Dollar Store Puzzle Pieces Bird Safetty Alert

  • Amy Hopkins
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2013
      I received this alert today.  It was originally posted on Facebook in a bird group.  Not surprising.  Many things shipped in from overseas are sprayed with pesticides to kill off any bugs that might be along for the ride, especially from southeast Asia and South America.  Yet another reason to buy from the U.S. and Canada.
      Please cross-post.
      ALERT! Just learned about a bird poisoned by a puzzle piece from the Dollar Store. A necropsy was done, and the bird died from formaldehyde and other poison sprayed on the piece as it sat in his crop. The puzzle pieces were made in China, and came in cardboard boxes. Formaldehyde was sprayed on other things to be shipped and possibly leaked through the cardboard on toay the pieces. Apparently, anything wrapped in plastic is considered safe as the poison can't get through, as is anything made in the USA or Canada.