RE: [cablevision_digital] Re: FiOS TV Subs Jump in 1Q

  • Jeff Martz
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2007
      I agree, but it is hurting Cablevision. Their new commercials that talk
      mostly about the 14 hour installation time and the technicians leaving a
      mess is an indication of desperate measures. if all they can attack Verizon
      on is a lengthy installation and the tech leaving some sheetrock or
      something on the rug requiring the home owner to run the vacuum two times
      that week instead of one. that indicates to me that they are losing more
      customers than they are comfortable with losing. I just wish they would
      spend their resources on negotiating deals and not on advertising pointless
      commercials. thankfully I've only seen that commercial once, maybe someone
      at the corporate headquarters saw it and had it removed because it was
      pitiful.

      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2007
        On May 1, 2007, at 9:16 PM, Jeff Martz wrote:

        > Their new commercials that talk
        > mostly about the 14 hour installation time and the technicians
        > leaving a
        > mess is an indication of desperate measures.

        I haven't seen that commercial, but it strikes me as funny.

        Yes, my FiOS install took several hours and was longer than my CV
        install, but it wasn't anywhere near 14 hours! I think it was around
        4 or 5 on the initial install (internet) and then another 3 or so
        when I added TV a year later.

        As for a mess, the CV installer left far more of a mess than the
        Verizon guy did. After Verizon was done, I had to vacuum one small
        area that he had to drill a hole. After CV was done, I also had to
        vacuum a small area after a hole he drilled as well, but I also had a
        ton of cable clippings and whole lengths of wire left all over my
        lawn as well as several metal mounting clips that he removed from my
        house to replace with new ones. I was NOT happy when I ran those over
        with my lawn mower!!

        Also, the Verizon installer snaked a cable inside the wall where it
        belongs without my prompting... the CV guy I had to stop from
        drilling a hole a foot from my wall thru the floor to get to my
        basement... on a finished hard wood floor!!! The CV guy flat out
        refused to put the cable inside the wall where it belongs, I ended up
        having him bring the cable up thru an existing hole in the next room
        and he left it laying on the floor stretched across the room, out the
        door into the next room and to my TV. I then later had to move the
        cable to inside the wall where it belonged.

        I guess what it translates to is, it all has to do with the installer
        you get. If you get a good one, things will be clean, if you get a
        crappy one, expect a mess.

        -chris
        <www.mythtech.net>
      • cb
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2007
          On May 1, 2007, at 10:08 PM, cb wrote:

          >> Their new commercials that talk
          >> mostly about the 14 hour installation time and the technicians
          >> leaving a
          >> mess is an indication of desperate measures.
          >
          > I haven't seen that commercial, but it strikes me as funny.

          Oh, and in case anyone thinks CV is the only one that airs
          commercials that walk a fine line on truth... I just saw a Verizon
          one that did the same thing.

          They started by saying if the power goes out, your phone stays on.
          True for POTS, but then they say if you get internet and TV you can
          bundle them for "one low price". Well, that means it needs to be
          FiOS, which now stretches that idea of the power going out and the
          phone staying on. Sure, as long as the failure is only a few hours or
          less, but once that battery backup runs down, your phone goes out.

          And since there is no reason someone can't put a UPS on their cable
          modem to get the same result for their VoIP service, to me it makes
          the Verizon commercial a little on the truth stretching side with
          their implications.

          -chris
          <www.mythtech.net>
        • face440
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2007
            VZ is bundling DirecTV service so you could have a triple play...
            POTS/DSL/DirecTV... not using FiOS. Also, VZ gives the sub the UPS
            unit.... which, if anyone has priced a decent sized UPS, knows they
            are not cheap. A few hours would cover most power outages unless its
            a severe storm that's impacted service in a wide area.

            and I remember a few CV Optimum Voice customers in my building who
            were out for DAYS after the power was restored following the big
            blackout that hit the Northeast and Canada a few years ago.

            --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, cb <cb@...> wrote:

            > On May 1, 2007, at 10:08 PM, cb wrote:
            >
            > >> Their new commercials that talk
            > >> mostly about the 14 hour installation time and the technicians
            > >> leaving a
            > >> mess is an indication of desperate measures.
            > >
            > > I haven't seen that commercial, but it strikes me as funny.
            >
            > Oh, and in case anyone thinks CV is the only one that airs
            > commercials that walk a fine line on truth... I just saw a Verizon
            > one that did the same thing.
            >
            > They started by saying if the power goes out, your phone stays on.
            > True for POTS, but then they say if you get internet and TV you
            can
            > bundle them for "one low price". Well, that means it needs to be
            > FiOS, which now stretches that idea of the power going out and the
            > phone staying on. Sure, as long as the failure is only a few hours
            or
            > less, but once that battery backup runs down, your phone goes out.
            >
            > And since there is no reason someone can't put a UPS on their
            cable
            > modem to get the same result for their VoIP service, to me it
            makes
            > the Verizon commercial a little on the truth stretching side with
            > their implications.
            >
            > -chris
            > <www.mythtech.net>

