. (CORRESPONDENCE TO AN INDIVIDUAL)

      HONDA
      Honda and Ford did not return calls for comment (TORONTO STAR)

      TOYOTA
      * Cindy Knight, Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A: "We're exploring every avenue"
      for reducing reliance on petroleum, she says. (AUTOMOTIVE NEWS)
      * David Hermance, Toyota's executive engineer for environmental
      engineering: "We keep looking at the concept, and at some point it might be
      feasible, but it isn't there yet," (BUSINESS WEEK)
      * "They say this is the next great thing, but it just isn't" ..."The
      electric utilities really want to sell electricity and they want to sell it
      to the transportation sector because that expands their market. They have
      an agenda." ...And Mr. Hermance of Toyota said that batteries today were
      not durable enough to handle the wide range of charging up and charging
      down that a plug-in hybrid would need, calling that the most damaging thing
      you can do to a battery .... Mr. Hermance said the feature [EV Button] was
      disabled in Priuses sold in the United States because of complications it
      would have created in emissions-testing rules. (NY TIMES)
      ------- MORE RECENTLY (as PHEVs and PRIUS+ have gotten considerable attention):
      * Ed LaRoque, National Manager for Advanced Technology Vehicles with Toyota
      Motor Sales, asked at sessions of the Clean Cities Conference (May 2005),
      "Will your hybrids be able to plug in to recharge for local
      travel?,"replied, "We're listening."
      * "Customers," says Ed LaRocque, "are not telling us plug-in hybrids are
      something they'd like to see at no cost, let alone what we estimate would
      be an additional $15,000." (TIME MAGAZINE)
      * ``The situation is evolving,'' said Cindy Knight, a Toyota spokeswoman in
      Southern California. ``We're studying the matter, and keeping a careful eye
      on the projects happening around California.''(SJ MERCURY NEWS)
      * Toyota spokeswoman Cindy Knight said, "We are watching [plug-in designs]
      with interest. It is probably within the range of solutions we would
      consider" eventually as an alternative power plant design. (LA TIMES)
      * Toyota spokeswoman Cindy Knight warned that EDrive's modifications will
      void the Prius' power train warranty, and said the company is "dubious"
      about a pluggable Prius. "Right now, we don't see this as commercially
      viable," she said. "We think there need to be breaktrhoughs in battery
      technology to make it commercially viable." (WIRED.COM)
      * "So you have a higher up-front cost, a heavier vehicle that gets less
      fuel economy with less performance, and the prospect of replacing the
      battery during [the car's] life," he says....Toyota's Hermance
      insists that, barring a spectacular breakthrough in battery
      chemistry, the cost of nickel-metal hydride batteries will remain around
      $1100/kWh for the foreseeable future. He concedes that the Prius's
      nickel-metal hydride battery packs have become significantly cheaper since
      Toyota began producing the car for the Japanese market in late
      1997--power densities have gone up, allowing the car to get the
      same acceleration with a smaller battery pack. But energy density hasn't
      really improved, so energy storage remains as expensive as ever. (IEEE
      SPECTRUM)
      * Hermance says that while the PHEV concept has merit, it won't work with
      the current generation of lithium-ion batteries, which, while powerful, are
      both too expensive and temperamental for use in mass-production cars.
      Depending on their chemistry, lithium-ion batteries tend to get really hot
      -- thermal runaway, it's called—and, as the military well knows, to ignite.
      "The betting line of developers is that a lithium-ion battery of sufficient
      cost, durability and safety is three to five years away."...The guerrilla
      interest in PHEVs puts Toyota in an unfamiliar posture: on the defensive.
      "We're getting a lot of pressure from the public," says Cindy Knight, a
      company spokesperson. "We've shown that we have the energy chops to do it,
      so people say, 'Why don't we do it?'" (LA TIMES)
      * "Almost 60 per cent of U.S. electricity is generated by burning coal — so
      (we're) not sure plugging in cars in the end offers very much environmental
      benefit," the company says, adding that it may be "trading one form of
      emissions for another." (TORONTO STAR)
      * But Toyota Motor Corp. officials who initially frowned on people altering
      their cars now say they may be able to learn from them. "They're like the
      hot rodders of yesterday who did everything to soup up their cars. It was
      all about horsepower and bling-bling, lots of chrome and accessories," said
      Cindy Knight, a Toyota spokeswoman. "Maybe the hot rodders of tomorrow are
      the people who want to get in there and see what they can do about
      increasing fuel economy." (ASSOCIATED PRESS)
      ------- OFFICIAL STATEMENT
      * Like you, we at Toyota are very interested in this technology. It is
      something we are studying for the future as one avenue to adding diversity
      to the transportation energy mix. Plug-in hybrids can further reduce
      petroleum consumption, improve fuel economy, possibly ease our dependence
      on foreign oil and potentially lower greenhouse gas emissions.
      That said, we also recognize that there are limitations to plug-in hybrids.
      As you well know, the true environmental impact of a plug-in depends on the
      source of the electrical charge. Coal-burning power plants do not lessen
      the greenhouse gas production and criteria pollutants increase. Secondly,
      to create a vehicle that meets consumers' needs, a breakthrough in battery
      technology in regard to capacity, durability and cost, is necessary.
      Outside experts predict this isn't likely to happen this decade.... (IRV
      MILLER, GROUP VP, CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS, TOYOTA MOTOR SALES, INDIVIDUAL
      COMMUNICATION -- full text at
      http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/calcars-news/message/106)
      ------- ON THE DEFENSIVE RE LOW-MPG HYBRID SUVs:
      * "I think at some point you'll even have a button you can pick, mileage
      versus performance, because you're managing the system" said Jim Press,
      president and COO of Toyota Motor Sales USA, to a conference of auto
      executives (while announcing the he expected a quarter of US auto sales to
      be hybrids within 10 years): (NY TIMES)
      * "We have a vision of the driver being able to hook up their laptop to a
      port to alter that profile and get the driving characteristics that they
      want," said Cindy Knight, spokesperson for Toyota in Torrance, California.
      "That's an idea for the future. Right now it takes a horde of technicians
      to do that." (NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC)
      * While hot rodders used to soup up their engines and pour on the chrome,
      they're now tinkering with computers to maximize their fuel mileage. It's
      a whole new passion for auto enthusiasts. We share that spirit of making
      the most cost-effective and most environmentally responsible vehicles
      possible. (IRV MILLER, ID ABOVE)