Fuel pump and water in gas

  • Jim Isbell, W5JAI
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2005
      I thought maybe someone would be interested in the following two
      modifications I have made to my 1989 Caddy Deville.

      Where I live on the coast it is not uncommon to get water in your gas
      because many of the stations have storage tanks that are below the
      ground water line and when they rust through water gets into the
      tanks. Locals spend a lot of time trying to remember which statiuons
      NOT to use to get gas while the tourist just gets "hosed", literaly.

      After getting water in the fuel for the last time I decided to do
      something about it. I added a water seperator. I found one for a
      boat that was only $18 including the bracket. It had no way to drain
      the water so I drilled a hole in the top and threaded it. Then I put
      a piece of copper tubing all the way to the bottom of the filter with
      a brass fitting in the top and a needle valve in the external line to
      a drain. When the engine is running there is 13 psi on the system so
      any water in the filter can be drained by opening the valve. Works
      like a charm.

      Then, because of the water in the fuel over the years there was just
      enough rust on the inside of the tank to totaly plug the intake filter
      on the fuel pump. This required the droping of the fuel tank to
      replace the filter..and the pump...might as well since its already
      down. This is a long hard job and I didnt want to do it again.
      SOoo..while the tank was out I cut an access hole in the floor under
      the back seat and put in a removable panel. Next time I have to
      change a filter ot fuel pump it will be a 30 minute job.

      --
      Jim Isbell
      W5JAI