Re: loose pegs

  • zydeholic
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2002
      I've heard you've not supposed to do this, but it might help in this
      case. When you wind the string onto the peg, make sure the string
      winds in the direction from the peghole to the peghead. This will
      have a tendency to push the peg in tighter.

      Or, get some peg dope, put a tiny amount on the peg where it seats
      into the fiddle neck, and see if that helps.

      I just had to do something fairly different for my niece in
      Mississippi. She bought an inexpensive fiddle, but it was set up
      really crappily. One of the pegs had the string hole too far over
      towards the small end, so that when pushed in, the string itself was
      in the hole in the fiddle head, which mean there was little or no
      wood to wood grip, and the E string would not stay tuned.

      This was in Northeast Mississippi, and I could find no decent fiddle
      supplies at any music shop, so I had to go to the hardware store and
      get a set of micro-drill bits and drill her a new string hole in the
      peg, closer to the head. Works fine now.

      This fiddle was really screwed up. The tailpiece was so thick that
      the fine tuners could not be mounted in correctly, so all the strings
      were strung through the tailpiece, wire to wood, even the E string.
      Luckily they had a wood working shop at their house, and I was able
      to use their chainsaw sharpening blade to grind the tailpiece down so
      I could mount all the tuners.

      Her bow was crap too. I think it was synthetic. I couldn't even get
      it to tighten until I disassemblied it and put a little nut on the
      screw threads as a spacer. It was so scratchy though, it was
      useless. I did find a shop who had some fiddle supplies, so I got
      her a $35 fiberglass bow (which was MUCH better than the one she had,
      but was also about the best this one shop had), rosin, tuner,
      shoulder rest, and some peg dope.

      I was sort of satisfied that I could do those repairs with the
      limited resources I had at my disposal. Now if I'd just get off my
      butt and start playing again. I moved to a new house so I could play
      without bothering anyone, but I've been so busy moving and dealing
      with a longer commute, that I haven't been playing.

    • fiddlersonthegreen <fiddlersonthegreen@y
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 23, 2003
        RE: I've heard you've not supposed to do this

        Why not? WOrks better with the string right up against the inside of
        the pegbox, where possible. Also, too MUCH peg dope makes these
        problems worse. In some cases, you can get the inside of the peg
        hole refinished. In worst case scenarios, a bushing can be inserted.

        --- In cajun-fiddlers@yahoogroups.com, "zydeholic" <tshack@s...>

      • John Reid
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 23, 2003
          Try putting pencil lead in the hole and on the pegs.
          That helps.
          Does your internet provider pay you money?
          http://www.ispvip.biz/senior1
          Check it out.

          --- "fiddlersonthegreen
          <fiddlersonthegreen@...>"

          =====
          Does your internet provider pay you money? http://www.ispvip.biz/senior1 Check it out.

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • tshack
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 23, 2003
            The reason I heard that you're not supposed to do it is that it can crack
            the pegbox over time by the prying force exerted between the string and the
            pegbox wall.