Re: FOX & CW

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 1 6:50 PM
      It depends on where you live and what kind of antenna you hook up. But if you have a newer TV you don't need to change hookups, just what input you are watching. You can have both an antenna and cable box hooked up.

      --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, alex starseeker <moody1515@...> wrote:

      > So I can get all these by buying a simple digital antenna and hooking it up to my TV? I just have to alternate between having the cable box and the digital antenna hooked up to get all these stations that cablevision doesnt currently carry?
      >

      > To: cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com
      > From: in4ex@...
      > Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 01:23:50 +0000
      > Subject: [cablevision_digital] Re: FOX & CW

      > It's all a matter of Tribune being paid a penny or so per cable subscriber, per month. As soon as that happens, expect every local station to ask for the same. CV might have given in previously on some cable channels, and a couple of local broadcasters that have numerous cable channels. Tribune does not have much cable programming, just Antenna TV, which is also over the air in many cities and superstation WGN.
      >

      > I expect this to be a long, drawn-out battle. Near the city line, WPIX has an excellent broadcast signal, plus I get another of their sub channels -- This TV, mostly MGM movies and early TV shows. There are a number of other networks available only over the air, such as Bounce, also movies and old TV shows on 9.3, and a very low budget all news channel from WCBS on 2.2 and a few other low power stations.
      >

      > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "compfan03" <lynnch@> wrote:
      >

      > > Thanks Rob - so when the contract disupute is resolved, I can expect to get FOX and CW back - right? I do have a message about the dispute when I tune to the FOX channel. I do not seem to have a message at all about the CW channel. CW was replaced, with the Style channel, I think.
      >

      > > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <rob_tyska@> wrote:
      >

      > > > Tribune owns the stations that are the FOX and CW affiliates that have been pulled from your system.
      >

      > > > These disputes involving broadcast stations eventually get resolved, but in the meantime you might be able to get the channels with an antenna hooked up to your TV. Depending on the show you may also be able to watch them on the FOX and CW websites.
      >

      > > > Of course you may also have the option to get your TV from another provider, either Direct TV, Dish Network, or at&t Uverse.

    • Marc
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 2 7:34 AM
        You may not even need a digital antenna. I use a 20 year old rooftop
        antenna on my HD set and it works perfectly. On another set, I use a simple twin pole antenna and it pulls in all of the major stations.

        If you have a TV with multiple inputs, you won't even have to unplug and swap cables to change beteen cable and broadcast. Just plug both in and use the input or source button on the TV remote to switch between the two. If you have an older set with just one input, an A/B switch works well.

        As I mentioned, in addition to getting WPIX and Antenna TV back, there are a number of other channels you will find over the air:
        2.2 CBSNY+ a very low budget all news channel with short updates and lots of repeats
        9.3 BOUNCE Movies and old shows
        11.3 THIS TV MGM movies and old shows
        12.2 and also 31.2 QUBO all cartoons
        12.3 and also 31.3 ION Life a variety of how-to and self-improvement shows

        Also, WKOB on ch 42 did have a number of old movies and TV shows from the 50's but all they show right now is a test pattern. If you are in the north eastern suburbs, you might also get WZME channel 43 airing the MeTV and RTV networks showing classic shows from the 60's and 70's. A number of other channels, mostly Spanish and Chinese languages, some with translations, and other channels just showing infomercials or test paterns are also easy to pull in with a rooftop antenna.

        --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, alex starseeker <moody1515@...> wrote:

        > So I can get all these by buying a simple digital antenna and hooking it up to my TV? I just have to alternate between having the cable box and the digital antenna hooked up to get all these stations that cablevision doesnt currently carry?
        >

        > To: cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com
        > From: in4ex@...
        > Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 01:23:50 +0000
        > Subject: [cablevision_digital] Re: FOX & CW

        > It's all a matter of Tribune being paid a penny or so per cable subscriber, per month. As soon as that happens, expect every local station to ask for the same. CV might have given in previously on some cable channels, and a couple of local broadcasters that have numerous cable channels. Tribune does not have much cable programming, just Antenna TV, which is also over the air in many cities and superstation WGN.
        >

        > I expect this to be a long, drawn-out battle. Near the city line, WPIX has an excellent broadcast signal, plus I get another of their sub channels -- This TV, mostly MGM movies and early TV shows. There are a number of other networks available only over the air, such as Bounce, also movies and old TV shows on 9.3, and a very low budget all news channel from WCBS on 2.2 and a few other low power stations.
        >

        > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "compfan03" <lynnch@> wrote:
        >

        > > Thanks Rob - so when the contract disupute is resolved, I can expect to get FOX and CW back - right? I do have a message about the dispute when I tune to the FOX channel. I do not seem to have a message at all about the CW channel. CW was replaced, with the Style channel, I think.
        >

        > > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <rob_tyska@> wrote:
        >

        > > > Tribune owns the stations that are the FOX and CW affiliates that have been pulled from your system.
        >

        > > > These disputes involving broadcast stations eventually get resolved, but in the meantime you might be able to get the channels with an antenna hooked up to your TV. Depending on the show you may also be able to watch them on the FOX and CW websites.
        >

        > > > Of course you may also have the option to get your TV from another provider, either Direct TV, Dish Network, or at&t Uverse.

      • Eddie Burke
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 2 2:24 PM
          Reception of these channels depend on your location....here in Cablevision
          only country in eastern Brookhaven town, you cannot get anything OTC except
          CBS owned WLNG and two spanish stations. Location. location, location is the
          name of the game.

          Ed

          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 4 10:08 AM
            Exactly why I stated my location in a previous message on this topic.

            Regarding the Tribune dispute, I see that WPIX is airing commercials telling their viewers to be wary of Cablevision and their unethical business practices.

            Here's a look at Cablevision after the separation of MSG and AMC (apologies if this has been mentioned earlier, I have not seen it here):
            http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444082904577609591468955330.html

            http://www.nasdaq.com/article/heard-on-the-street-cablevision-left-in-a-spin-20120824-00537

            --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Eddie Burke <ed11703@...> wrote:

            > Reception of these channels depend on your location....here in Cablevision
            > only country in eastern Brookhaven town, you cannot get anything OTC except
            > CBS owned WLNG and two spanish stations. Location. location, location is the
            > name of the game.
            >
            > Ed
          • Bark Woof
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 4 12:15 PM
              Lucky you! I haven't seen any commercials as I won't watch the Style
              network. ;)

              Exactly why I stated my location in a previous message on this topic.

              Regarding the Tribune dispute, I see that WPIX is airing commercials telling
              their viewers to be wary of Cablevision and their unethical business
              practices.

              Here's a look at Cablevision after the separation of MSG and AMC (apologies
              if this has been mentioned earlier, I have not seen it here):
              http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444082904577609591468955330.ht
              ml

              http://www.nasdaq.com/article/heard-on-the-street-cablevision-left-in-a-spin
              -20120824-00537

              --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Eddie Burke <ed11703@...> wrote:

              > Reception of these channels depend on your location....here in
              > Cablevision only country in eastern Brookhaven town, you cannot get
              > anything OTC except CBS owned WLNG and two spanish stations. Location.
              > location, location is the name of the game.
              >
              > Ed

            • Marc
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 5 9:43 AM
                You misunderstood -- I stated I was watching WPIX, and not what is currently airing on cable channel 11.

                --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Bark Woof <barkbarkwoof@...> wrote:

                > Lucky you! I haven't seen any commercials as I won't watch the Style
                > network. ;)

              • compfan03
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 14 9:00 AM
                  Is there any information at all about getting CW and Fox back in the New Haven area. I believe this only affects a small number of users in Bridgeport, New Haven and Litchfield. But having no CW or FOX is really a problem now that we are in the fall prime time season and football season. I am really finding this to be a problem.

                  --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "compfan03" <lynnch@...> wrote:

                  > I am on the New Haven Cablevision system. I have no programs on Fox and there's a message that says Cablevision is negotiating with Tribune to bring back Fox. What exactly does that mean. I still have Fox news and FX, so who is Tribune?
                  >
                  > I cannot find the CW channel. Is that permanently gone?
                  >
                  > None of this matters too much because there has been nothing to watch over the summer. But next week I am thinking I will be missing the Fox football games. and in September I will be wanting to watch CW prime time shows. Do I have any options?

                • Kenneth Stone
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 15 7:49 AM
                    Apparently, the Tribune Company owns channel 25 in Hartford so the problem isn't directly with Fox but with the owner of the CT Fox affiliate.

                    Doesn't seem to be getting too much media attention I suspect because so few people involved.

                    If anyone at Cablevision is reading this: how about putting NY Fox channel 5 on the CT system? If you don't have a deal with Ch 25 then I suppose there is no contractual limit to doing that? It may also put pressure on Tribune to make a deal.

