UPDATE - On the effort to save CT's Quakers

  • Donna Dwyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2006
      UPDATE June 2006:

      File No. 404, (Substitute House Bill No. 5804) did not make it to be called for a vote before the deadline closing of this past legislative session. Our efforts must begin again in the next legislative session. We will again be seeking passage of this legislation. We will need your support just as much and probably more in the future.

      In the meantime there are ways you can help. If you have quaker nests near your property and are willing to provide possible alternative shelter for these birds on your property, helping to keep them off the poles and out of the hands of the utility company that seeks to destroy them, PLEASE contact Donna at  donna@... and let us know. We have several structures ready for use.

      If you have nearby or aware of quaker nest locations please contact Donna with the information. UI has been removing some more nests. We want to stay on top of what is going on in this regard. Your help is crucial. PLEASE help keep these beautiful parrots flying free here in CT. Remember the country's only native parrot, The Carolina Parakeet, was once hunted and killed to the point of extinction.

      If you are able to assist with construction and/or erection of alternative bird platforms please contact us. Help of any kind is much appreciated. Maybe you can physically help build or erect, maybe you have materials to donate, maybe a truck to transport or deliver, maybe you have ideas to contribute, whatever you have to offer is important to the effort please do not hesitate to contact with whatever assistance you can. No contribution is too small, it is only through the efforts of many concerned individuals that our goal to protect the quakers will be realized.

      In closing, on a positive note, there are quakers in residence in the very first
      platform we put up on Christmas eve (in Lordship, CT). As well as the one on Ocean Ave. in West Haven, CT. See attached photo of the Lordship Platform.

      Also, NJ Audubon has agreed to SUPPORT Senate Bill 1768. This will help in the goal of getting the quakers, in the neighboring state of NJ, off the dangerous species list there. Our thanks goes out to everyone supporting NJ's quakers also.

      Donna