Re: Porting number from Optimum Voice

  • RickNY631
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 1, 2007
      I dont know if this helps you any, because I have no idea of the
      accuracy of the information I was told by the sales rep (I really wish
      Cablevision would allow their reps to say 'I dont know' instead of
      just spewing information that is flat out wrong) -- that the lead time
      for porting Verizon numbers to OV was 5 days, but with Vonage it was
      13 days, but that they did port numbers in from Vonage (Im guessing
      she meant Vonage numbers that were originally Verizon and ported to
      Vonage).

      So, my guess is -- call up and speak to someone else? Stupid that
      youd have to keep playing this game, but thats how things operate
      there unfortunately.

      --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, steve heller <sheller@...>
      wrote:

      > i was told by OV that i cannot port my vonage number back to them.
      > however, i didnt tell them it was an original verizon number, but had
      > they asked, maybe they would have said it could be done. ??
      >
      > RickNY631 wrote:
      >
      > > That is not true. You CAN port a Verizon number that was ported to
      > > Vonage over to OV. YOU remain the customer of record with a Verizon
      > > number. I have heard that in the past, Vonage has been less than
      > > cooperative at times -- in which case it was sometimes necessary to
      > > port back to Verizon first, and then back out to OV.
      > >
      > > You cannot port a Vonage assigned number over to OV (even though the
      > > sales rep I spoke to last week when I called to port my Verizon number
      > > over was insisting to me that they 'do it all the time' -- which isn't
      > > true)
      > >
      > > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:cablevision_digital%40yahoogroups.com>, "Vincent Raicovi"
      > > <vraicovi@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Sorry to hijack, but I also heard that you can't bring a Vonage
      number
      > > > (which was originally a Verizon number) to OV. Any truth to this?

      > > though. if
      > > can't take a

      > > cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com

      <mailto:cablevision_digital%40yahoogroups.com><cablevision_digital%40yahoogroups.com>

      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 1, 2007
        Is that true? I was considering OV now that I know I can port my
        Vonage/Verizon number over, but $40 is a little ridiculous.

        On 3/31/07, Bernie Courtney <bcourtney@...> wrote:

        > What I don't understand is why you need to pay $40 to port a number into
        > Optimum Voice when every other provider does it for free.
        >
        > Bernie

      • Jeff Martz
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 1, 2007
          Cablevision claims that is the fee that the providers charge them to do
          paperwork.

          <mailto:bcourtney%40metrobcast.com> > wrote:

          > What I don't understand is why you need to pay $40 to port a number into
          > Optimum Voice when every other provider does it for free.
          >
          > Bernie

        • RickNY631
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 1, 2007
            You need to speak to a sales rep.. Not only is there a $40 porting
            fee, but there is ALSO a $46.95 service visit charge which is required
            on a number port. I told the sales rep to take a hike, and she came
            back and said they would waive the porting fee and reduce the service
            visit charge to $20.

            --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Bernie Courtney
            <bcourtney@...> wrote:

            > What I don't understand is why you need to pay $40 to port a number
            into Optimum Voice when every other provider does it for free.

            > Bernie

          • bob conde
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 1, 2007
              ...err...I've ported verizon to OV (ok before they said it could be done early 2005)-in their test phase with no issues...later DEC 2005 I ported OV to OV (!) just an address change. Actually, going via the 'normal channels' this was looking like a problem (4 weeks notice asked and more)...yet a CV friend to "all" (W.H.), pulled the correct strings and it was done presto chango with 12 hours notice...!

              There's really no need for a visit (as I can see) when just adding OV to an existing OOL account/location or porting. But, porting or not. But, in early 2005 (b4 porting was officially offered), it was not an automated process and initially out-going calls on my OV phone worked and dialed the STAR...what number am I" code returned the ported number...but, incoming calls to the ported number did not ring on the OV phone.

              Plus, I think CV/OV is rather careful to be sure that the E911 works correctly. IMHO, the $40. port fee is not likely some "industry norm"...but, on the other hand as CV /OV doesn't ask for a contract, it's probably not totally out of line. IF OV /CV required a 1 year contract, then the $40. port fee would be ...just a bit much.

              And, I agree...if these days CV allows an existing OOL customer to add OV without a home sefvice visit, then the port fee plus the $46 is too steep. But, it seems like all of this is negotiable with some effort.