                    Just my 2c,
                    Ken

                    > Is there any information at all about getting CW and Fox back in the New Haven area. I believe this only affects a small number of users in Bridgeport, New Haven and Litchfield. But having no CW or FOX is really a problem now that we are in the fall prime time season and football season. I am really finding this to be a problem.
                    >
                    > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "compfan03" <lynnch@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I am on the New Haven Cablevision system. I have no programs on Fox and there's a message that says Cablevision is negotiating with Tribune to bring back Fox. What exactly does that mean. I still have Fox news and FX, so who is Tribune?
                    > >
                    > > I cannot find the CW channel. Is that permanently gone?
                    > >
                    > > None of this matters too much because there has been nothing to watch over the summer. But next week I am thinking I will be missing the Fox football games. and in September I will be wanting to watch CW prime time shows. Do I have any options?

                  • m_luper
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 17 6:28 AM
                      Cablevision can't "just do" that. New Haven and Litchfield counties are not in the NY metro area...so WNYW/New York Fox 5 is considered an out of market signal in those counties for regulatory purposes.

                      In order for Cablevision to be permitted to "import" the out of market Fox signal, they'd have to get approval from the local Fox affiliate (Tribune owned WTIC-TV, in this case) to do so.

                      Given the state of affairs between Cablevision and Tribune, I'd put the probablility of such an approval at zero.

                      There have been some cases in the past where Time Warner Cable imported out of market network signals to cable systems where there was a retransmission dispute with a local station. I'm not sure about the circumstances regarding those situations.

                      --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Stone <krstone@...> wrote:

                      > Apparently, the Tribune Company owns channel 25 in Hartford so the problem isn't directly with Fox but with the owner of the CT Fox affiliate.
                      >
                      > Doesn't seem to be getting too much media attention I suspect because so few people involved.
                      >
                      > If anyone at Cablevision is reading this: how about putting NY Fox channel 5 on the CT system? If you don't have a deal with Ch 25 then I suppose there is no contractual limit to doing that? It may also put pressure on Tribune to make a deal.
                      >
                      > Just my 2c,
                      > Ken
                    • Rob
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 17 8:55 AM
                        Actually Time Warner just won a ruling that allows them to broadcast out of market signals because the contract they had with one broadcast didn't specifically deny them that right. Cablevision may or may not have the same right, it depends on the contract.

                        http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/182659/time-warner-cable-wins-court-ruling.html

                        --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "m_luper" <m_luper@...> wrote:

                        > Cablevision can't "just do" that. New Haven and Litchfield counties are not in the NY metro area...so WNYW/New York Fox 5 is considered an out of market signal in those counties for regulatory purposes.
                        >
                        > In order for Cablevision to be permitted to "import" the out of market Fox signal, they'd have to get approval from the local Fox affiliate (Tribune owned WTIC-TV, in this case) to do so.
                        >
                        > Given the state of affairs between Cablevision and Tribune, I'd put the probablility of such an approval at zero.
                        >
                        > There have been some cases in the past where Time Warner Cable imported out of market network signals to cable systems where there was a retransmission dispute with a local station. I'm not sure about the circumstances regarding those situations.
                        >

                        > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Stone <krstone@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Apparently, the Tribune Company owns channel 25 in Hartford so the problem isn't directly with Fox but with the owner of the CT Fox affiliate.
                        > >
                        > > Doesn't seem to be getting too much media attention I suspect because so few people involved.
                        > >
                        > > If anyone at Cablevision is reading this: how about putting NY Fox channel 5 on the CT system? If you don't have a deal with Ch 25 then I suppose there is no contractual limit to doing that? It may also put pressure on Tribune to make a deal.
                        > >
                        > > Just my 2c,
                        > > Ken

                      • m_luper
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 17 9:07 AM
                          Interesting article. I'm sure that loophole will close shortly.

                          In any case, if Cablevision had such an option at their disposal, they would likely have used it by now.

                          --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <rob_tyska@...> wrote:

                          > Actually Time Warner just won a ruling that allows them to broadcast out of market signals because the contract they had with one broadcast didn't specifically deny them that right. Cablevision may or may not have the same right, it depends on the contract.
                          >
                          > http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/182659/time-warner-cable-wins-court-ruling.html
                        • George Kastrioti
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 17 10:07 AM
                            would love to see WTIC back on the Norwalk System. Interesting that I dont have the channel in Easton because I am on the Norwalk system but the folks in Fairfield have the channel because they are on the Bridgeport system though Fairfield is closer to NYC than Easton CT is.

