CalCars '08 Successes Can Bring Cars in '09

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2008
      Dear Friends, Fans, and Colleagues

      As we enter into the holiday season, I am
      grateful for all that the support of community
      members like you has made possible. Your efforts
      in spreading the word, and the cooperation of
      many partners, have given uncounted numbers of
      citizens hope that an energetic, creative,
      grassroots campaign can succeed and make a difference.

      Thanks to your support, we've had a lot to be
      grateful for over the past seven years. I would
      especially like to thank you for the
      accomplishments you've helped us to achieve in 2008:

      * Your commitment helped CalCars address the
      challenges of climate change and energy security
      by FINALLY CONVINCING KEY DECISIONMAKERS to
      support using 100+MPG PHEVs to replace gasoline
      with cleaner, cheaper, domestic electricity.
      * You helped us DEMONSTRATE WORKABLE SOLUTIONS to
      encourage public policies and consumer demand
      that have led to automaker announcements they'll put plug-ins on the road.
      * Your generosity enabled us to BROADLY SPREAD
      NEW CONCEPTS such as using vehicle batteries to
      open up new ways to store renewable energy and
      help us attain low-carbon electricity.
      * Finally, you've helped us broadcast the message
      that plug-in vehicles can SAVE THE DOMESTIC AUTO
      INDUSTRY AND RETAIN AND CREATE MANY GREEN JOBS in
      auto manufacturing facilities and other places
      within the transportation sector.

      I see the coming year as one of enormous
      opportunity. Your continued support will have an
      even more significant impact on the economy and our environment.

      I understand these are lean and uncertain times.
      Great challenges lie ahead. Yet we cannot delay
      actions on important issues. We can seize the
      wealth of opportunities that exist, and leverage
      the transition in Washington along with new ways
      of thinking about the future of the auto industry.

      For CalCars, this is an exceptionally exciting
      time. As you know, the entire U.S. auto industry
      is at a critical crossroads. This moment rivals
      other turning points: the replacement of electric
      vehicles with gasoline cars in the 1900s, Ford's
      introduction of mass production, the
      lightning-fast switch from manufacturing cars and
      trucks to planes and tanks after the attack on
      Pearl Harbor, and, in recent decades, the decline
      of Detroit as it lost half of its market to imports.

      In the coming months, Detroit has the chance to
      end "business as usual" by working together with
      the U.S. government and with strong voices like
      CalCars to chart a new green path.

      Persisting since 2001, CalCars is uniquely
      positioned for what we do best: demonstrate
      workable technology and business solutions to
      rally grassroots, industry, and government
      support. Effective policy solutions and actions
      can preserve and create new jobs, offer a clear
      path for automakers, and make our world cleaner,
      safer and economically stronger.

      I urge you to please send a special year-end gift
      of $60, $100 or more to help CalCars seize these
      historic opportunities in the year ahead.

      I'd like to take this opportunity to share with
      you the innovative and potentially
      transformational messages and campaigns we'll focus on this next year:

      * Work strategically to encourage the NEW OBAMA
      TEAM TO POSITION PLUG-INS CENTRALLY in its Clean
      Energy and Economic Turnaround programs.
      * Establish PHEVs and EVs as the MOST AVAILABLE,
      PRACTICAL AND BENEFICIAL SOLUTION for transportation.
      * Motivate the auto industry to START TO BUILD
      MILLIONS OF PHEVs in a few years -- not the few
      thousands they're currently planning to deliver within five years.
      * EXPAND FEDERAL COMMITMENTS to fleet orders, to
      extend current $7,500 tax credits for 250,000
      vehicles to cover millions more, and to make
      safe, affordable retrofits eligible for credits.
      * Work at STATE AND LOCAL LEVELS AND WITH
      CORPORATIONS to create incentives and other
      programs to accelerate the arrival of plug-in cars.
      * Prove the viability of retrofits to PARTIALLY
      ELECTRIFY MILLIONS OF LARGE INTERNAL COMBUSTION
      VEHICLES that will otherwise guzzle gas for
      decades, educate about the advantage of
      converting not crushing, and HELP ESTABLISH LOCAL
      BUSINESSES across the U.S. to install them.
      * Work with advocacy organizations to promote a
      grassroots strategy, "Prepay For Plug-Ins to Save
      & Transform the Auto Industry," to GIVE VOICE TO
      MILLIONS OF AMERICANS WHO WANT THEIR NEXT CAR TO
      PLUG IN. We will use CalCars' proposal as the
      starting point: a customer who commits $1,000 now
      would get a 10X match from the federal government
      to ensure that carmakers build these cars.

      We need your help to make move these programs
      forward. That's why I'm writing to you this
      December with this important request.

      As President-Elect Obama has said, "Change
      doesn't come FROM Washington, it comes TO
      Washington." Please help us to realize the great promise of the 2008 election.

      You may appreciate these additional three quotes,
      among many others in recent months that have lauded our efforts as worthwhile:

      * "I personally believe that the U.S. auto fleet
      should make a transition as quickly as possible
      toward plug-in hybrid electric vehicles." Al Gore, Newsweek, December 5, 2008
      * "Chevy Volt's value is as dawn of era¬Ö the
      first step toward a new kind of car for
      everyone." Mark Phelan, Detroit Free Press columnist, Sept. 28. 2008.
      * "Felix Kramer has made plug-in electric cars
      not only his passion but an imminent American
      reality." NYTimes columnist Thomas Friedman, in
      #1 bestseller "Hot, Flat & Crowded, published Sept 2008.

      To help CalCars continue to lead this campaign,
      please play an active role by spreading the word
      and supporting our organization with whatever you
      can afford. Please take a moment to visit
      http://www.calcars.org/sponsor.html to make a
      credit card or PayPal donation today, or simply
      mail a check payable to IHC/CalCars to:
      International Humanities Center, 860 Via de la
      Pas, Suite B-1, Pacific Palisades CA 90272.

      We remain grateful for your continued belief in
      our vision. Warmest wishes for the holidays.

      Felix Kramer, Ron Gremban, Carol DiBenedetto and the CalCars Team

      P.S. We will keep you informed about our exciting
      plans for 2009, and all the ways that you can
      become involved in the New Year! Your dedication
      is a key to our success, and I hope I can count
      on your continued commitment in 2009. Please help
      CalCars seize the historic opportunities ahead by
      sending your most generous possible year-end gift
      today at http://www.calcars.org/sponsor.html . Thank you!