              ...these are the times in which we live"...we have to be smart, but learn to "live with it". After more than 2 years on OV, I'm really happy with the quality and up time. My only problem has been after I moved they changed my Moto 5120 modem/tel adaptor to a Scientific Atlanta modem....it works, but it has a "bug" in that very short main power interruptions do not trigger a powerfail/reboot, leaving OOL internet service working but loosing the dial tone. No I know enough to check for a dial tone after a short ( < 1 sec) power loss). If no dial tone, cycle the SA modem power!

              <bcourtney@...> wrote:

              > What I don't understand is why you need to pay $40 to port a number
              into Optimum Voice when every other provider does it for free.

              > Bernie

            • Bernie Courtney
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 1, 2007
                then why does EVERY other provider eat that fee BUT cablevision?

                On 3/31/07, Bernie Courtney <bcourtney@...<mailto:bcourtney%40metrobcast.com>
                <mailto:bcourtney%40metrobcast.com> > wrote:

                > What I don't understand is why you need to pay $40 to port a number into
                > Optimum Voice when every other provider does it for free.
                >
                > Bernie

              • cb
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 1, 2007
                  On Apr 1, 2007, at 11:39 PM, Bernie Courtney wrote:

                  > then why does EVERY other provider eat that fee BUT cablevision?

                  Could be marketing reasons... but that said, *every* other provider
                  doesn't eat the fee. Verizon charged me $11 to port my Verizon POTS
                  number to Verizon VoiceWing.... that's right, I paid $11 to port my
                  number from them to them.

                  -chris
                  <www.mythtech.net>
                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 2, 2007
                    --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "Vincent Raicovi"
                    <vraicovi@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks Rick. With all the trouble that Vonage is in lately, I've been
                    > considering either SunRocket or giving in to OV.
                    > It's nice to have two options now...

                    because of the Vonage troubles, I'm considering OV. My question is, I
                    have iO silver + O/O. By adding OV, will I qualify for the Optimum
                    Rewards($15/mo for OV) or do I need to upgrade to iO gold for that ?
                  • Donald J Organ IV
                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 2, 2007
                      No iO Silver will do it for you....

                      Everyone just be aware according to multiple People and managers as CV
                      if you move your service area, your OV Number cannot be transfered with you.

                      Mike wrote:

                      > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:cablevision_digital%40yahoogroups.com>, "Vincent Raicovi"
                      > <vraicovi@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Thanks Rick. With all the trouble that Vonage is in lately, I've been
                      > > considering either SunRocket or giving in to OV.
                      > > It's nice to have two options now...
                      > >

                      > because of the Vonage troubles, I'm considering OV. My question is, I
                      > have iO silver + O/O. By adding OV, will I qualify for the Optimum
                      > Rewards($15/mo for OV) or do I need to upgrade to iO gold for that ?

                    • Greg Lowe
                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 2, 2007
                        Anybody else see Network Availability Number being a show stopper when considering moving to OV? That's one Vonage feature I can't live without. Especially in the event of power failures, etc. My Cell rings if my VOIP modem is unreachable for whatever reason.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 2, 2007
                          On Apr 2, 2007, at 7:02 PM, Greg Lowe wrote:

                          > Anybody else see Network Availability Number being a show stopper
                          > when considering moving to OV? That's one Vonage feature I can't
                          > live without. Especially in the event of power failures, etc. My
                          > Cell rings if my VOIP modem is unreachable for whatever reason.

                          I thought OV offered something similar. I know Verizon does with
                          their VoiceWing. You can set a backup number that in the event the
                          VoIP ATA isn't reachable, it will forward the call to your backup
                          number instead.

                          I was pretty sure I've seen people comment on this list about that
                          feature existing with OV.

                          -chris
                          <www.mythtech.net>
                        • Bernie Courtney
                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 2, 2007
                            My cell is my "primary" number anyway, and all the people who have my much more privately held home phone number also have the cell so they would just call that anyway if they couldn't get me on the house phone.

                            Bernie
                            Anybody else see Network Availability Number being a show stopper when considering moving to OV? That's one Vonage feature I can't live without. Especially in the event of power failures, etc. My Cell rings if my VOIP modem is unreachable for whatever reason.

                            > Thanks Rick. With all the trouble that Vonage is in lately, I've been
                            > considering either SunRocket or giving in to OV.
                            > It's nice to have two options now...

                            because of the Vonage troubles, I'm considering OV. My question is, I
                            have iO silver + O/O. By adding OV, will I qualify for the Optimum
                            Rewards($15/mo for OV) or do I need to upgrade to iO gold for that ?