          • jimkjr60
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2007
              --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, cb <cb@...> wrote:

              > On May 1, 2007, at 9:16 PM, Jeff Martz wrote:
              >
              > > Their new commercials that talk
              > > mostly about the 14 hour installation time and the technicians
              > > leaving a
              > > mess is an indication of desperate measures.
              >
              > I haven't seen that commercial, but it strikes me as funny.
              >
              > Yes, my FiOS install took several hours and was longer than my CV
              > install, but it wasn't anywhere near 14 hours! I think it was
              around
              > 4 or 5 on the initial install (internet) and then another 3 or so
              > when I added TV a year later.
              >
              > As for a mess, the CV installer left far more of a mess than the
              > Verizon guy did. After Verizon was done, I had to vacuum one small
              > area that he had to drill a hole. After CV was done, I also had to
              > vacuum a small area after a hole he drilled as well, but I also had
              > ton of cable clippings and whole lengths of wire left all over my
              > lawn as well as several metal mounting clips that he removed from
              my
              > house to replace with new ones. I was NOT happy when I ran those
              over
              > with my lawn mower!!
              >
              > Also, the Verizon installer snaked a cable inside the wall where
              it
              > belongs without my prompting... the CV guy I had to stop from
              > drilling a hole a foot from my wall thru the floor to get to my
              > basement... on a finished hard wood floor!!! The CV guy flat out
              > refused to put the cable inside the wall where it belongs, I ended
              up
              > having him bring the cable up thru an existing hole in the next
              room
              > and he left it laying on the floor stretched across the room, out
              the
              > door into the next room and to my TV. I then later had to move the
              > cable to inside the wall where it belonged.
              >

              > I guess what it translates to is, it all has to do with the
              installer
              > you get. If you get a good one, things will be clean, if you get a
              > crappy one, expect a mess.
              >
              > -chris
              > <www.mythtech.net>

              I too had a very good experience with my FIOS triple play install. He
              showed up on time and took about 4-5 hours to finish. He routed and
              rerouted existing wires the proper way and cleaned up all of the
              materials. I'm not sure what CV is using these days, but I was
              particularly impressed with the compression fittings (vs. crimp)
              cable connections he made. I'm sure there are good and bad techs for
              all companies. BTW, my SD picture increased tremendously with FIOS.
              I'm in Bergen County NJ.
            • David Levine
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                Just a little clarity on the backup provided with FIOS. It is a small
                backup unit mounted inside your location near where the fiber
                connection is terminated. The backup provides about 5 minutes of
                Internet access before it cuts the Internet off. Then it provides
                about 4-8 hours of telephone access. It's not a UPS that keeps
                everything up and running, though you could plug their battery backup
                into your own UPS if you wanted.

                Not sure where you are getting your UPS costs, but every time I bought
                one with 3 UPS outlets and 3 surge protected outlets, it was less then
                $50. This has no outlets and only provides power to the ONT for the
                return to the Central Office.

                As for the battery backup unit (BBU), it is actually the customers
                responsibility to maintain and replace it. I think Verizon covers it
                for the first year if it fails, but after that it is the customers
                responsibility (cost) to replace it if it fails. They anticipate it
                lasting 3-4 years, but some folks have reported having to replace it
                after 2 years.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                  On May 2, 2007, at 8:58 AM, David Levine wrote:

                  > As for the battery backup unit (BBU), it is actually the customers
                  > responsibility to maintain and replace it. I think Verizon covers it
                  > for the first year if it fails, but after that it is the customers
                  > responsibility (cost) to replace it if it fails. They anticipate it
                  > lasting 3-4 years, but some folks have reported having to replace it
                  > after 2 years.

                  Do you know if VZ has actually charged anyone for these replacements
                  yet?

                  I know their information says the customer is responsible, but when
                  mine was put in the tech said they almost never enforce that unless
                  it is obvious it is bad because of customer abuse.

                  That matches with VZ's past policy with T1 hardware I've had with
                  them. On that, they also claimed is it is the customer's
                  responsibility to replace the BBU, but in all cases for me (3 of
                  them), they came and replaced it free of charge once they had aged
                  out (all were after about 5 or 6 years, two were actually on the same
                  T1)

                  I'm just curious if they are really charging the customer for the
                  replacement for FiOS. Lower margins on it so I can see them actually
                  doing it there. T1 business service they are much more likely to eat
                  costs to keep the customer happy as they make far more money off it.

                  -chris
                  <www.mythtech.net>