Re: Cable box crashing since adding eSATA drive

  • Ron Troy
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 30, 2012
      A DVR external hard drive note; Western Digital told me that they make
      certain hard drives with specs more attuned to video needs then computer
      hard drive needs. Probably slower access (head movements) but faster, more
      consistent data streaming performance.

      I had an old My DVR Extender that died (apparently a problem on the circuit
      board OR the AC adaptor); inside I found a SATA 3.5 drive which as per the
      specs for the drive number was designed for video use. I will probably put
      it inside a large desktop PC I built to use for video conversion work since
      it seems to check out well.

      BTW, I replaced the MDE - on a TIVO HD, with the latest, 1TB version.
      Works fine except for the TIVO's very loose esata connector. It doesn't
      seem to have the problem that the 8300's seem to have with larger drives.

    • Rob
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 31, 2012
        Since when does Cablevision have SA8300HDC?

        --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "stannc" <stannc@...> wrote:

        > This issue was discussed at length in the forum for another provider, and their conclusion was that the 8300HDC (with cable card slot) will work but the 8300HD (no slot) will not work reliably with the eSATA drive.
        >
        > -Stan
        >
        > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Ron van Hoof <rvhoof@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have a 1TB wd dvr expander and have not had any issues.
        > >
        > > Ron
        > >
        > > Sent from my Droid

      • deansurkin
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2013
          I recall that they began using the "C" model right after the FCC required cable companies to conform with the CableCard requirement for third-party hardware. The only difference between the SA8300HD and the SA8300HDC is that the "C" model conforms to the CableCard standard, and (if I remember correctly) uses the same CableCard that would be used with a Tivo or similar device.
          --Dean L. Surkin

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2013
            True, but Cablevision never used that model. They got a waiver due to their use of smartcards.

            --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "deansurkin" <dsurkin@...> wrote:

            > I recall that they began using the "C" model right after the FCC required cable companies to conform with the CableCard requirement for third-party hardware. The only difference between the SA8300HD and the SA8300HDC is that the "C" model conforms to the CableCard standard, and (if I remember correctly) uses the same CableCard that would be used with a Tivo or similar device.
            > --Dean L. Surkin
            >
            > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <rob_tyska@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Since when does Cablevision have SA8300HDC?

          • James W.
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 21, 2013
              --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "James W." wrote:

              > So about a month ago, I added an eSATA drive (WD) to my system, which has generally been working. However, my SA8300HD has crashed multiple times since then.
              >
              > I have seen several behaviors, from
              > - A "silent" reboot (usually overnight, loses the eSATA drive connection, which was sleeping).
              > - A "countdown" crash - the display on the box counts down, in HEX, then the system restarts.
              > - A total freezeup. The system will not respond. If it is ON, the screen freezes and nothing works until I hard-power the unit. If it is off, and I try to turn in on, I hear a click, but nothing else happens until I hard-power the unit.
              >
              > Is this what I can expect from now on with an eSATA drive, or is there something else wrong with my box, which I believe I have had since about 2005/2006?
              >
              > Not sure if it is a coincidence, but I am also seeing bad stuttering on many channels, for about as long as I have had the eSATA. To the point that the "stutter" can be anywhere from a split second frequently, to a full video/audio freeze for up to 10-20 seconds.
              >
              > Jim

              So, WD support was able to swap out the drive and I plugged it in last night. No stuttering all night, which was a good sign.

              Woke up this morning, and the box was repeatedly booting (partly) and then counting-down in HEX again. Bad sign.

              So, I'm guessing this is probably the 8300HD itself and not the drive at all. Gonna try swapping that out this coming weekend. Sucks, but at least I have very little recorded for now. Do they have enough replacement boxes at CV for the 8300HD for a walk-in, or should I call ahead?

              Jim