RE: [cablevision_digital] Re: Digital channel switch delay

  • David Levine
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
      I have a 4200HD. If I enter 0707 to go to channel 7 it takes the number
      immediately and in 2 seconds or maybe 3 tops, my TV is displaying the
      channel. I'd look to exchange your box as Rick posted, unless it's a signal
      issue. Or maybe, if you haven't yet, unplug it and reboot the box. I haven't
      had a power outage here so my box has been up for a couple months without
      rebooting.

      The only delay I really ever notice is pressing the guide button and
      bringing up the initial guide screen. Once on that screen bringing up the
      channel grid isn't bad and moving around the grid is fine. It's not as fast
      as on the 8300 I have but I spend my time watching TV and not watching the
      guide so a second or two isn't a real concern of mine.

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
        Well you're in the minority. I just hooked up a Slingbox to my 4200HD, and
        a guy at work who has TimeWarner cable was playing with it, and he was
        horrified at how crappy the performance was. When he pushed GUIDE and the
        video disappeared for close to five seconds, he was about ready to
        disconnect and reconnect thinking that he broke the video. Not to mention
        when he pushed GUIDE and got a menu, and then heard the crackling in the
        audio that took place when the menu then when the guide came up. and when he
        saw that Cablevision couldn't even align the video properly in the little
        box on the top of the guide. he just couldn't believe that this was what
        people were paying for. When on HD channels, the stupid box has horrendous
        digital compression and breakup on the HD channels when it's squeezed back
        in the guide. and the Slingbox is so clear, that you could CLEARLY see the
        breakup since it was so bad.

        It's absolutely pathetic and they really should get off their rear-ends and
        fix this crap. Because it's getting tiring.

        RickNY631 wrote:
        > If thats not an exaggeration, then something is seriously wrong with
        > your specific box. They are not THAT bad.
        >

        > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:cablevision_digital%40yahoogroups.com> , Eric Greenberg
        > <green99@...> wrote:
        >
        > Sometimes I can enter the 4 digits to change channels, go to
        >
        >> the bathroom, and come back and watch the last digit enter itself
        >> into the box. And that is not an exaggeration either.
        >>
        >> Eric

      • David Levine
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
          That's a rather irrelevant test. I have a Slingbox as well hooked up
          to my 8300 with 5mb upload at home and a T3 at work and the response
          time from the SB to the device isn't anything close to what it is when
          I'm home. I guess the only less accurate test you could have done is
          running SB on a PPC on a 802.11b connection.

          On 9/1/06, Jeff Martz <jeffmartz@...> wrote:
          > Well you're in the minority. I just hooked up a Slingbox to my 4200HD, and
          > a guy at work who has TimeWarner cable was playing with it, and he was
          > horrified at how crappy the performance was. When he pushed GUIDE and the
          > video disappeared for close to five seconds, he was about ready to
          > disconnect and reconnect thinking that he broke the video. Not to mention
          > when he pushed GUIDE and got a menu, and then heard the crackling in the
          > audio that took place when the menu then when the guide came up. and when he
          > saw that Cablevision couldn't even align the video properly in the little
          > box on the top of the guide. he just couldn't believe that this was what
          > people were paying for. When on HD channels, the stupid box has horrendous
          > digital compression and breakup on the HD channels when it's squeezed back
          > in the guide. and the Slingbox is so clear, that you could CLEARLY see the
          > breakup since it was so bad.
        • Jeff Martz
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
            The simple fact of the matter, the GUIDE makes the video disappear for
            several seconds. That is visible on the Slingbox. The digital compression
            that ONLY shows up in the little squeezed back window in the guide is
            visible on the Slingbox as well as on the TV. When my friend controls his
            Tivo, the response time is MUCH better and it's definitely a noticeable
            difference. The fact of the matter is, the Slingbox is showing you what's
            going on. If the box makes the video disappear for 5 or more seconds,
            you're going to see 5 or more seconds of black on the Slingbox. might be
            delayed, but you'll still see it. When the guide initially opens up and
            sits on the screen with nothing on it, and takes 3-5 seconds to populate
            text on the screen.. you see it. It happens when I'm sitting in front of
            the TV. so you definitely see it on the Slingbox.

            My point being. a Time Warner customer was able to see a sluggish interface
            through a Slingbox. he picked out EVERY one of my gripes and it was his
            first time ever seeing a Cablevision box in use.. so even if the Slingbox
            isn't the BEST quality in the world. he was still able to pick out the
            problems that I have with the interface, especially that stupid menu that
            comes up when you hit GUIDE, and how the guide is extremely slow to load
            when you finally can push GUIDE for the second time on the menu to actually
            get it to open up.