Ivan "Doc" Harrison

  • Bob Gardner
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 22, 2009
      Ivan "Doc" Harrison passed away on February 9, 2009.

      There will be a celebration of his life at the Coronado Playhouse at
      noon on Saturday April 18th.

      "Doc" and his beautiful, super friendly wife Ro, were two of the
      mainstays at Cajon Speedway during that last two decades of Cajon
      Speedway. They got introduced to auto racing by George Behlman during
      the mid 1980's. Doc's first race was a factory stock enduro. Doc then
      joined the bomber stock division and went on to become the track
      champion in that class in 1996. He then moved up to the street stocks
      where he competed until the track closed following the 2004 season.

      Doc and Ro fielded a car every night their division competed for the
      last 18 years that Cajon operated. That matched the feat turned by
      Mark Norris during the super stock years.

      In a way it was appropriate that Cajon closed following the 2004
      season. That way both Mark and Doc remained unmatched in this amazing
      string of not missing a race.

      Two of my personal memories about Doc stand out from all the rest
      from this wonderful guy. He was the only man at Cajon Speedway who
      ever kissed me. And the second was his and Ro's story about the day
      Ro came home from work and found Doc tearing down a wall in his house
      so he had a shop to work on his car inside his house!!!!

      Doc was a native of England. He and Ro became United States citizens
      in a ceremony many years ago at the starting line at Cajon Speedway.

      Doc, we will miss you. Ro, we will always love you.
    • rlbaker2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 22, 2009
        Bob, thanks for the email. I had heard that Doc passed earlier in the week.
        What a shame. Another great racer and person added to the track in the
        sky. If you have an address for the location that would be great. Take care
        and stay strong, hope all is well for you.

        Thanks,

        Robert Baker
        steps!
        %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)

      • Bob Gardner
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22, 2009
          The Playhouse is located at the north end of the City of Coronado
          Community Center, 1835 Strand Way, Coronado.

          This just one block south of the Hotel del Coronado.

          From San Diego, take the Coronado Bay Bridge.
          Turn left on Orange Ave.
          Follow Orange Ave through Coronado and go 1 block past the Hotel del
          Coronado.
          Orange Ave becomes Strand Blvd.
          Watch for the Coronado Recreation Center on your left.
          Turn left at the traffic light on Strand Way which parallels Strand
          Blvd.

          Robert - tis a shame that about the only time we Cajonians communicate
          is when we lose someone or when we run into someone at Irwindale, OSS,
          or Vegas. I know many people moved up the hill to Barona. But I'm
          having too much fun playing golf and doing the occasional "Near Live"
          for Racing West. Hope to see you at some track soon.
        • matthew
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
            hi my name is matt gantz my dad is kevin gantz bomber 594 i first met doc when i was a little kid my fondes memory or doc was a wreck he and my dad got in when my dad first started racing he was the vilian to me. i then later on was able to join bob wickeys crew and my dad built a new car wich he ran when the track closed over the years i became really good friends with ro and doc they will forever be in my hearts i love them both they are part of my racing family so god bless and god speed to ro and ivan doc harrison--- In cajonspeedwaytoo@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Gardner" <rgardne1@...> wrote:

            > Ivan "Doc" Harrison passed away on February 9, 2009.
            >
            > There will be a celebration of his life at the Coronado Playhouse at
            > noon on Saturday April 18th.
            >
            > "Doc" and his beautiful, super friendly wife Ro, were two of the
            > mainstays at Cajon Speedway during that last two decades of Cajon
            > Speedway. They got introduced to auto racing by George Behlman during
            > the mid 1980's. Doc's first race was a factory stock enduro. Doc then
            > joined the bomber stock division and went on to become the track
            > champion in that class in 1996. He then moved up to the street stocks
            > where he competed until the track closed following the 2004 season.
            >
            > Doc and Ro fielded a car every night their division competed for the
            > last 18 years that Cajon operated. That matched the feat turned by
            > Mark Norris during the super stock years.
            >
            > In a way it was appropriate that Cajon closed following the 2004
            > season. That way both Mark and Doc remained unmatched in this amazing
            > string of not missing a race.
            >
            > Two of my personal memories about Doc stand out from all the rest
            > from this wonderful guy. He was the only man at Cajon Speedway who
            > ever kissed me. And the second was his and Ro's story about the day
            > Ro came home from work and found Doc tearing down a wall in his house
            > so he had a shop to work on his car inside his house!!!!
            >
            > Doc was a native of England. He and Ro became United States citizens
            > in a ceremony many years ago at the starting line at Cajon Speedway.
            >
            > Doc, we will miss you. Ro, we will always love you.

          • lisa biller
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
              Hi Mathew, im sorry to hear about Doc......i must be getting these emails
              due to a search i did a couple years ago, i was desperatley trying to find
              an old friend his name is Tim Beeney jr. if you happen to know him please
              pass my info on.

              thank you so much

              Lisa Biller ? Rex's mom faerifli@...