Lost CC - Help

  • Robert A. Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 25, 2013
      Up until a few days ago, I was able to get Closed Captioning but it
      has suddenly vanished (from both current viewing and my old DVR
      recordings). I must have made some change that has blocked the
      display of CC but I do not know what I did.

      I have a 8300HD feeding my HD TV via a HDMI cable. I set the TV to
      CC1 and HDMI1 (ie: I am getting the TV signal from the DVR but no
      longer getting the CC). My DVR settings are CC to Digital 1. When I
      first got this set, I was not getting CC but was told that a special
      set-up was needed for HDMI feed.

      Can someone walk me through the set up again and suggest what setting
      I accidentally changed to trigger this CC loss (which as I noted was
      working until this week).

      Thank You.
    • Dennis Gleeson
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 25, 2013
        Try turning the TV captions to off and leave the box as is and see if that works.

        On Feb 25, 2013, at 11:46 PM, "Robert A. Rosenberg" <rarpsl@...> wrote:

        > Up until a few days ago, I was able to get Closed Captioning but it
        > has suddenly vanished (from both current viewing and my old DVR
        > recordings). I must have made some change that has blocked the
        > display of CC but I do not know what I did.
        >
        > I have a 8300HD feeding my HD TV via a HDMI cable. I set the TV to
        > CC1 and HDMI1 (ie: I am getting the TV signal from the DVR but no
        > longer getting the CC). My DVR settings are CC to Digital 1. When I
        > first got this set, I was not getting CC but was told that a special
        > set-up was needed for HDMI feed.
        >
        > Can someone walk me through the set up again and suggest what setting
        > I accidentally changed to trigger this CC loss (which as I noted was
        > working until this week).
        >
        > Thank You.
      • Robert A. Rosenberg
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 26, 2013
          At 00:08 -0500 on 02/26/2013, Dennis Gleeson wrote about Re:
          [cablevision_digital] Lost CC - Help:

          >Try turning the TV captions to off and leave the box as is and see
          >if that works.

          Thank You for your reply. Unfortunately it did not help. I am now
          getting CCs when I use a direct feed from the Cable (ie: The TV
          source is set to TV as opposed to HDMI1) but that precludes me from
          seeing recorded shows. I am sure that there is supposed to be some
          setting on the DVR that controls it sending CC to the TV when using
          HDMI. The TV's CC On/Off setting was working and allowed me to
          display the CC that was being passed from the DVR.

          >On Feb 25, 2013, at 11:46 PM, "Robert A. Rosenberg"
          ><mailto:rarpsl%40optonline.net>rarpsl@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Up until a few days ago, I was able to get Closed Captioning but it
          >> has suddenly vanished (from both current viewing and my old DVR
          >> recordings). I must have made some change that has blocked the
          >> display of CC but I do not know what I did.
          >>
          >> I have a 8300HD feeding my HD TV via a HDMI cable. I set the TV to
          >> CC1 and HDMI1 (ie: I am getting the TV signal from the DVR but no
          >> longer getting the CC). My DVR settings are CC to Digital 1. When I
          >> first got this set, I was not getting CC but was told that a special
          >> set-up was needed for HDMI feed.
          >>
          >> Can someone walk me through the set up again and suggest what setting
          >> I accidentally changed to trigger this CC loss (which as I noted was
          >> working until this week).
          >>
          >> Thank You.

        • PT
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 26, 2013
            Hi, can you verify if the CC is set to Std CC1?

            ________________________________
            At 00:08 -0500 on 02/26/2013, Dennis Gleeson wrote about Re:
            [cablevision_digital] Lost CC - Help:

            >Try turning the TV captions to off and leave the box as is and see
            >if that works.

            Thank You for your reply. Unfortunately it did not help. I am now
            getting CCs when I use a direct feed from the Cable (ie: The TV
            source is set to TV as opposed to HDMI1) but that precludes me from
            seeing recorded shows. I am sure that there is supposed to be some
            setting on the DVR that controls it sending CC to the TV when using
            HDMI. The TV's CC On/Off setting was working and allowed me to
            display the CC that was being passed from the DVR.

            >On Feb 25, 2013, at 11:46 PM, "Robert A. Rosenberg"
            >rarpsl@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Up until a few days ago, I was able to get Closed Captioning but it
            >> has suddenly vanished (from both current viewing and my old DVR
            >> recordings). I must have made some change that has blocked the
            >> display of CC but I do not know what I did.
            >>
            >> I have a 8300HD feeding my HD TV via a HDMI cable. I set the TV to
            >> CC1 and HDMI1 (ie: I am getting the TV signal from the DVR but no
            >> longer getting the CC). My DVR settings are CC to Digital 1. When I
            >> first got this set, I was not getting CC but was told that a special
            >> set-up was needed for HDMI feed.
            >>
            >> Can someone walk me through the set up again and suggest what setting
            >> I accidentally changed to trigger this CC loss (which as I noted was
            >> working until this week).
            >>
            >> Thank You.

