Re: [cafeasia] Fwd: [World Cafe] Digest from StoryNet

  • Juanita Brown
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 11, 2008
      Re: [cafeasia] Fwd: [World Cafe] Digest from StoryNet

      On 10/26/08 7:36 PM, "Sheila Damodaran" <dmsl@...> wrote:

      A nice reading.

      Wishing a Happy Deepavali to all our Indian colleagues and a well-deserved holiday for the rest of us!

      Warmly
      Sheila Damodaran
      Singapore:  +65-94790526
      Botswana:  +267-71330343
      http://www.lopn.net
      http://www.loatwork.com/aboutme.html
      ----- Forwarded message from WorldCafeAdmin@... -----
          Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 19:00:05 -0700
          From: World Cafe Community <WorldCafeAdmin@...>
       Subject: [World Cafe] Digest from StoryNet
            To: World_Caf=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=E9?=_Stories@...

      This is a digest of messages posted to: The World Cafe Community[1]

        Use the unsubscribe[2] form to cancel your email subscription..

      -------------------------

        StoryNet[3]

        Geneva Trade and Development Forum on Inclusive Globalization

        Initial Message[4]
      Posted by: Admin Amy  Date:  Oct 25, 2008.

        From World Café host Kathy Jourdain, at Co-Creating Futures[5]:

        Hi there,

        I am en route home – in the Newark airport – still absorbing and
      sitting in amazement, deep gratitude and appreciation for what
      transpired in Crans-Montanna in Switzerland at the 4 day international
      conference put on by the Geneva Trade and Development Forum on
      Inclusive Globalization where I was asked to host two World Cafés –
      one for a ministerial caucus on steps that need to be taken for
      inclusive globalization to be real and another more open forum on
      trade partnerships for inclusive globalization.

        These 250 participants from 60 countries from around the world had
      not, except for the odd individual, even heard about the World Café
      prior to this, much less participated in one.  Let me just say that
      the World Café was one of the main buzzes (and a growing one) of the
      conference at the end of the three days and the concrete actions that
      call for paradigm shifts in how partnerships and inclusive
      globalization are created was partly, maybe largely, inspired by the
      Café conversations.

        Prior to leaving to do this work, I had to work on my own
      insecurities resulting from the level of the participants I would be
      hosting - trade ministers from a number of countries, senior
      governmental advisors and high ranking officials in international
      trade and development organizations - and my complete ignorance of the
      subject area.

        Many of my friends in the World Café and Art of Hosting communities
      were a sounding board for me, asking me great questions to get to the
      heart of my self-doubt and offering me support – which I certainly
      felt while I was in Switzerland.  I never felt I was hosting alone and
      the right people literally showed up at my door when I needed them.
      In fact, observers were surprised to find out I’d only met my
      strategic thinking partners at the conference, the energy and
      collaboration was so strong.  We were able to create the right
      conditions and questions in a few hours prior to the cafes - because I
      had hosting knowledge and experience and they knew the audience and
      the content.

        The Ministerial Caucus Café was the biggest risk – with trade
      ministers and high ranking officials from around the world (complete
      with police and security guards) – and no desire to have their time
      wasted.  Not only did I stand my ground in the planning process as the
      planning team got nervous about the on-the-spot planning, but the
      event itself was a resounding success with concrete action steps
      emerging.  While my contact was a little nervous when I began to tell
      the ministers how to be in conversation (café etiquette) it was well
      received.  In the end, it was so successful that when some of the
      ministers left to go to the end of some panel discussion I was told
      that their contribution there was more honest and open than anyone had
      heard publicly from them before.

        The second World Café had fewer people than was originally hoped,
      the room was too large and the tables too big – and it was still a
      huge success.  For the people who were there, they moved quickly into
      deep conversation, they were passionate and engaged, leaning into the
      conversations and learning things they didn’t know before, including
      that other people had the same thoughts. Imagine that!  Both cafes
      involved on the spot translation in French and English thanks to a
      wonderful interpreter and whisperers at tables where that was needed.

        Prominent participants spoke of the Cafés and their results at the
      larger plenary sessions and before I knew it, the buzz had picked up
      momentum.  I had a conversation with one guy who had started in the
      second Café and left because he thought it was just going to be a game
      – only to hear the power of it from people who stayed.  At the end of
      the conference, the Café was commented on by each of the 5 panelists
      charged with on the spot evaluation and with listing the action steps
      – and even the conference chair impromptu-ly commented on his
      participation in the World Café.

        I ended up in deep conversations with a lot of people about the
      methodology, and about the Art of Hosting.  Quite a number of people
      asked me if I had developed the methodology and I gave credit where it
      was due.  I do not know exactly when or how, but at least some of this
      international community concerned with making trade more inclusive and
      development a key output will be looking to incorporate conversational
      methodologies into their work.

        It was even mentioned in the press release that you can find
      here[6].

        I have made some fast friends in places I certainly could not have
      anticipated.  How do I feel?  Grounded.  Centered.  Knowing I was in
      the right place and was the right person for this work.  More
      confident.  More clear.  Grateful.  Ready for what’s next.  Thank you,
      thank you, for your love and support as I continue to grow my
      knowledge of who I am and what it is I am called to do in this world.

        From Newark… Love and light,  Kathy

      Links:
      ------
      [1] http://www.theworldcafecommunity.net/webx?13@@.1adfe98d
      [2] http://www.theworldcafecommunity.net/webx?280@@.bebc200
      [3] http://www.theworldcafecommunity.net/webx?13@@.1ad8413e
      [4] http://www.theworldcafecommunity.net/webx?13@@.1adfe98d
      [5] http://www.co-creatingfutures.com
      [6] http://www.gtdforum.org/downloa/Press%20release%20final%2020.09.08.pdf
      [7] http://www.theworldcafecommunity.net/webx?13@@.1adfe98d
      [8] http://www.theworldcafecommunity.net/webx?280@@.bebc200

      ----- End forwarded message -----

      --

      Juanita Brown
      Mill Valley, CA. 94941

    • Juanita Brown
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 11, 2008
        Re: [cafeasia] Fwd: [World Cafe] Digest from StoryNet Hi dear Sheila..
        Great to hear from you and hope all is well with you in your part of the world.  And, greetings to all of our Café Asia friends!
        Fond regards,
        Juanita