Cajon Speedway Site

  • jfike63506
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 19, 2008
      I was curious if the Cajon Speedway site has been developed yet? Last
      time I saw it, it was a big field.

      Have to wonder how much business some of the fast food places lost
      since the speedway closed. We used to see lot of Subway bags in the
      stands and pits, so I suspect there must have been some business
      losses since the track closed.
    • Phillip Dodge
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 19, 2008
        The last time I went by, which was last week, it was still a big pile of weeds. Nothing at all has been done to it as the Airport has run out of funds to do anything at all with it. And several of the businesses have moved or closed. In and Out will allows be there and Subway is still in it's spot. Grandstand Pizza I think moved. BUt they now have a Starbucks over there and a Weinerstizal... It sucks they took away our only asphalt racetrack for some weeds.

        Big Phil Dodge
        Lakeside, CA 92040
        email bigphild@...
        ExDriver, Forever Fan
        Earnhardt Rules
        I'm a REBEL forever and forever

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 19, 2008
          Hard to understand why they made such an effort to tear everything
          down when it appears there was no concrete deal in place with the
          airport. At least, if the track, motocross track, driving range, and
          soccer field were still there, they may have found promoters to bring
          in some income.

          My guess is the racing haters just wanted their little victory.
        • Bob Gardner
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 20, 2008
            Here is a link to the website that has the redevelopment schedule:

            http://www.co.san-
            diego.ca.us/reusable_components/images/dpw/airportpdf/gillespie/cajonair
            centerupdate0508.pdf

            I still find it hard to believe that they could not have let the track
            operate for a few more years since construction is not scheduled to
            start until late 2010.

            - Bob Gardner
          • debiu318@cox.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 21, 2008
              Hi, Bob. Marv and I hope you are doing well. We have gotten pretty involved at Barona, but it sure isn't the same.

              Miss people like you.

              Deb Chapman
              ---- Bob Gardner <rgardne1@...> wrote:
              > Here is a link to the website that has the redevelopment schedule:
              >
              > http://www.co.san-
              > diego.ca.us/reusable_components/images/dpw/airportpdf/gillespie/cajonair
              > centerupdate0508.pdf
              >
              > I still find it hard to believe that they could not have let the track
              > operate for a few more years since construction is not scheduled to
              > start until late 2010.
              >
              > - Bob Gardner

            • Shaun McCarron
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 22, 2008
                As is the case for almost everything, politics had everything to do
                with closing the track. Let's face it, how many times the Union
                Tribune cover a race? How many times did ANY local elected
                officials grace the fans with their presence? Six years of income
                versus six years of no income, great decision San Diego. Now I know
                why the local economies are all in the redÂ…

                --- In cajonspeedwaytoo@yahoogroups.com, "jfike63506" <jafike@...>