Re: Direct recording of digital cable channels?

  • ijardine
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
      That's an interesting machine.

      Re Speed it seems to be encryped right ow as my QAM tuner can't pull
      it in.

      Also some CV people I have talked to are awware that the digital move
      is knocking out the usefulness of existing TIVOs and ReplayTVs and
      said they (CV) were looking into remedies. Not sure whether anything
      will happen though. Existing TIVOs and ReplayTVs appear to take
      analog and record it digitally, thus one would need a cable box which
      afforded an analog Video out (as well as say a HDMI out to go to the
      latest TVs) to which the machines could be hooked up. That would be a
      realy hybrid box.
      I really don't know why CV have encyrpted Speed for now. They do not
      consider it "premium" content or anything.

      Meantime I am looking at my Samsung HLR6168W. It has Viseo and Audio
      component outs. I am wondering if I tune the TV/CC to Speed (and hold
      that station) could I sue these "OUTS" to go into a recorder and
      wonder is it an analog out or digital of some sort? The manual
      doesn't tell me anything useful.

      --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, M K <mhkraml@...> wrote:

      > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/27/technology/27tivo.html?
      ei=5090&en=3f1df15386e85d4f&ex=1303790400&adxnnl=1&partner=rssuserland
      &emc=rss&adxnnlx=1151838063-uhnqMC7PcuBwqpA+bpX9TQ

      > The above box from tivo will do what you need for
      > digital non encrypted channels. It can hold you over
      > until the HD dual tuner Tivo comes out.
      >
      > mk
      >
      > --- ranger96 <ranger96@...> wrote:
      >
      > > The comments about the cable card and Tvio got me
      > > wondering,
      > > Does the SA DVR cable box, since it works with a
      > > cable card, let you
      > > directly capture the mpeg2 streams of the digital
      > > cable channels with
      > > no recompression?
      > >
      > > I ask cause the downside to using a Tivo or DVD-R
      > > recorder to record
      > > from digital cable is those devices have no direct
      > > access to the mpeg2
      > > stream so the Tivo or DVD-R is recompressing that
      > > mpeg2 stream when
      > > you record from a digital cable box.
      > >
      > > A QAM tuner card for a computer will let you
      > > directly record from the
      > > digital channels with out recompressing the video
      > > but only for the
      > > channels that are not encrypted.

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • ranger96
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
        Same for me, all non broadcast digital cable channels are encryped.
        It would be nice if they developed a UBS cable card reader that would
        work with Computer QAM tuner cards.

        I guess they answer to directly recording all digital cable channels
        would be a DVR with a bulit in QAM tuner and cable card slot.