                          • steve heller
                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 2, 2007
                              was anyone told there was a $40 transfer fee from vonage to OV? i was
                              told this today, and thought it was posted here last week, but wasnt
                              sure. i've decided
                              to go back to OV, as it will only be 14.95 per month since i've already
                              got OOL and IO.

                              RickNY631 wrote:

                              > I dont know if this helps you any, because I have no idea of the
                              > accuracy of the information I was told by the sales rep (I really wish
                              > Cablevision would allow their reps to say 'I dont know' instead of
                              > just spewing information that is flat out wrong) -- that the lead time
                              > for porting Verizon numbers to OV was 5 days, but with Vonage it was
                              > 13 days, but that they did port numbers in from Vonage (Im guessing
                              > she meant Vonage numbers that were originally Verizon and ported to
                              > Vonage).
                              >
                              > So, my guess is -- call up and speak to someone else? Stupid that
                              > youd have to keep playing this game, but thats how things operate
                              > there unfortunately.
                              >
                              > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com
                              > <mailto:cablevision_digital%40yahoogroups.com>, steve heller <sheller@...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > i was told by OV that i cannot port my vonage number back to them.
                              > > however, i didnt tell them it was an original verizon number, but had
                              > > they asked, maybe they would have said it could be done. ??
                              > >
                              > > RickNY631 wrote:
                              > >
                              > > > That is not true. You CAN port a Verizon number that was ported to
                              > > > Vonage over to OV. YOU remain the customer of record with a Verizon
                              > > > number. I have heard that in the past, Vonage has been less than
                              > > > cooperative at times -- in which case it was sometimes necessary to
                              > > > port back to Verizon first, and then back out to OV.
                              > > >
                              > > > You cannot port a Vonage assigned number over to OV (even though the
                              > > > sales rep I spoke to last week when I called to port my Verizon number
                              > > > over was insisting to me that they 'do it all the time' -- which isn't
                              > > > true)
                              > > >
                              > > > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com
                              > <mailto:cablevision_digital%40yahoogroups.com>
                              > > > <mailto:cablevision_digital%40yahoogroups.com>, "Vincent Raicovi"

                              > number

                              > > > though. if
                              > > > can't take a

                              > > > cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com
                              > <mailto:cablevision_digital%40yahoogroups.com>
                              > > >
                              > <mailto:cablevision_digital%40yahoogroups.com><cablevision_digital%40yahoogroups.com>
                              > > > > >
                              > > > [mailto:cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com

                            • Aaron Clow
                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 3, 2007
                                It did cost me $40 "transfer fee" to move from AT&T
                                CallVantage to OV.

                                --- steve heller <sheller@...> wrote:

                                > was anyone told there was a $40 transfer fee from
                                > vonage to OV? i was
                                > told this today, and thought it was posted here last
                                > week, but wasnt
                                > sure. i've decided
                                > to go back to OV, as it will only be 14.95 per month
                                > since i've already
                                > got OOL and IO.

                                Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
                                in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.
                              • Mike
                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 4, 2007
                                  Can anyone with OV confirm that this is or isn't a feature with OV ?
                                  Wilt ?

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 4, 2007
                                    Here is the response from the OV website. I'd give you the link to it, but it appears that it has my login information imbedded in the link. I should also note that if you have the voicemail notification turned on, if someone leaves a voice mail, it will automatically alert you via email or your cell phone. So while it isn't the same as Vonage and other companies, it is still a good fall-back for the limited amount of times my service has been down.

                                    Question
                                    If someone is trying to call me and my service is out - what will they hear?

                                    Answer
                                    If you have your Optimum Voice voicemail active, the call will be sent to your voicemail box, where the caller may leave a message. If voicemail is not active, the caller will hear a fast busy signal.

                                    > Can anyone with OV confirm that this is or isn't a feature with
                                    > OV ?
                                    > Wilt ?
                                    >
                                    > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Greg Lowe
                                    > wrote:>
                                    > > Anybody else see Network Availability Number being a show stopper
                                    > when considering moving to OV? That's one Vonage feature I can't live
                                    > without. Especially in the event of power failures, etc. My Cell rings
                                    > if my VOIP modem is unreachable for whatever reason.

