RE: [cablevision_digital] SA 8300HD Questions

  • Bark Woof
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 27, 2012
      I don't think there are any new boxes out there. They're reconditioned and
      if yours is working well you should keep it as there are a lot of lemons in
      the replacements.

      I have used a Phantom drive successfully for several years. I would say at
      least 5.

      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 27, 2012
        Hi,

        Yes, I've been wondering the same thing since I too have been using my SA
        8300 since 2006 as well.

        Wasn't concerned about the space on the hard drive but rather if there were
        better tuners inside. Because I use the out to VCR feature a lot dubbing
        movies onto DVD-R (which the down-converted HD signal from the s-Video
        output and up-conversion the picture is really quite excellent - about an
        8.5 compared to the original sources) the new DVR+ system would not work
        for me.

        So if the old one goes, if the remaining boxes are indeed re-conditioned,
        then I'll have little choice.

        On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 7:30 PM, Bark Woof <barkbarkwoof@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I don't think there are any new boxes out there. They're reconditioned and
        > if yours is working well you should keep it as there are a lot of lemons in
        > the replacements.
        >
        > I have used a Phantom drive successfully for several years. I would say at
        > least 5.

        Mary and Joe

      • James W.
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 28, 2012
          Thanks for the info and the provided link, although the list there appears to be rather dated, with the most recent entries somewhat lacking in information and the older drives no longer manufactured/sold.

          Someone had recommended a Phantom drive, so I looked at one on Amazon but the reviews appear to be either 5-stars or 1-star, about evenly split, with the poor reviews showing about a 3-month failure time and really poor support from the company.

          Anyone have a recent (1yr?) purchase that is doing well that could share the specific model number(s)?

          Jim

          --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <rob_tyska@...> wrote:

          > 1. The drive sizes haven't changed, and depending on your system you might have a hard time getting a newer one on a swap as they switch to DVR+.
          >
          > 2. eSATA has worked for quite some time now.
          >
          > 3. http://baseportal.com/cgi-bin/baseportal.pl?htx=/xnappo/main
          >

          > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "James W." <jim_kern@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi everyone. I tried searching for my questions before posting, but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I figured I'd post a few questions...
          > >
          > > 1- I have a SA 8300HD box that I have had, I believe, since about 2006, give or take a year. I am curious if the internal HDD capacity has increased since then - as in, if I wanted to swap out my current box for a newer one, would I get more recording capacity?
          > >
          > > 2- Is the eSATA port active on these boxes now? I know it wasn't when I first got it.
          > >
          > > 3- Are there specific, recommended eSATA drive models to get for best compatibility and/or are there any specific hints I should know before I take the plunge for an external drive?
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance!
          > >
          > > Jim

        • Rick
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 28, 2012
            This is the one I am using but it is out of stock. Maybe you could order a
            similar one from the same company.

            http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZKUIJS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

            Rick

            --
            Rick

          • Ron van Hoof
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 28, 2012
              I've been using a Western Digital DVR Expander with much success.

              http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Expander-eSATA-External/dp/B003MVZ60S/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0

              Ron

            • G
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 28, 2012
                This is the one I use:
                http://bit.ly/QqN3N6

                You have to BYOHD.

                --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Ron van Hoof <rvhoof@...> wrote:

                > I've been using a Western Digital DVR Expander with much success.
                >
                > http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Expander-eSATA-External/dp/B003MVZ60S/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0
                >
                > Ron

              • James W.
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 28, 2012
                  Thanks, Ron...that's one of the ones I was looking at @ Best Buy. A few reviews mentioned a problem with the drive shutting down/disconnecting overnight...have you had similar issues?

                  Almost ready to pull the trigger.

                  Jim

                  --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Ron van Hoof <rvhoof@...> wrote:

                  > I've been using a Western Digital DVR Expander with much success.
                  >
                  > http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Expander-eSATA-External/dp/B003MVZ60S/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0
                  >
                  > Ron

                • marcauslander
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 28, 2012
                    Not all drives and enclosures work. So please use a known good combination.

                    http://baseportal.com/cgi-bin/baseportal.pl?htx=/xnappo/main

                    is one resource.

                    However, the Western Digital MY DVR Expander is known to work - it's what I use and another poster has already mentioned it. The fact that it was designed to work is what sold me.

                    By the way - the WD is fanless so it's quiet, something you want in a device that's right by your TV.

                    (If you own a spare drive, trying to pair it with an enclosure would make sense).
                  • marcauslander
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 28, 2012
                      There is a bug in the SA 8300HD. If the external drive is in sleep mode and the box is rebooted, the box does not detect the drive! This happens overnight when they push new software - a few times a year.

                      The easy reliable fix is just to unplug both - mine share an extension cord - and plug them back in. The only real problem is you can loose a recording for lack of space if you don't restart them.

                      AFAIK, any drive capable of being powered up and down by the box will have this failure.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 28, 2012
                        Hi Jim,

                        I haven't had any issues with the drive. The only thing to be aware of is that you need to perform
                        an additional reboot if the box was rebooted due to a software update pushed by Cablevision. The
                        drive is not recognized on a reboot post software update, probably because it goes into a sleep
                        state and is not woken up by the software update reboot process. You can quickly check whether a
                        reboot is required by trying to play back a previously recorded show. If it won't play back you know
                        you need to perform a reboot.

                        Ron

                      • Tom McGarry
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 28, 2012
                          Been using the earlier version of the Apricorn DVR Expander for years.
                          Except for the rebooting which has been mentioned, it works great. The
                          company even says it works with Cablevison

                          http://www.apricorn.com/apricorn-dvr-expander.html
                        • James W.
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 4, 2012
                            Thanks for all the input...the WD drive is on it's way from Amazon right now!

                            Jim

                          • James W.
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 7, 2012
                              So, I got my drive and set it up...pretty easy. A few on-screen prompts for formatting and it was in.

                              Here's the weirdness, though it seems to have resolved. I set it up at about 6:00PM and, as stated, it was done in minutes. I went out for a few hours, but my wife stayed home. It recorded a show from 8-9 and another from 8-8:30. After 9, the cable box started rebooting for some reason. When I got home at about 9:45, it was on it's 5th or 6th reboot, according to my wife.

                              I unplugged the drive for the night and the box booted up just fine.

                              Next morning, I plugged it in and recorded a 1/2 hour show from 4:30-5. Everthing was fine. It recorded a scheduled show from 6-7, again no problem.

                              In fact, I have had no problems since.

                              Very weird, but generally speaking, I'm pleased, bumpy takeoff notwithstanding.

                              Jim