          • Dennis Gleeson
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 26, 2013
              That was the only idea I had, only from some reading I did on a HL list, and looking on my moms setup a few years back. Personally I still have the standard 8300 with a non HDTV.

              On Feb 26, 2013, at 7:16 PM, "Robert A. Rosenberg" <rarpsl@...> wrote:

              > At 00:08 -0500 on 02/26/2013, Dennis Gleeson wrote about Re:
              > [cablevision_digital] Lost CC - Help:
              >
              >> Try turning the TV captions to off and leave the box as is and see
              >> if that works.
              >
              > Thank You for your reply. Unfortunately it did not help. I am now
              > getting CCs when I use a direct feed from the Cable (ie: The TV
              > source is set to TV as opposed to HDMI1) but that precludes me from
              > seeing recorded shows. I am sure that there is supposed to be some
              > setting on the DVR that controls it sending CC to the TV when using
              > HDMI. The TV's CC On/Off setting was working and allowed me to
              > display the CC that was being passed from the DVR.
              >
              >> On Feb 25, 2013, at 11:46 PM, "Robert A. Rosenberg"
              >> <mailto:rarpsl%40optonline.net>rarpsl@...> wrote:
              >>
              >>> Up until a few days ago, I was able to get Closed Captioning but it
              >>> has suddenly vanished (from both current viewing and my old DVR
              >>> recordings). I must have made some change that has blocked the
              >>> display of CC but I do not know what I did.
              >>>
              >>> I have a 8300HD feeding my HD TV via a HDMI cable. I set the TV to
              >>> CC1 and HDMI1 (ie: I am getting the TV signal from the DVR but no
              >>> longer getting the CC). My DVR settings are CC to Digital 1. When I
              >>> first got this set, I was not getting CC but was told that a special
              >>> set-up was needed for HDMI feed.
              >>>
              >>> Can someone walk me through the set up again and suggest what setting
              >>> I accidentally changed to trigger this CC loss (which as I noted was
              >>> working until this week).
            • Robert A. Rosenberg
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 26, 2013
                At 16:42 -0800 on 02/26/2013, PT wrote about Re:
                [cablevision_digital] Lost CC - Help:

                >Hi, can you verify if the CC is set to Std CC1?

                CC Source is set to STD1 CC1 (there are also CC2-CC6 and STD2-STD4
                and T1-T4 options). It is very annoying since I had it working and
                suddenly it has stopped. I know I must have messed up some setting
                but I can not find it.

                Note that before I lost CC, I was displaying CCs when the TV was set
                to CC1 and no CCs when it was set to NO-CC or CC-when-Muted.

                >________________________________
                >From: Robert A. Rosenberg <mailto:rarpsl%40optonline.net>rarpsl@...>

              • PT
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 27, 2013
                  Ok, CC when muted won't work with HDMI since CC is being activated on the box, but mute is on the TV. Here are the default settings the box comes with.

                  CC: Background
                  Shading: Default
                  Color: Black
                  CC: Characters
                  Shading: Default
                  Color: White
                  Style: Default
                  CC: Options
                  Text Size: Default
                  Caption Style: Set By Viewer
                  CC: Source
                  Standard Source: StdCC1
                  Digital Source: Digital 1

                  Can you try turning to CNN, wait for the show to start and see if CC displays on that channel.

                  ________________________________
                  At 16:42 -0800 on 02/26/2013, PT wrote about Re:
                  [cablevision_digital] Lost CC - Help:

                  >Hi, can you verify if the CC is set to Std CC1?

                  CC Source is set to STD1 CC1 (there are also CC2-CC6 and STD2-STD4
                  and T1-T4 options). It is very annoying since I had it working and
                  suddenly it has stopped. I know I must have messed up some setting
                  but I can not find it.

                  Note that before I lost CC, I was displaying CCs when the TV was set
                  to CC1 and no CCs when it was set to NO-CC or CC-when-Muted.

                  >________________________________
                  >From: Robert A. Rosenberg rarpsl@...>

                • Robert A. Rosenberg
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 28, 2013
                    These are the settings I have. I am still not getting CCs via the
                    HDMI Interface. If I switch my TV to TV (ie: Cable) interface I DO
                    get CCs so I know that there is CC to be displayed. This is getting
                    very frustrating since HDMI CCs were working up until last week and I
                    do not think I changed any settings.

                  • Dago Red
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 1, 2013
                      You didn't mention any where in your posts, but did you try restarting
                      the DVR - unplug for 10 secs, plug back in, and let reboot?

                      If the process that handles CC has somehow crashed, it will not
                      restart until the DVR is rebooted.

                      Just a thought.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 1, 2013
                        That is the next thing I plan to try.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 1, 2013
                          I just rebooted my DVR and it restored the HDMI CCs. Thank you for
                          that suggestion.