Re: New Here, Songs Request

  • Gary C. Huggins
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10, 2001
      --- In cajunzydecodance@y..., "DAVID REEVES" <bubba808@w...> wrote:

      > I am the new guy here, and I am wondering if anyone can supply me
      with either the French or English (both is fine, too :) to the
      following songs.
      > La Valse Des Chere Bebes
      > La Valse Du Malchanceaux
      > J'ai Passe Devant Ta Porte
      > Valse Criminelle
      > Valse De Kaplan
      > La Valse A Deux Temps

      I recommend three excellent resources for Cajun music and lyrics. You
      will find all of these songs using these sources. Two are books and
      one is a website. The advantage of the two books is that they provide
      the lyrics in Cajun-French along with the English translation. The
      website provides lyrics in Cajun-French but does not give the English
      translation. The two books are:

      1. Yé Yaille Chère-Traditional Cajun Dance Music
      by Raymond E. Francois.

      This book is one of the most comprehensive collections of authentic
      Cajun sheet music and lyrics from southwest Louisiana. Sheet music
      also contains turns, chord changes as well as cross-references to
      other songs, and reminiscences by Cajun musicians with extensive
      notes. Truly the "Encyclopedia of Cajun Music". A unique treasury of
      words and sheet music to 247 traditional and original Cajun songs.

      Available online at Floyd's Record Shop:

      http://www.floydsrecordshop.com/osb2/itemdetails.cfm?ID=398

      2. Cajun Music: A Reflection of A People. Volume 1. By Ann Allen
      Savoy.

      Includes: 106 Cajun and Zydeco songs in Cajun and Creole French,
      accompanied with simple phonetics for English speakers, and English
      translations.

      Cajun instrument instructions, How to Play Cajun
      Fiddle, Accordion, Guitar, Guitar chords, etc. And
      much more - interviews in French to demonstrate the Cajun language,
      discographies, lists of how and where to find Cajun records.

      Available online from Savoy Music Center (locate and click on
      the "Cajun Books" link at the bottom of the homepage:

      http://www.savoymusiccenter.com

      A third recomendation is a website titled, "QUELQUES CHANSONS CAJUNS"
      (Lyrics are in Cajun French; no English translation.)

      http://membres.tripod.fr/breric/cajun.htm

      Hope this helps,

      =====
      "Si on s'aide un à l'autre, on va tous aller plus loin."
      If we help one another, we will all go further
      Richard LeBoeuf, "La chemise bleue"

      Gary C. Huggins
    • dsousa@esri.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 11, 2001

        > A third recomendation is a website titled, "QUELQUES CHANSONS
        CAJUNS"
        > (Lyrics are in Cajun French; no English translation.)
        >
        > http://membres.tripod.fr/breric/cajun.htm

        I heartily agree with Gary's reccomendations.

        I would like to add a small note on the "QUELQUES CHANSONS CAJUNS"
        website. I found the site a while back and noticed that some of the
        songs have been "translated" from Cajun dialect to Standard French.
        There are small, but important differences - things that Cajuns would
        be unlikely to say. One example is the use of the standard French
        construct "etre en train de ..." where Cajun would use "etre apres
        de ...".

        I would take the website as a starting point, but listen to
        recordings to get the "real" lyrics.

        The site does have a disclaimer that mentions this fact. It says
        something along the lines of "I excuse myself by advance near the
        purists, they are francized sometimes a little." (WARNING: this is a
        computer generated translation. The original French is "Je m'excuse
        par avance auprès des puristes, elles sont quelquefois un peu
        francisées.").

        -David
      • John Rice
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 19, 2001
          Here are a couple of items. Please don't crush me
          with political stuff - I'm just passing this on and
          asking one question.

          1) Someone asked sent me this question-

          In the Cajun village at the party in the above film, can you tell me
          what the song was called, who was the band that played and sang it. I
          refer to the main song that was being danced to.

          Anyone have any ideas? Please don't tell what a bad movie it
          is - I know.

          2) I was sent this a while back. I'm passing it on
          to those who might be interested:

          From: "Jamie Manders & James Riopelle" <jamie_manders@...> | Block Address | Add to

          The Humane Societies of Louisiana are pleased to announce the internet release of our classic
          Cajun-American song about a boy and his pet rooster--Chante Pas, Petit Rouge!

          The song, its words (in Cajun French and English), and a poem written to accompany the song can be
          downloaded free from our website:

          www.LouisianaAgainstCockfighting.org

          While there, please consider obtaining contact information for your US Representative and Senators
          and asking for their support for 2 anti-cruelty bills currently before the U.S. Congress.

          James Riopelle, MD
          Coalition Co-Chair
          la_vs_cf@...