Need Mechanic for 65 Caddy in Toronto, Ontario

  • adrianjohnm
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2007
      I can't seem to find a mechanic in the Toronto area that can work
      properly on this big old boat that I have. It is a 65 Cadillac
      Fleetwood Brougham that only has 58000 miles on it. Everyone seems
      to be young now a days and have never seemed to work on a carb or a
      car with a Choke Heat Tube!!!

      But here is what i happening.

      I have a rough idle that won't go away. I have changed the plugs,
      wires, dizzy cap and rotor, installed a "Pointless Ignition" (Helped
      somewhat), rebuilt the original carb 3 times...Bought a
      professionally rebuilt carb (Rochester 4GC). New Base gaskets were
      installed.

      Same rough idle.

      I have plugged ALL the vacuum lines and that made no difference.
      Still rough idle. Aughhhhh!!!

      I noticed that the carb rebuild kits have many gaskets that you
      don'[t use, as they are for various editions of the Rochester 4GC
      Carb. One of the gaskets, the Throttle Body to Bowl gasket has what
      are called vapour vent passages. They are on the secondaries on all
      the different gaskets, but the gasket that fits the carb on my Caddy
      also has them on the primaries. This would cause a vacuum leak, but
      I guess it is designed for that...I dunno as the gasket that came of
      the carb had the same thing.

      Also, my Choke Heat Tube is rusted and broken. Would this allow a
      vacuum? Some say yes and others say no, it would only allow exhaust
      gasses into the intake manifold.

      HELP!!!! I need someone who ha worked on these cars or similar cars.

      As mentioned...It is a 65 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham with the 429.

      Please help.