                            Based on the WT ruling, maybe once the issue is resolved CV will be able to add the channel back onto the Norwalk System

                            ________________________________
                            Actually Time Warner just won a ruling that allows them to broadcast out of market signals because the contract they had with one broadcast didn't specifically deny them that right. Cablevision may or may not have the same right, it depends on the contract.

                            http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/182659/time-warner-cable-wins-court-ruling.html

                            --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "m_luper" <m_luper@...> wrote:

                            > Cablevision can't "just do" that. New Haven and Litchfield counties are not in the NY metro area...so WNYW/New York Fox 5 is considered an out of market signal in those counties for regulatory purposes.
                            >
                            > In order for Cablevision to be permitted to "import" the out of market Fox signal, they'd have to get approval from the local Fox affiliate (Tribune owned WTIC-TV, in this case) to do so.
                            >
                            > Given the state of affairs between Cablevision and Tribune, I'd put the probablility of such an approval at zero.
                            >
                            > There have been some cases in the past where Time Warner Cable imported out of market network signals to cable systems where there was a retransmission dispute with a local station. I'm not sure about the circumstances regarding those situations.
                            >

                            > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Stone <krstone@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Apparently, the Tribune Company owns channel 25 in Hartford so the problem isn't directly with Fox but with the owner of the CT Fox affiliate.
                            > >
                            > > Doesn't seem to be getting too much media attention I suspect because so few people involved.
                            > >
                            > > If anyone at Cablevision is reading this: how about putting NY Fox channel 5 on the CT system? If you don't have a deal with Ch 25 then I suppose there is no contractual limit to doing that? It may also put pressure on Tribune to make a deal.
                            > >
                            > > Just my 2c,
                            > > Ken

                          • Marc
                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 19, 2012
                              Just noticed that last night's Giants-Cardinals game was also shown on Fox's Spanish-language sports network (which is sometimes available in English via the SAP). If the local Fox affiliate in CT is still blocked, are the other Fox channels also unavailable?

                              > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Stone <krstone@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Apparently, the Tribune Company owns channel 25 in Hartford so the problem isn't directly with Fox but with the owner of the CT Fox affiliate.
                              > >
                              > > Doesn't seem to be getting too much media attention I suspect because so few people involved.
                              > >
                              > > If anyone at Cablevision is reading this: how about putting NY Fox channel 5 on the CT system? If you don't have a deal with Ch 25 then I suppose there is no contractual limit to doing that? It may also put pressure on Tribune to make a deal.
                              > >
                              > > Just my 2c,
                              > > Ken

                            • Charles Richter
                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 19, 2012
                                Any update if antenna. TV will be coming back. I tried a digital antenna.
                                Did not work
                                On Oct 19, 2012 9:04 PM, "Marc" <in4ex@...> wrote:

                                > **
                                >

                                > Just noticed that last night's Giants-Cardinals game was also shown on
                                > Fox's Spanish-language sports network (which is sometimes available in
                                > English via the SAP). If the local Fox affiliate in CT is still blocked,
                                > are the other Fox channels also unavailable?
                                >
                                > > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Stone <krstone@>
                                > wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Apparently, the Tribune Company owns channel 25 in Hartford so the
                                > problem isn't directly with Fox but with the owner of the CT Fox affiliate.
                                > > >
                                > > > Doesn't seem to be getting too much media attention I suspect because
                                > so few people involved.
                                > > >
                                > > > If anyone at Cablevision is reading this: how about putting NY Fox
                                > channel 5 on the CT system? If you don't have a deal with Ch 25 then I
                                > suppose there is no contractual limit to doing that? It may also put
                                > pressure on Tribune to make a deal.
                                > > >
                                > > > Just my 2c,
                                > > > Ken

                              • m_luper
                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 20, 2012
                                  Antenna TV will possibly come back when an agreement between Tribune and Cablevision is reached. It's possible that Antenna TV never comes back, depending on what is negotiated. In any case, there has been no news. I don't think that too many people miss WPIX, but I feel for those who are outside the NYC metro area and are missing Fox.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 20, 2012
                                    I hope antenna TV come back I love that channel. Is is just a joke. They
                                    can't. Agree
                                    On Oct 20, 2012 9:42 AM, "m_luper" <m_luper@...> wrote:

                                    > **
                                    >

                                    > Antenna TV will possibly come back when an agreement between Tribune and
                                    > Cablevision is reached. It's possible that Antenna TV never comes back,
                                    > depending on what is negotiated. In any case, there has been no news. I
                                    > don't think that too many people miss WPIX, but I feel for those who are
                                    > outside the NYC metro area and are missing Fox.
                                    >
                                    > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Charles Richter <crichter224@...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Any update if antenna. TV will be coming back. I tried a digital antenna.
                                    > > Did not work
                                    > > On Oct 19, 2012 9:04 PM, "Marc" <in4ex@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > **
                                    > > >

                                    > > > Just noticed that last night's Giants-Cardinals game was also shown on
                                    > > > Fox's Spanish-language sports network (which is sometimes available in
                                    > > > English via the SAP). If the local Fox affiliate in CT is still
                                    > blocked,
                                    > > > are the other Fox channels also unavailable?

