RE: [cablevision_digital] Firewire 5C Flags now set to copy once on HBO/Cinemax

  • Vince Averello
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2009
      My guess is that it's on purpose. Those flags have been set here on the
      Bayonne system for a while so I can't transfer premium channel content
      between my TiVos.

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2009
        I noticed similar problems earlier this year when I tried to transfer some recordings to my iPod. I can't vouch for the validity of this explanation but I Googled "HBO TIVO Copy Protection" and it took me to a discussion that pointed to HBO/Cinemax as the source. In a nutshell, the OP went on to explain that as HBO and Cinemax renegotiate new contracts with the carriers, they are starting to require enforcement of copy restrictions for their programming (http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=406808).
        Whether or not this is true reason for the restrictions, I haven't been able to transfer any HBO or Cinemax recordings consistently for the last several months or so. I'd like to think this is just a mistake but I'm not about to get my hopes up.
        ---PAUL---

        --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Vince Averello <vince@...> wrote:

        > My guess is that it's on purpose. Those flags have
        > been set here on the Bayonne system for a while so
        > I can't transfer premium channel content between
        > my TiVos.

      • seldenpat
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
          Oh...and in case it matters to any Cablevision insiders reading this, I am on the Brookhaven system north of Middle Country Road.

          --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "seldenpat" <phashimo@...> wrote:

          > So, for at least the past 5 years and probably more, I have had the ability to capture HD Transport streams freely to my Mac. First using the old Sony Box and for the past few years through the SA8300HD DVR.
          >
          > This past weekend, I tried to capture The Wrestler on HBO and couldn't. Checked the diagnostic screens and now the HBO family of channels (including Cinemax) are now "copy once", thus no transport stream captures to the Mac.
          >
          > Does anyone (Wilt) know if this has been done on purpose, or if maybe it's just someone forgetting to reset the flags after some test?
          >
          > Any info would be appreciated.

        • mrb0609572002
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
            I'm interested in using the Firewire port on our Cablevision (Monmouth County NJ) 4250HD settop box with my Windows7 PC to capture TV programs....but I was under the impression (after doing some online research) that this was very difficult if not impossible for various reasons. Yet you mention doing just that on your Mac :-)

            I'm hoping you, or some of the other readers here, can point me in the right direction on this.

            Many thanks in advance !

            ==============================

            --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "seldenpat" <phashimo@...> wrote:

            > So, for at least the past 5 years and probably more, I have had the ability to capture HD Transport streams freely to my Mac. First using the old Sony Box and for the past few years through the SA8300HD DVR.
            >
            > This past weekend, I tried to capture The Wrestler on HBO and couldn't. Checked the diagnostic screens and now the HBO family of channels (including Cinemax) are now "copy once", thus no transport stream captures to the Mac.
            >
            > Does anyone (Wilt) know if this has been done on purpose, or if maybe it's just someone forgetting to reset the flags after some test?
            >
            > Any info would be appreciated.

          • Jeff Martz
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
              It can be done on the PC, but with very mixed results. MAC's are just made
              better for digital video and the program that I used to use was extremely
              simple. With Windows you have to deal with drivers and all kinds of other
              stuff (Codecs, filters, direcshow, and all kinds of other nonsense that the
              MAC doesn't have to deal with. - I mean, it does, but the Mac OS handles it
              for you.

              <mailto:cablevision_digital%40yahoogroups.com> , "seldenpat" <phashimo@...>
              wrote:

              > So, for at least the past 5 years and probably more, I have had the
              ability to capture HD Transport streams freely to my Mac. First using the
              old Sony Box and for the past few years through the SA8300HD DVR.

              > This past weekend, I tried to capture The Wrestler on HBO and couldn't.
              Checked the diagnostic screens and now the HBO family of channels (including
              Cinemax) are now "copy once", thus no transport stream captures to the Mac.

              > Does anyone (Wilt) know if this has been done on purpose, or if maybe it's
              just someone forgetting to reset the flags after some test?

              > Any info would be appreciated.

              14:43:00

            • Steven Toth
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2009
                (Shameless plug)

                If you have a Mac you should google AVCNoodle, a firewire capture app
                I wrote for the Mac. I wrote and tested this extensively on
                Cablevision's network with the 4250HD. I support the app directly via
                email and via the forums at AVSForum.

                I also wrote a Mac capture app for the HDPVR, but now I'm really
                getting off topic! :)

                - Steve

                On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 10:52 PM, Jeff Martz <jeffmartz@...> wrote:
                > It can be done on the PC, but with very mixed results.  MAC's are just made
                > better for digital video and the program that I used to use was extremely
                > simple.  With Windows you have to deal with drivers and all kinds of other
                > stuff (Codecs, filters, direcshow, and all kinds of other nonsense that the
                > MAC doesn't have to deal with.  - I mean, it does, but the Mac OS handles it
                > for you.

              • ranger96
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 15, 2009
                  Can you record or copy programming from CNN HD via firewire?
                  On FiOS Turner has turned the copy flag on the firewire port on for all of it's HD channels.