Re: Surround Sound on CV

  • mbd007
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2012
      I have seen no evidence that Cablevision is suppressing surround sound. In fact, for broadcast, I am feeding both over the air from an outboard HD tuner and Cablevision from an 8300HD DVR into the same Sony 5.1 sound processor. I can switch back and forth and there is no difference in the sound. Tune in the next viewing of Hawaii 5-0 on CBS or Lost Girl on SyFy, and you should get outstanding surround sound. If you are not, you have some sort of issue with either the TIVO or your Yamaha receiver.

      Assuming that the TIVO is working and set up correctly, I would assume the source is not broadcasting surround. For example, the 5.1 indicator always lights up for TCM-HD, but unless the movie was originally in stereo, the only sound I get is from the center channel, with very low volume left/right.

      I have also found that some channels are broadcasting Dolby Digital 2.0, with only a left and right. I have to switch the Sony 5.1 processor from Dolby Digital to Dolby Pro-Logic to get center/surround.