                                  • G
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 20, 2012
                                      Not to mention Arrow on the CW. So far I've watched the first two episodes online and I think it's one of the best new shows this season.

                                      --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Charles Richter <crichter224@...> wrote:

                                      > I hope antenna TV come back I love that channel. Is is just a joke. They
                                      > can't. Agree
                                      > On Oct 20, 2012 9:42 AM, "m_luper" <m_luper@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > **
                                      > >

                                      > > Antenna TV will possibly come back when an agreement between Tribune and
                                      > > Cablevision is reached. It's possible that Antenna TV never comes back,
                                      > > depending on what is negotiated. In any case, there has been no news. I
                                      > > don't think that too many people miss WPIX, but I feel for those who are
                                      > > outside the NYC metro area and are missing Fox.
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Charles Richter <crichter224@>
                                      > > wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Any update if antenna. TV will be coming back. I tried a digital antenna.
                                      > > > Did not work

                                      > > blocked,

                                    • mbd007
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 21, 2012
                                        > Arrow on the CW...I think it's one of the best new shows this
                                        > season.

                                        I agree. I've been watching it over the air, I had almost forgotten how good broadcast HD looks.
                                      • Ron Troy
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Oct 21, 2012
                                          We're on Long Island but out of range for anything antenna based so for us
                                          CW is gone, including any new shows. They may be on the CW site but we
                                          don't even hear about them.

                                        • Marc
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Oct 21, 2012
                                            As Cablevision has pointed out, CW's primetime shows are available on cwtv.com. I noticed that the CT newspapers have pointed out that CV customers might not see the World Series. Though I highly doubt that an agreement will be reached in the next few days, I do think that Fox Desportes is probably still available. The Spanish-language network is scheduled to air the World Series, it is ch 1067 in NYC.
                                            If CV and Tribune ever come to an agreement, my guess is that we will see WGN added to our lineups. I have not seen any positive statements re negotiations in the trade publications.

                                            > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Charles Richter <crichter224@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > I hope antenna TV come back I love that channel. Is is just a joke. They
                                            > > can't. Agree
                                            > > On Oct 20, 2012 9:42 AM, "m_luper" <m_luper@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > > **
                                            > > > Antenna TV will possibly come back when an agreement between Tribune and
                                            > > > Cablevision is reached. It's possible that Antenna TV never comes back,
                                            > > > depending on what is negotiated. In any case, there has been no news. I
                                            > > > don't think that too many people miss WPIX, but I feel for those who are
                                            > > > outside the NYC metro area and are missing Fox.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Charles Richter <crichter224@>

                                            > > > blocked,

                                          • Chris
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Oct 27, 2012
                                              Seems like Cablevision and Tribune have reached an agreement with WPIX/Antenna TV returning along with WTIC in Connecticut though Tribune got to pull WTIC out of Northern Fairfield County.

                                              --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "Marc" <in4ex@...> wrote:

                                              > As Cablevision has pointed out, CW's primetime shows are available on cwtv.com. I noticed that the CT newspapers have pointed out that CV customers might not see the World Series. Though I highly doubt that an agreement will be reached in the next few days, I do think that Fox Desportes is probably still available. The Spanish-language network is scheduled to air the World Series, it is ch 1067 in NYC.
                                              > If CV and Tribune ever come to an agreement, my guess is that we will see WGN added to our lineups. I have not seen any positive statements re negotiations in the trade publications.
                                              >

                                              > > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Charles Richter <crichter224@> wrote:
                                              > > >
                                              > > > I hope antenna TV come back I love that channel. Is is just a joke. They
                                              > > > can't. Agree

                                            • Stan Sidlov
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Oct 27, 2012
                                                I find it amazing that CV can negotiate with Dish for the AMC stuff, and
                                                with agreement they are up the same day, they can do the same with Tribune.
                                                But they can't even tell us when the new ESPN/Disney stuff goes into
                                                effect.