Re: [cablevision_digital] Leaving CV

  • John Hedger
    Message 1 of 17 , May 2, 2011
      DirecTV has been installed and I just cancelled CV.  FYI, there was a 15 minute
      wait to speak to a disconnect rep.  I think that desk might be understaffed ;)
      I told her I was leaving because of no 3D and no HD in the sports subscription
      packages.  Obviously she had no answer to that and graciously put thru the
      disconnect.

      So far, I feel I made the right choice.  The HD picture quality is noticably
      better, hard to explain, but it just seems to have more depth.  I've had a
      couple of "wow" moments that I didn't get with CV.  The UI, guide, DVR software
      is so much faster and so far superior, I don't know what to say.  The Guide
      button brings up the guide, not the menu like on CV.  Even the remote's better,
      although it's missing a "Live" button which I used a lot on CV's DVR.  Directv
      DVRs came with 500GB drives.

      The one area that cable does a better job is with Video on Demand.  On DirecTV,
      you can only access it with a DVR because it needs to download the show/movie.
      Once you download it, however, you can watch it on any TV.  Mildly annoying, but
      workable.  The offerings are plentiful.  Many movies are 1080p.

      Lastly 3D is very very cool.  I wish I had done this before The Masters golf.

      Anyway, this being a CV forum, I've probably gone too far off topic, so I'll
      leave it at that.  I'll stick around for a bit if anyone has questions.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 17 , May 2, 2011
        On Mon, 02 May 2011 18:24 -0700, "John Hedger" <pallhedge@...>
        wrote:

        > So far, I feel I made the right choice.  The HD picture quality is
        > noticably
        > better, hard to explain, but it just seems to have more depth.  I've had
        > couple of "wow" moments that I didn't get with CV.  The UI, guide, DVR
        > software
        > is so much faster and so far superior, I don't know what to say.  The
        > Guide
        > button brings up the guide, not the menu like on CV.  Even the remote's
        > better,
        > although it's missing a "Live" button which I used a lot on CV's DVR.

        When viewing a DVR recording, press "EXIT" to go to immediately to live
        TV.

        > The one area that cable does a better job is with Video on Demand.  On
        > DirecTV,
        > you can only access it with a DVR because it needs to download the
        > show/movie.
        > Once you download it, however, you can watch it on any TV.  Mildly
        > annoying, but
        > workable.  The offerings are plentiful.  Many movies are 1080p.

        And lots of free stuff. Plus, if you subscribe to HBO, you get HBO On
        Demand, etc.

        Welcome to the club! :)

        The widgets are really cool too. Hit the "right" arrow to bring up
        weather, scores, flickr, facebook, etc.
      • Joseph Dubin
        Message 3 of 17 , May 2, 2011
          Hi John,

          Congratulations and glad to know you're happy with DirectTv. Please stay
          aboard so we can compare notes between the two systems. And let us know how
          the 3D looks after you've had a chance to duck from those things coming at
          ya!

          Joe

          On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 9:24 PM, John Hedger <pallhedge@...> wrote:

          > DirecTV has been installed and I just cancelled CV. FYI, there was a 15
          > minute
          > wait to speak to a disconnect rep. I think that desk might be understaffed
          > ;)
          > I told her I was leaving because of no 3D and no HD in the sports
          > subscription
          > packages. Obviously she had no answer to that and graciously put thru the
          > disconnect.
          >
          > So far, I feel I made the right choice. The HD picture quality is
          > noticably
          > better, hard to explain, but it just seems to have more depth. I've had a
          > couple of "wow" moments that I didn't get with CV. The UI, guide, DVR
          > software
          > is so much faster and so far superior, I don't know what to say. The Guide
          >
          > button brings up the guide, not the menu like on CV. Even the remote's
          > better,
          > although it's missing a "Live" button which I used a lot on CV's DVR.
          > Directv
          > DVRs came with 500GB drives.
          >
          > The one area that cable does a better job is with Video on Demand. On
          > DirecTV,
          > you can only access it with a DVR because it needs to download the
          > show/movie.
          > Once you download it, however, you can watch it on any TV. Mildly
          > annoying, but
          > workable. The offerings are plentiful. Many movies are 1080p.
          >
          > Lastly 3D is very very cool. I wish I had done this before The Masters
          > golf.
          >
          > Anyway, this being a CV forum, I've probably gone too far off topic, so
          > I'll
          > leave it at that. I'll stick around for a bit if anyone has questions.
          >

          > ________________________________

          Mary and Joe

        • John Hedger
          Message 4 of 17 , May 6, 2011
            Thanks Aaron and Joe.