                                    Eric

                                  • Mike
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Apr 4, 2007
                                      thanks

                                      --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, green99@... wrote:

                                      > Here is the response from the OV website. I'd give you the link
                                      to it, but it appears that it has my login information imbedded in the
                                      link. I should also note that if you have the voicemail notification
                                      turned on, if someone leaves a voice mail, it will automatically alert
                                      you via email or your cell phone. So while it isn't the same as
                                      Vonage and other companies, it is still a good fall-back for the
                                      limited amount of times my service has been down.

                                      > Question
                                      > If someone is trying to call me and my service is out - what will
                                      they hear?

                                      > Answer
                                      > If you have your Optimum Voice voicemail active, the call will be
                                      sent to your voicemail box, where the caller may leave a message. If
                                      voicemail is not active, the caller will hear a fast busy signal.

                                    • Lou Levinson
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Apr 4, 2007
                                        >>-- that lead time for porting Verizon numbers to OV was 5 days,
                                        All I can tell you is what I experienced, when I ordered OV and ported a VZ
                                        number I got an install date 6 days later (Sun order next Saturday Install).
                                        CV called on Wednesday saying "Verizon will not release the number by
                                        Friday can we reschedule".
                                        Had to take a day off but the following Tuesday the number was ported and OV
                                        installed with only a few curse words from Tech when he was on the phone and
                                        in the closet performing the cutover.

                                        FWIW

                                        wrote:

                                        > i was told by OV that i cannot port my vonage number back to them.
                                        > however, i didnt tell them it was an original verizon number, but had
                                        > they asked, maybe they would have said it could be done. ??
                                        >
                                        > RickNY631 wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > That is not true. You CAN port a Verizon number that was ported to
                                        > > Vonage over to OV. YOU remain the customer of record with a Verizon
                                        > > number. I have heard that in the past, Vonage has been less than
                                        > > cooperative at times -- in which case it was sometimes necessary to
                                        > > port back to Verizon first, and then back out to OV.
                                        > >
                                        > > You cannot port a Vonage assigned number over to OV (even though the
                                        > > sales rep I spoke to last week when I called to port my Verizon number
                                        > > over was insisting to me that they 'do it all the time' -- which isn't
                                        > > true)
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com
                                        > > <mailto:cablevision_digital%40yahoogroups.com>, "Vincent Raicovi"
                                        > > <vraicovi@> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Sorry to hijack, but I also heard that you can't bring a Vonage
                                        number
                                        > > > (which was originally a Verizon number) to OV. Any truth to this?

                                        > > though. if
                                        > > can't take a

                                        > > cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com

                                        <mailto:cablevision_digital%40yahoogroups.com><cablevision_digital%40yahoogr
                                        oups.com>

                                        > > [mailto:cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com

                                        <mailto:cablevision_digital%40yahoogroups.com><cablevision_digital%40yahoogr
                                        oups.com>
                                        Voice

                                        > > went

                                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                                      • Lou Levinson
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Apr 4, 2007
                                          I paid $40 port fee and $9.95 discounted special install fee because I had
                                          DSL.

                                          <bcourtney@...> wrote:

                                          > What I don't understand is why you need to pay $40 to port a number
                                          into Optimum Voice when every other provider does it for free.

                                          > Bernie

                                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                                        • RickNY631
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Apr 5, 2007
                                            I did want to follow up with this message and say that I had my OV
                                            install yesterday with the number ported over from Verizon, and that
                                            it went off without a hitch.. The port went through fine, the
                                            installer was great and was very knowledgeable, showed up in the
                                            appointment window, swapped out the modems and everything was running
                                            great. The Verizon line was dead this morning when I checked it, so I
                                            guess everything was completed with the port just fine.

                                            Rick

                                            --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "RickNY631" <rick3271@...>
                                            wrote:

                                            > You need to speak to a sales rep.. Not only is there a $40 porting
                                            > fee, but there is ALSO a $46.95 service visit charge which is required
                                            > on a number port. I told the sales rep to take a hike, and she came
                                            > back and said they would waive the porting fee and reduce the service
                                            > visit charge to $20.
                                            >

                                            > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Bernie Courtney
                                            > <bcourtney@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > What I don't understand is why you need to pay $40 to port a number
                                            > into Optimum Voice when every other provider does it for free.
                                            > >
                                            > > Bernie

                                          • steve heller
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Apr 5, 2007
                                              Rick, good to hear your OV port went off without a hitch. i'm scheduled
                                              next week, but after reading about the reduction in
                                              the porting fee if you make a stink, i was curious if you got any kind
                                              of discount?
                                              steve