            3D looks great.  I've watched both full time 3D channels, n3D and 3net and
            recorded some programming to the DVR.  Haven't seen anything from ESPN3D yet.
            They also have a 3D PPV movie channel.

            ________________________________
            Congratulations and glad to know you're happy with DirectTv.  Please stay
            aboard so we can compare notes between the two systems.  And let us know how
            the 3D looks after you've had a chance to duck from those things coming at
            ya!

            Joe

            On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 9:24 PM, John Hedger <pallhedge@...> wrote:

            > DirecTV has been installed and I just cancelled CV.  FYI, there was a 15
            > minute
            > wait to speak to a disconnect rep.  I think that desk might be understaffed
            > ;)
            > I told her I was leaving because of no 3D and no HD in the sports
            > subscription
            > packages.  Obviously she had no answer to that and graciously put thru the
            > disconnect.
            >
            > So far, I feel I made the right choice.  The HD picture quality is
            > noticably
            > better, hard to explain, but it just seems to have more depth.  I've had a
            > couple of "wow" moments that I didn't get with CV.  The UI, guide, DVR
            > software
            > is so much faster and so far superior, I don't know what to say.  The Guide
            >
            > button brings up the guide, not the menu like on CV.  Even the remote's
            > better,
            > although it's missing a "Live" button which I used a lot on CV's DVR.
            > Directv
            > DVRs came with 500GB drives.
            >
            > The one area that cable does a better job is with Video on Demand.  On
            > DirecTV,
            > you can only access it with a DVR because it needs to download the
            > show/movie.
            > Once you download it, however, you can watch it on any TV.  Mildly
            > annoying, but
            > workable.  The offerings are plentiful.  Many movies are 1080p.
            >
            > Lastly 3D is very very cool.  I wish I had done this before The Masters
            > golf.
            >
            > Anyway, this being a CV forum, I've probably gone too far off topic, so
            > I'll
            > leave it at that.  I'll stick around for a bit if anyone has questions.
            >

            > ________________________________

            Mary and Joe

          • Joseph Dubin
            Message 5 of 17 , May 6, 2011
              John,

              Glad you're enjoying the 3D. Read that 3D will become a feature on most all
              high and middle tier sets by 2014 so there might be some more sharing the
              fun with you. Be careful, however, since many experience headaches and/or
              eyestrain after wearing the glasses for an extended period.

              Joe

              On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 3:17 PM, John Hedger <pallhedge@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Aaron and Joe.
              >
              > 3D looks great. I've watched both full time 3D channels, n3D and 3net and
              > recorded some programming to the DVR. Haven't seen anything from ESPN3D
              > yet.
              > They also have a 3D PPV movie channel.
              >
              > ________________________________

              Mary and Joe

            • Aaron Clow
              Message 6 of 17 , May 6, 2011
                That's why you need a better pair of glasses...

                These are passive, but I guess set tops are heading that way?
                http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/04/pr_3dglasses/

                Good if you see a lot of 3D movies out too. If I went more often, I'd
                probably pick up a pair.

                On Sat, 07 May 2011 00:00 -0400, "Joseph Dubin" <mjgardenia@...>
                wrote:
                > John,
                >
                > Glad you're enjoying the 3D. Read that 3D will become a feature on most
                > all
                > high and middle tier sets by 2014 so there might be some more sharing the
                > fun with you. Be careful, however, since many experience headaches
                > and/or
                > eyestrain after wearing the glasses for an extended period.
                >
                > Joe
              • Alex Reynolds
                Message 7 of 17 , May 6, 2011
                  We should all wait until 3D TVs that don't need glasses become more widespread.